Latest post Mon, Aug 14 2017 1:30 AM by Mondo. 22 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 7 2017 7:44 PM In reply to

Re: gather all used ama files and project in a new folder

i made an experiment

create a 3 minutes movie using 4 clips

the 4 clips size is 1 gb..so if i save the original and th eproject with ama i have 1 gb space

then i tried transcoding to 185..and still i have 1 gb of transcoded files..

of course the transcoding only take the used portion and save gb even if creates bigger files

at the end result are similar, the two options for the final storage have both pros and cons

what would you suggest?

CPU I7 2600k 3.4ghz Ram 32gb Ssd 256gb GPU Nvidia GTX760 Win 10 Avid Media 8.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 8 2017 1:43 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,620
    • Points 18,525

stefanocps:

at the end result are similar, the two options for the final storage have both pros and cons

what would you suggest?

It depends on what you are trying to achieve. There are basically two different workflows and different sub-workflows. Remember both the workflows below rely on archiving the original Avid project and any linked graphics, audio etc.

1: Archive camera originals. 

If you are using a format that Avid supports natively - eg XDCAM or ProRes then consolidate is the most efficient method - simply consolidate all your master timelines with handles. This will re-wrap them in MXF format inside your Avid MediaFiles directory. Because the codec and data rate doesn't change then it will be smaller - how much depends on your shooting ratio. You can then use a program like MDV Avid to store all those files by project.

Remember any method that includes consolidating and deleting your oriignal camera files means you cannot do a re-edit with alternative takes. 

The other way to archive camera originals is simply to archive all the camera originals. This is preferred if you need the flexibility of re-editing with material not used in the original project. You can also archive all camera originals by consolidating.. this might save space if there are takes you know you will never use. Simply don't bother consolidating them.

2: Transcode and archive.

Same basic process as the first method above but using trancode instead of consoilidate on all master timelines.

Where media is not native - eg AVCHD then you need to transcode - for standard edits with media other than high data rate camera originals (such as ProRes, DNxHD, RedRaw) this may not save much space, if any. For longer multicams you may halve the amount of space needed depending on how many cameras. Once again - no possibility of new edits with alt takes. And also again - use MDV_Avid to move those transcoded clips into a separate project directory.

One potential disadvantage is that transcoding takes significantly longer than consolidating. 

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Tue, Aug 8 2017 8:25 AM In reply to

Heres a simple trick.

Ensure your final sequence is in a bin on its own.

In the fast menu for that bin select "set Bin Display"

Then tick the bottom option "Show Referenece Clips"

The bin will now fill with clips that relate to that sequence. Select all of them and then deselect the sequence.

Copy all those clips to a new empty bin.

Go back to the sequence bin and In the fast menu for that bin select "set Bin Display"

The deselect the "Show Referenece Clips" and the clips in that bin will now disapear (bin is back to normal)

You now have a sequence bin and a bin of all the clips used in that sequence.

For export I would do an Audio and video mixdown (2 seperate steps) chose a suitable quality like DNX90 or 120

Then do a Same As Source export. then use a 3rd party app like Squeeze to convert to H264. Remember to convert from 601/709 levels to full range levels at some point.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Aug 8 2017 8:34 AM In reply to

Why you suhgest a 3tfbpart for compression instead of using.avid.itself?

CPU I7 2600k 3.4ghz Ram 32gb Ssd 256gb GPU Nvidia GTX760 Win 10 Avid Media 8.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 9 2017 12:54 PM In reply to

Also what mxf transcoding rate would you suggest?

original files are 1920x1080 50p 50mbs

project is 1920x1080 25p

dnx120 is enough?

• Thu, Aug 10 2017 3:18 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,620
    • Points 18,525

stefanocps:

Also what mxf transcoding rate would you suggest?

original files are 1920x1080 50p 50mbs

project is 1920x1080 25p

dnx120 is enough?

Well i woud never record at 50P unless I was planning to slo-mo the footage later. If your final project rate is 25P it will look better if you shoot at 25P (well its a subjective call I guess) - the right amount of motion blur, twice the amount of data for each frame etc.

For 25P material shot in compressed formats (eg 50Mbs), mastering at 120 is acceptable. High motion material like sports you might want to step up to a higher data rate like 185. if you can tell the difference let me know...

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Thu, Aug 10 2017 3:23 PM In reply to

i shot at 50p because i wanted to be ready to do slowmotion in cas ei needed

then...i didn't

so i go on 120

and what about final export with compression for h264. there are few settings

i need it for vimeo now

• Mon, Aug 14 2017 1:30 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,620
    • Points 18,525

stefanocps:

and what about final export with compression for h264. there are few settings

i need it for vimeo now

I'd go with the recommended templates - In AME that's VBr 1 pass @ 16Mb/s for 1080P

John

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller