Latest post Wed, Jun 21 2017 4:41 PM by Andy Aronson. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 21 2017 4:41 PM

New to NEXIS. Need advice on workflow and folder placement/structure

Hi,
    We just installed a NEXIS/Media Composer combination on a Windows 10 box. Prior to that, we were using Media Composer with two Dolce drives. Our old workflow consisted of putting all of our non-Avid-transcoded files on a QNAP server that we accessed on the network. The QNAP file structure was based on projects. So, for instance, project A would get its own folder. Inside that would be separate folders for After Effects renders (from a separate computer), Photoshop graphics, scripts, PowerPoint, Master MOV files exported from Media Composer, and transcoded files exported from our Digital Rapids encoders. There were other folders but you get the idea.

The vendor who sold and installed the NEXIS for us advises that we now should put all those folders on the NEXIS. So, I've created a workspace for MC-transcoded files (files transcoded while ingesting into MC from camera cards) and one workspace for all the project folders as listed above. 

Is the all-on-NEXIS paradigm the best workflow? I'm wondering how you all are handling your workflow and what folder structures you have incorporated. Do you put everything on the NEXIS or do you separate file types on separate attached or network servers/hard drives? What challenges have you run into and how have you fixed those challenges in terms of workflow and system/rendering speed and, more importantly, editor/editing efficiency?

Also, we installed an LTO backup system that is attached to the NEXIS via a 10G switch (all our Avid hardware is using that switch as well). I want to make the backup and archiving to LTO as simple as possible. Aside from possible speed efficiencies that come with keeping all files on the NEXIS, I'm not sure there are any file management efficiencies that also come with that paradigm.

I'm very interested in hearing your comments. Please let me know if you need further information about our gear to inform your response.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
    Andy Aronson

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller