Latest post Sat, Oct 28 2017 2:01 PM by Martin in Chicago. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 24 2017 5:06 PM

Latest MC Version My Mac Will Accomodate?

I'm trying to hold onto my Mac Pro (specs below) as long as I can, but I would like to run the latest version of Media Composer that is reasonable. Everymac.com says the latest OS I can run is 10.11.6. The Media Composer Legacy Matrix Chart says that OS will run anything from v.8.6.2 through 8.9. However, Avid's CPU specs say I should have quit updatingmy Mac somewhere back in v.7.x. I've happily run MC v.8.6.1 on OS 10.10.5 for quite some time though. Can I go further?

In case that was too wordy: What's the latest OS/Media Composer configuration anyone has run on a Mac Pro configured like mine?

Thanks,

Martin

System 1: Early 2009 Nehalem MacPro4,1, 2 X 2.6 GHz Quad-Core updated with Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB for my system drive, 32 GB RAM and ATI Radeon HD 4870 GRFX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 24 2017 8:55 PM In reply to

Re: Latest MC Version My Mac Will Accomodate?

You should be fine. I support an editor that was using a Nehalem Mac as her main system untill last week. MC 8.9.x on OS 10.11.x. She does standard creative editorial, no effects, etc. using DNX media. An assistant would transcode on a newer Mac.

If you're happy with your computer's performance now, you'll be OK. But the clock is ticking.

Robert

• Tue, Oct 24 2017 9:21 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,251
    • Points 39,455

If you want to squeeze more out of the old war horse, and you are technically inclined, you could upgrade your 4,1 to a 5,1 and upgrade to beefier CPUs.

That would allow the OS upgrade to 10.12 land (Sierra) and the faster CPUs would help with transcodes.

Some Mac geeks say that a fully upgraded 5,1 is equal to a Trash Can Mac Pro.

Just a thought.  You should run the numbers to see if it makes sense to you.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Oct 24 2017 9:54 PM In reply to

That's encouraging, Robert, but so many things in there:

Robert Ferguson:
    MC 8.9.x on OS 10.11.x. She does standard creative editorial, no effects, etc. using DNX media.

I do quite a few effects and run Boris Continuum. I wonder what sort of luck she would have had if she had been doing effects.

Robert Ferguson:
    An assistant would transcode on a newer Mac.
    I do all my own transcodes and on this computer.

Robert Ferguson:
    the clock is ticking.
    How so? Will I soon not be able to get a recent version?

Martin

System 1: Early 2009 Nehalem MacPro4,1, 2 X 2.6 GHz Quad-Core updated with Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB for my system drive, 32 GB RAM and ATI Radeon HD 4870 GRFX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 24 2017 9:58 PM In reply to

jef:
    If you want to squeeze more out of the old war horse, and you are technically inclined, you could upgrade your 4,1 to a 5,1 and upgrade to beefier CPUs.
    Thanks Jef. If I could just get you to online everything for me as you did at Capital in the 90's, none of this would matter.

I think I'm tired of upgrading this beast at least until we see what the next gen proves to be.

Good to hear from you across the continent.

Martin

• Wed, Oct 25 2017 3:23 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,251
    • Points 39,455

Ha!  I did not even read who wrote this!!  Good to see you as well.

For perspective:

https://ibuildmacs.com/products/macpro-2010-2011-12-core/

We are still running hod rodded Mac Pro cheese grater 5,1s here and they get the job done.

With Apple being such dunder heads, we may have to jump to PCs soon.

As the late Tom Petty sang, "The waiting is the hardest part .."

Cheers

Jef in DC

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Wed, Oct 25 2017 2:22 PM In reply to

jef:

For perspective:

https://ibuildmacs.com/products/macpro-2010-2011-12-core/

I notice they don't seem to want to touch my particular model. I wonder why that is.

Martin

• Wed, Oct 25 2017 3:00 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,251
    • Points 39,455

They do not do upgrades that I know of.  I sent this more as an example of how vibrant the used "Cheesegrater" market of Mac Pro's is.

Plus, since as I understand it that you can upgrade a 4,1 to 5,1 by "flashing" a prom or something along those lines, it makes sense to only deal in the 5,1 world.

In all honesty, for the same relative amount of cash, you can buy a used HP z820 with a lot more power and connectivity.  But I totally understand the allure of the Mac OS world.

Just providing some food for thought.

Cheers,

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Wed, Oct 25 2017 5:21 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,208
    • Points 14,640

If you're vaguely capable with a wrench, then I would totally do that. The top-end processors for the Mac Pro can be found in the $100 range on eBay, then max out the memory and upgrade the GPU. You'll be surprised how much we can get out of those machines for a relatively cheap (well way cheaper than buying another machine!). 

Depends where you are on the globe, but if you're not a screwdriver fan, there are a lot of places hotroding (great use of this verb for a Mac!) those machines.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 25 2017 6:06 PM In reply to

I have already upgraded other aspects of my Mac, but I would really just like to find out what success (e.g. what version of Media Composer) anyone has had with the processor I already have. Not eager right now to dive into the box.

Martin

• Wed, Oct 25 2017 7:39 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,208
    • Points 14,640

It depends on what you're cutting with. As a side machine, I use a MacBook Pro that's way underpowered compared to your machine and it's happy editing DNxHD36 with the current 8.9.2 - I've even done DNX115 with it. It's just much slower on exports.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 25 2017 8:56 PM In reply to

That is helpful, Pierre, thanks. I'm still hoping someone's going to spot this question that's working on the same rig I have.

Martin

• Thu, Oct 26 2017 5:19 PM In reply to

Can't imagine it's going to matter, but I just realized I provided the wrong link for my CPU. The correct one is here.

Martin

• Fri, Oct 27 2017 8:49 AM In reply to

• Tiger_XP
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 2 2007
    • Posts 460
    • Points 5,075

Latest and future MC versions vs Latest and future Mac OS versions.

1. Use restore in disk utilities (free) or duplicate in Drive Genius or Carbon Copy to clone your main drive

2. Remove the original and replace with the clone

3. Update the OS to the desired version. Update MC to the desired version

4. Test run all apps and hardware!

5. If all is fine then no trouble shooting is needed.

6. If major issues occur, replace the clone with the original and you're up and running

A thorough test run should detect any issue. It will all come out in the wash! Geeked

• Fri, Oct 27 2017 1:19 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,208
    • Points 14,640

Martin in Chicago:

Can't imagine it's going to matter, but I just realized I provided the wrong link for my CPU. The correct one is here.

The one I have, the ideal candidate for processor(s) upgrade. ;)

Having said that, I would try to snap this card or spend more on that one as it's totally plug and play with your setup. I mean you can aiso flash it yourself, but from what you wrote there is not too much desire on doing so, and I don't blame you as it's a bit tedious.

And then clone the drive as suggested, then install the latest 8.9.2, it works pretty well on those Mac pros if you have fast hard drives.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller