Latest post Wed, Jun 28 2017 3:36 PM by S.Clements. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 24 2017 11:57 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 805
    • Points 10,685

Best Way to Swap One Graded MXF file for Another Version With Same Name

Hi,

I have transcoded MXFs of one grade from Resolve that I prepped in Avid.  Now, I would like to swap them out for another grade.  The new graded MXFs have the EXACT same MXF name (based on the original file name).  I thought I could just hide the old MXFs, then put the new ones in a numbered MXF folder and everything would relink, but no dice.  I'm concerned about actually manually relinking, in case anything gets screwed up.  I did a test relink of one file and everything seemed fine, but why doesn't Avid just relink?  Is there some other metadata that's blocking the instant "relink".  I guess I was just under the assumption that files named exactly the same would relink.  I worked on a movie where the lab kept changing grades and we had to keep swapping out.  I wasn't in charge of that procedure, but seemed to remember it just being a matter of swapping mxfs and rescanning.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Sun, Jun 25 2017 11:39 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 217
    • Points 2,285

Re: Best Way to Swap One Graded MXF file for Another Version With Same Name

I don't have an answer, but I would try this, isolate the MXF on a media drive scan the drive and drag the resulting master clip from the media tool to a bin. Then sub clip the shot from the sequence and try relinking the sub clipped sequence to the new master clip. That would establish if the new master clip was easily link-able to the sequence. If it  does not relink you could try  linking with some of the other methods available in the re- link dialogue, ( but I don't think I can advise here , I usually just mess around until something happens ). I do know that avid and davinci have a metadata miss on TAPE NAMES and REEL names, (see Scott Freemans blog on Creative Cow and his posts on this forum)

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 28 2017 3:36 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 805
    • Points 10,685

Re: Best Way to Swap One Graded MXF file for Another Version With Same Name

Thanks, Martin.  Luckily, you can fill out the Avid tape column in Resolve.  I got through the job without having to result to alternate transcodes, but I will experiment with swapping out when I get a chance.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller