Latest post Mon, Jul 31 2017 8:05 PM by photog007. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 28 2017 10:00 PM

• photog007
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 27 2006
    • Posts 42
    • Points 470

Moving Media from Standalone system to Interplay

I posted this recently to the Interplay forum, but did not receive any suggestions so I am posting this here to see if anyone may have any insights since it involves a standalone Mac and a PC on interplay.

--

We have a situation where I am editing remotely away from the main post-production facility on a standalone Mac runnning MC 7 not on interplay.   I often ingest most of the project media on this system to local drives.  I then need to travel to the post production faciility and get the media onto the interplay system there so that multiple editors can work with the media.  The interplay system is also MC 7 but PC.

Generally I have been connecting the external drive containing the media to one of the interplay workstations and copying the MXF files at the desktop level from the external drive to the ISIS workspace.  Then copying the bins over as well to the project folder (which resides on a different workspace) But we have been noticing that for every 30 or 40 hours of video copied this way, we get a handful of offline files.  Often it is part of a clip - for instance the audio will be online but the video is offline.

When looking at the ISIS workspace and comparing it to the external drive it can be determined that in fact a few files were not copied when the bulk copy happened.  When those individual files are selected on the external drive and copied to the workspace, they show as copied on the workspace - for a short time - but upon restart, they are gone - no longer on the workspace.  FYI - The file count of the folder being copied to on the interplay workspace is well under 5,000 files.

Does anyone have any idea why some files don't seem to "stick" when copied this way?  And secondly, is there a better workflow for moving media onto an Interplay system from a remote system (cloud option not possible due to cost and setup)

0 0 1 245 1400 CBS 11 3 1642 14.0 Normal 0 false false false EN-US JA X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Thanks

Mid 2010 MacPro 2x2.66 GHz 6core Westmere 14 GB RAM OS 10.10.5 MC v7.0.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 29 2017 1:03 PM In reply to

• blindpew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 5 2011
    • Posts 45
    • Points 485

Re: Moving Media from Standalone system to Interplay

I've found consolidating clips over to shared storage systems to be more reliable than moving media at the finder level

freelance - hence many and various... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 29 2017 7:13 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 9 2006
    • New York / Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 759
    • Points 8,960

@photog007: given these are true:

photog007:
    I often ingest most of the project media on this system to local drives.

photog007:
    Generally I have been connecting the external drive containing the media to one of the interplay workstations and copying the MXF files at the desktop level from the external drive to the ISIS workspace.

Try this:

1. Grab a copy of MDVx for your Mac - http://djfio.ru/mdv/

2. With all drives connected to your Mac, launch MDVx and click [BIG RED BUTTON].

3. With all of your drives selected, click [OK, Go!].

4. You'll see a Project Summary. Give it a look, then click [Wow!].

5. Next, click [Filter Content]. Check the boxes next to the project(s) you need to move, then click [Done].

photog007:
    But we have been noticing that for every 30 or 40 hours of video copied this way, we get a handful of offline files.  Often it is part of a clip - for instance the audio will be online but the video is offline.

This probably happened because some media is scattered among other drives on your Mac. (e.g. your boot drive)

6. Click [Create Action].

7. Copy or Move your media (i.e. the MXF's) to another folder on that external drive. This will bundle all the MXF's in one folder.

8. Copy the folder for this project from "$HOME/Documents/Avid Projects" to another folder on this external drive.

9. Disconnect that drive with your project folder and all the media. Connect it to an Interplay workstation with the fastest connection available.

10. Copy the bins where needed. Copy the media to the server.

MDVx will help you round up any missing media from your Mac to Interplay. I recommend grabbing the Windows version for your Interplay-connected workstations as well. It's older, but just as stable and capable as the Mac version.

Mid-2010 Mac Pro • 2018 MacBook Pro [view my complete system specs]

isaact.co | Twitter | Instagram | Vimeo

Writer: The Frame.io WORKFLOW Guide - http://workflow.frame.io/

Post Workflow Consultant - https://isaact.co/

• Mon, Jul 31 2017 2:43 PM In reply to

• photog007
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 42
    • Points 470

Isaac T and Blindpew thank you both for your replies.

Issac - Thank you for pointing out MDV and I may look into that.  But I should have pointed out that I am only working on one project at a time on the standalone Mac, and only using one drive.  So all media is kept pretty well contained and not spread across other drives.  An inspection of my boot drive confirmed there was no media there.  So my problem is not so much that the media is missing from the external drive when copying to the Interplay system, but rather that even though the files are copied, some just don't seem to "stick"

I have a dongle I can switch between a Mac laptop and Mac destop system and both systems see all the media when I switch the external drive from one to the other, (which confirms all the media is localized to the one external drive) but it seems to be the problem of copying media to the Interplay system where some of the media does not copy.

Blindpew, I have consolidated media many times before for may diffferent situations but since I am taking media from a standalone system to an Interplay system, I'm not exactly sure where you are suggesting I consolidate in this workflow.  Could you please elaborate?

Thanks

Mid 2010 MacPro 2x2.66 GHz 6core Westmere 14 GB RAM OS 10.10.5 MC v7.0.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 31 2017 3:44 PM In reply to

I think the suggestion is rather than copy the media at finder level you launch Avid with your local media drive attached and the required workspace mounted.

Launch Avid and consolidate the clips from the external drive to the workspace. That may help them "stick"

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Mon, Jul 31 2017 4:03 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 759
    • Points 8,960

@photog007:

photog007:
    But I should have pointed out that I am only working on one project at a time on the standalone Mac, and only using one drive.  So all media is kept pretty well contained and not spread across other drives.  An inspection of my boot drive confirmed there was no media there.

Nice work!

photog007:
    So my problem is not so much that the media is missing from the external drive when copying to the Interplay system, but rather that even though the files are copied, some just don't seem to "stick

Like you said, it sounds like some of the MXFs aren't copying over.

MDVx should do the trick. If you can mount the Interplay volume as a network share from your Mac, you could filter the media by project and copy the media directly through MDVx. Just make sure you're connected over gigabit ethernet (minimum), not wifi.

+1 on consolidating too. But this failure to "stick" just sounds like a copy file fail. MC should relink everything automagically if the MSM's are good.

By the way, if you confirm all the MXF's copied from your Mac to Interplay, and the clips still can't see them, might have to ask for permission to trash and rebuild the MSM's.

• Mon, Jul 31 2017 4:12 PM In reply to

• photog007
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 42
    • Points 470

Pat,

Thanks for the clarification.  Let me make sure I have this workflow correct.  Create bin and ingest media on standalone Mac to external drive.  Disconnect external drive and hook it up to PC running interplay.  Copy the bins to the Interplay project, then mount the external drive to see the media ingested from the standalone system.  Then consolidate that media one bin at a time to the Interplay workspace?  If that is correct, what chances do I then have of running into relinking issues between the two systems since interplay will now be referencing .new files and the original system will be referenecing the original files?

Mike

• Mon, Jul 31 2017 4:15 PM In reply to

• photog007
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 42
    • Points 470

Isaac,

I wish I could experiament by mounting the Interplay volume on as a network share on my Mac as you suggest, but I don't think our system administratior would allow that one.  I'll ask, but unlikely.  

• Mon, Jul 31 2017 4:20 PM In reply to

• photog007
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 42
    • Points 470

It's also recently been suggested to me that I boot up one of the Interplay systems in Non-Interplay mode, copy the media and confirm everything copies, then relaunch with Interplay re-activated as see if that works.  The reason being that the media indexer that Interplay uses gets confused by the copying on the finder/desktop level, whereas when in Non-Interplay mode, the media database can handle it better.  Thoughts?

• Mon, Jul 31 2017 4:34 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 759
    • Points 8,960

@photog007:

photog007:
    The reason being that the media indexer that Interplay uses gets confused by the copying on the finder/desktop level, whereas when in Non-Interplay mode, the media database can handle it better.

Makes sense! Forgot about the media indexer. (Another layer to contend with. Wink)

Give it a shot, see how it goes!

• Mon, Jul 31 2017 5:42 PM In reply to

Yes thats correct and once the external drive is removed the system should link fine to the consolidated media. That's what Avid does best.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

• Mon, Jul 31 2017 6:38 PM In reply to

• photog007
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 42
    • Points 470

Thanks Pat.  I'll give it some consideration.  My only concern is that after the media is copied/cosolidated to Interplay and I am in the editing phase of the project shuttling sequence bins back and forth between the interplay system and the standalone system that I could run into unlinking situations.

• Mon, Jul 31 2017 6:54 PM In reply to

o a test. But this is exactly what Avids good at. Lots of post houses work with media in just this way.

The only issues are if both sets of media are online at the same time. Then you need to take care to ensure the correct media is being accessed or you will see media offline when the external drive is removed. But even then a simple relink shcould bring it back.

• Mon, Jul 31 2017 8:05 PM In reply to

• photog007
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 42
    • Points 470

Ok, I will give it a try with a few clips so that I can see my workflow steps and also to allow the rest of the production staff to see how it responds on their end.

We've found Interplay's Dynamic Relink to be a little more tricky than standard relinking.

Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller