Latest post Mon, Jul 10 2017 7:28 PM by Marianna. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 9 2017 1:55 PM

Can You Recycle a Dongle?

Hi,

I still use a dongle, as am across two systems and the desktop isn't internet-enabled.

Recently I left my dongle in a hotel room and they kindly found it then lost it again. 

For some reason I have another dongle, from a different early version of Avid (it may be an educational version I never used).

Is there a way of blasting this old one to work with my current Avid v.8??

Failing that, is it possible to buy a new one? 

Thanks,

Jon

• Sun, Jul 9 2017 3:44 PM In reply to

Re: Can You Recycle a Dongle?

You need to speak to Avid support to see if they can help.

I think technically your lost dongle is a lost MC license. So yes you can buy another but it will be the full MC perpetual price plus the Hardware Dongle price which isn't cheap.

You could save the hardware dongle price by re-using the old dongle if its of the right type (they evloved over the years)

If the hotel can support you that they lost the dongle then Avid "MAY" agree to transfer the old license to the extra dongle you have.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sun, Jul 9 2017 4:39 PM In reply to

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the advice.

Not convinced I've lost the whole licence - if all else fails I can just activate MC online (simply means I can't switch systems without all that online re/de-activation faffing).

I seem to recall you can buy replacement dongles at a hefty price. Will try contact Avid Support tomorrow.

Thanks,

Jon

• Sun, Jul 9 2017 5:59 PM In reply to

A dongle license has to be converted to online activation and that involves removing the license from the dongle (otherwise you'd have 2 valid licenses) You can't do that unless you have the curent dongle. I know faulty dongles used to be replaceable.

But AVid support will know more.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Jul 10 2017 3:52 PM In reply to

Hi,

So just for anyone's edification and illumination, this proved a total success.

I called Avid Inside Sales and after 20mins on hold spoke with a friendly chap in the Philippines.

Turns out the old dongle was from a 10 year old unused Educational Version of XPress Pro.

After 30 additional minutes of typing, scanning dongles etc, the lost one was bricked and the new one activated on the current MC system.

Thanks Avid!!!

Jon

• Mon, Jul 10 2017 7:28 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,507
    • Points 209,155
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

jon Frontier:

Hi,

I still use a dongle, as am across two systems and the desktop isn't internet-enabled.

Recently I left my dongle in a hotel room and they kindly found it then lost it again. 

For some reason I have another dongle, from a different early version of Avid (it may be an educational version I never used).

Is there a way of blasting this old one to work with my current Avid v.8??

Failing that, is it possible to buy a new one? 

Thanks,

Jon

Hi Jon

The dongle is tied to a system ID and a dongle serial.  So if it is lost, we can note that and then we can migrate you over to the other dongle.  The system ID on that dongle would need to be recorded/changed internally but it isnt such a hard process.

Best to email me so I can create a case and get the ball rolling.

Need your email to incude:

Lost dongle system ID/Dongle serial # 

Replacement dongle: system ID/Dongle serial # 

Your MY Avid email address

HTH and let me know if that posses a problem

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller