Latest post Wed, Aug 9 2017 11:21 AM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 8 2017 8:39 AM

• VisualsCH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 1 2015
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Adding Nexis Pro to existing ISIS7000 > Network questions

Hi, I'd like to add a Nexis pro to an existing ISIS7000 set-up. 

the existing set-up has a few clients connected directly to ISIS Switch blades (Zone 1), but most of the clients are connected to a Foundry switch with 1Gb link, that switch being connected to ISB with 10 Gb (Zone2). 

From what I could see during the tests, traffic is split using two VLANS in the switch, in addition to subnet separation (255.255.255.128 subnet mask on clients). 

With recent NEXIS client version, I could quite easily connect to both ISIS/NEXIS at the same time and mount volumes from both storage groups.

Questions : 

- what would be the best way to manage the network and IP adressing ? As far as I know the NEXIS can only be accessed from one 10 Gb port, meaning one IP adress, so I can't assign it in the two subnets. 

- About the wiring : Today for testing purposes, the NEXIS is connected with 10 Gb to a DELL 2024 switch, which is connected using 1Gb to the Foundry switch. Of coursethere is a bottleneck from the 1Gb connection between both switches. The Foundry switch has a free 10Gb optical port, can I use it to connect the NEXIS engine ? Don't know if there is any available cable for NEXIS QSFP to 10 Gb optical.... 

Thanks for your help. 

• Tue, Aug 8 2017 5:48 PM In reply to

Re: Adding Nexis Pro to existing ISIS7000 > Network questions

The NEXIS | PRO is supported with optical and SFP+. You should use a Mellanox SFP+ for the NEXIS.

There hasn't been any testing with Dell Twinax cable and the Foundry switch. Often switch vendors will only work with their own branded Twinax cables.

You can leave the QSFP adapter in the NEXIS and just use either the Twinax cable or a SFP+.

There should be no issue with the Foundry switch with the PRO.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Wed, Aug 9 2017 7:16 AM In reply to

• VisualsCH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 1 2015
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Thanks Bob, 

now I have to check how to make the Nexis Pro available from all the machines with are separated on several subnets....

• Wed, Aug 9 2017 11:21 AM In reply to

The setup I would go for are 4 VLAN's

1. 10G ISIS7000 left 

2. 10G ISIS7000 right

3. 10G NEXIS

4. Editing clients.

and enable inter vlan routing.

Now there are several ways to distribute clients over both ISIS 7000 connections.

This document

http://avid.force.com/pkb/servlet/fileField?retURL=%2Fpkb%2Farticles%2Fen_US%2FCompatibility%2Fen244197&entityId=ka15A0000003fAkQAI&field=Attachment_1__Body__s

has all the info you need. 

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller