Latest post Mon, Oct 9 2017 5:18 PM by tdunlop. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Oct 7 2017 12:50 AM

• tdunlop
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, May 29 2011
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

Relinking AMA Media -- changed clip names

Uprez question:

I inherited a project where some transcoded Iphone footage was renamed from the original clip names in the master clip, and also in the AMA clips. There are relatively few files, but enough that overwriting in the uprez timeline would be a pain.

Despite the changed names, batch import can most of the time correctly guess (or it knows) the original source files, but once imported then they won't relink (using relink to selected media in all open bins). Still, when it can't, I know what files are the originals easily enough. 

My question is:

At this stage:

Is there a way I can modify the Master Clip and AMA Clip names to match and thereby relink? Is there ANY metadata I can modify and match to reliably enable a relink, if I know which Clip matches which AMA file with their crummy changed names?

Or do I just resign myself to overwriting in all of its inelegance.

3.5GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16GB 1600 MHzDDR3

Avid Media Composer 6.5.4.7

3.5GHz Intel Core i7 Memory 16GB 1600 MHzDDR3 Avid Media Composer 6.5.4.7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 7 2017 7:18 PM In reply to

Re: Relinking AMA Media -- changed clip names

AMA clips aren't imported so you can't batch import?

Its the source file name and source path that are important not the clip names. Clip names aren't important.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sun, Oct 8 2017 2:41 PM In reply to

• Dennis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 6 2009
    • Posts 76
    • Points 850
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

You say the iPhone camera original was transcoded.    Was it transcoded outside of Media Composer and then linked or was it Linked in Media Composer then transcoded.  When in this process were the files renamed?

Right click on an offline master clip. Choose "get info"  This will reveal the file name of the linked or imported file AND the last file path.    Perhaps this will be the correct name of the camera original file.   If it is, search for the renamed file and rename it with the correct file named in "get info"  Regardless, "get info" is the only place to find the information that will allow you to give the files the correct names for relinking. 

MacBook Pro Retina 16 gig ram, Mac Pro 12 core, 16 gig Ram. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 9 2017 5:18 PM In reply to

• tdunlop
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, May 29 2011
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

The files were rennamed once they were in the AVID project.

I'll try the get info method.

Thanks! More to come.

3.5GHz Intel Core i7 Memory 16GB 1600 MHzDDR3 Avid Media Composer 6.5.4.7 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller