Latest post Wed, Aug 2 2017 6:50 PM by BrettG. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 26 2017 8:06 PM

• BrettG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 18 2012
    • Posts 38
    • Points 555

Timewarp slow motion issues

Hi all,

I was hoping an MC version upgrade may solve this issue, although it doesn't seem likely from what I am reading on the forums... but I am having an issue with slow-motion Timewarp effects on transcoded material. 

I am using OS 10.11.6 and MC 8.8.2, although I have been able to recreate this problem on other MC versions and OS versions. 

Specific problem is: I am getting some intense blurring and video artifiacts when footage is slowed-down via Timewarp. There is a lot of fast motion and things moving in the shot, yet, I for similar shots we have never experienced problems like this with older workflows. What's changed is the original media is now captured in 6K+. After AMA linkining to this orginal RED media, I then transcode the original media into an HD project for the editor to work in. This is our "proxy" version. Of course, with the original RED material shot in 6K, a frame-flex effect is automatically applied to our HD transcoded material. I cannot remove this effect in the HD timeline. Could this be interfering with a slow-motion Timewarp? Generally, we only see problems when we slow down the material, not when we do speed-ramps. 

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

• Mon, Jul 31 2017 8:39 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,501
    • Points 42,195

Re: Timewarp slow motion issues

It might be worth checking to see what settings are selected under the Render Settings tab of MC main settings window.

It defaults to "Use Frame Blending in Motion Adapters" which I personally do not like as it sets blending in some of the timewarp settings where I wish to be in explicit control of that.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Wed, Aug 2 2017 5:47 PM In reply to

Hate to ask the obvious, was the media shot @ high speed meant to be played at the slowerspeed? Did you try adjusting the rate prior to transcoding in source settings?

Most are New MacPro 12 core or 8 Core 2012 MacPros with 24+ Gb Ram nvidia gtx 1070 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 2 2017 5:56 PM In reply to

When you transcode to HD you can choose to bake in the frameflex effect. You then won't have it on the transcoded media.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Wed, Aug 2 2017 6:28 PM In reply to

"You then won't have it on the transcoded media."

Did you mean to say you won't have to use the effect on traqnscoded media? 

Most are New MacPro 12 core or 8 Core 2012 MacPros with 24+ Gb Ram nvidia gtx 1070 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 2 2017 6:50 PM In reply to

• BrettG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 18 2012
    • Posts 38
    • Points 555

Hi Jef,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I got the same result -- even with a Fluid Motion render.

This just may be a result of the nature of the footage itself that we are attempting to slow down... which is a desert landscape with lots of tracks, trails, etc. made by ATVs and dune buggies, which results in many many patterns in the sand that Timewarp is having a tough time blending. Top half of the frame, the horizon line, renders perfetly, however.

And yes, to others questions, this 6K footage was shot at 29.97 fps, problem is, we don't know what footage will need to be slowed down until post, when we need it to fit with newly written narration. But thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller