Latest post Tue, Jul 30 2019 10:20 AM by christophea. 43 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 14 2017 6:22 PM

Nexis client, folders in workspaces occasionally locked on windows user level.

Dear Avid, Bob,

I see another case being opened for the latest project I'm doing but before doing so I wonder if you ever saw this before Bob?

About once a week a client of the Nexis storage, it can be a win10 editing client or win 2012r2 server like SGL all of a sudden produces a user rights access warning when you try to access a sub folder or parent folder while browsing either in an apllication or windows itself. Only resolution is to quit nexis client and start it again and that immediatly resolves it.

In the past 6 weeks I have become aware of it happening 4,5 times. So it's not a killer but still a bit worrying.

I've seen it happen with 7.3.2 client and 7.5. Weirdly never with 7.4. And because the 7.4 client accidentally did not include the fix  that could under circumstances cause the media indexer to BSOD, I wonder if that's related or just pure coincedence.

I already have a case open because 7.5 client causes BSOD's on 2 SGL Flashnet servers, probably because RSS is enabled on the 10G cards and wonder if I should open a case for this one folder user rights issue too.

Regards,

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Sat, Jun 24 2017 7:41 AM In reply to

Re: Nexis client, folders in workspaces occasionally locked on windows user level.

I opened a case as recently this problem appeared on an editing system with the projects folder.

The response from support however amazed me. Their advice is to use the same Nexis client version throughout the system. Using mixed versions could cause this.

If so, why is this not mentioned in the readme?

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Jun 26 2017 4:46 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,265
    • Points 27,975
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: Nexis client, folders in workspaces occasionally locked on windows user level.

Are the files Read-only and the application is trying to copy, move, rename, or delete? Files with the Read-only Attribute can't be modified by design. When clips are locked in a Media Composer bin, the Read-only Attribute is added. Other shared storage that claims compatibility with Media Composer doesn't honor this attribute.

There was a change in Windows 7 with how Read-only files are handled. In Vista and earlier, it a file is Read-only it can't be deleted. In Windows 7 and later, read-only files can't be modified but can be copied, moved, renamed, or deleted.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Mon, Jun 26 2017 8:18 PM In reply to

Hi Bob,

The folders are not accessible at all when this occurs. While at the same folder level in the same workspace other folders can be accessed. I've also seen it happen when trying to access sub folders or a parent folder (which is even weirder).

With Nexis client 7.3.2 a quit and start of nexis client would resolve the issue. With Nexis client 7.5 however this did not work. It would stay inaccessible. With Nexis client 7.4 however I have not seen the issue which is the reason I didn't open a case before.  

• Fri, Oct 26 2018 12:30 PM In reply to

Hi Avid (and Bob if you still follow this thread).

Today finally a hint on the reason why this happens but what I'm about to write could also be nonsense.

At one customer a system was locked out of a folder after media composer crashed when a usb stick was plugged in into the pc.

This left the <projectname>.log file open in the projects folder of the project that was open at the time of the crash. I was able to determine this as I was not able to delete this file from another system after copying the whole project subfolder to a <project-copy> folder.

Nexis client is blocking access to parent folders of files that are left open or growing by the specific system that left that file open while other systems can still gain access to that folder but cannot delete the file which is left open. The Nexis client on the system on which the crash occured can correct the issue by performing a Nexis client restart or a whole system restart (it could be that newer 2018.6.x version of Nexis client corrects it without a restart, not 100% sure). 

So it seems the delayed write failures that occured on Airspeeds and Telestream vantage and media composer crashes were leaving files open that could only be deleted by other systems like the Interplay server (NXNuser) after a restart of the Nexis client (up to version 2018.6) on the specific systems that left the file open.

• Mon, Feb 25 2019 3:39 PM In reply to

• hsync
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 8 2010
    • Soho, London
    • Posts 18
    • Points 220

Hi there,

was wondering if anyone had any luck with resolving this issue?

We have a very similar situation, running on a simple Nexis setup (no interplay/Airspeeds etc), and media composer clients.

As we get busier, the more incidents we see.

In Media Composer it throws up an access violation, saying it can no longer save to the project folder, and the bins disappear from the project window. At Windows level you cannot access that specific project folder (access denied), but if there are other projects on that Nexis workspace, it DOES allow you access to those folders no problem. You can even copy a file into the "locked" project folder (because you can see the file appear when on another client computer). It only affects that workstation, all other workstations sharing the project are unaffected.

It may be coincidence, but we seem to observe it when it is in the process of saving a bin, specifically when it moves the .wrt file from the client computer folder (e.g. EDIT01) back into the main project.

It can even appear to have deleted a bin when you restart - you have to go into the EDIT01 folder and drag out the .wrt file, rename it .avb to retreive file.

We have observed this on a number different workstations (Z800, Z440, Z400, Z820). All running Windows 7. Don't believe we've seen it on Mac, but we have very few Mac systems.

A full system restart fixes it, a disconnect-reconnect of the Nexis in the CM, does not ALWAYS fix it, but sometimes does.

Have observed it in v8.5.3, but also the latest v2018.12.1.

Client Manager v2018.11 (also seen in v2018.6), Nexis v2018.6 

Cheers,

Michael

• Mon, Feb 25 2019 3:54 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • PA
    • Posts 149
    • Points 1,880

We've started seeing this "permissions issue" accessing project folders as well. Running Nexis client 2018.9.1. Complete restarts of the computer don't fix it but killing the nexis client and relaunching it does.

HP zBook 17 G3, z220, HP z240, HP z420, HP z440, HP z840, HP Z4 G4, Dell Precision 3430, Dell Precision 7810, Apple iMac i5 27-Inch (5K, Late 2015). 16GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 25 2019 4:29 PM In reply to

Hi guys,

Upgrading the core (not just client) to 2018.11 has improved the situation. I'm not saying it's solved as I have seen 1 occurance on a 2018.11 core but that could have been caused by a filegateway crash. At one site the problem has disappeared for almost 3 weeks now. I'm in the process of upgrading multiple E4 and pro systems over the next few weeks and I will keep updating this thread.

What is a bit disappointing is the amount of info that support is providing (or is allowed to provide) on the matter. It goes as far as what the readme states:

[SSENG-19006] During specific workflows that update existing blocks in quick succession, clients may experience I/O errors or limited bandwidth.

I will keep ypu posted.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Feb 26 2019 10:24 AM In reply to

• hsync
    • Not Ranked
    • Soho, London
    • Posts 18
    • Points 220

Hi Jeroen,

Thanks for the update.

It is an irratating problem, very intermittant, some days fine, others days particular clients will have maybe 2 or 3 occurances of the problem.

This started about August last year, seemed to go away over the Christmas period, and has returned with much higher frequency over the last 2 weeks. It may be due to our increase in work recently.

I think we will also investigate moving up to 2018.11.

• Wed, Feb 27 2019 9:02 AM In reply to

• VPROIMCT
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 11 2013
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 13
    • Points 175

Let me chime in here in stating that we have this as well. We do however use Isis storage where this happens as well. Newer editors (as well as server2016) require newer clients so we do not have much of a choice. We are on the verge of going full fiber on all our clients which wll require newer clients as well. 

Also we are gettng ready for E4 Nexis which will run in the mix with Isis7500. We have multiple clients using mulitple versions and all newer clients (most) have this problem. Loosing connection after a while, could be a week could be a day. Simple restart of the client manager does not help. restart of the system does.

Also we see instances where individual project folders are inaccasible. Unable to load through UNC patch with client mounting UNC paths. If we unmount and assign mountpoint through letter (Windows) we are able to access the folder again.

This is particulary annoying on our DR system which rely on project data on Isis. 

All in all i am not happy at the moment with Nexis client and have no clue on how to solve it. Client 18.9.015 seems to be working 95% of the time on our W10 editors.

There is something fishy here i can smell it yet i am unable to find the rotten fish itself. Anyway.. you are not alone.

Best, Menno

40 x MC 2018.11 - Interplay 3.x - 256 Tb Isis 7500 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 27 2019 9:57 AM In reply to

• hsync
    • Not Ranked
    • Soho, London
    • Posts 18
    • Points 220

Thanks Menno,

(sort of) glad to know these are not entirely isolated examples, and there are other incidences out in the field.

One of the most annoying aspects is how difficult it is to reproduce. It apparently happens 'at random', and we are struggling to find a pattern.

It can occasionally look to be distructive - i.e. it looks as if it deletes bins if it is in the middle of saving a bin when it occurs.

Example:

MC will save bin - it will create the avidbinname.wrt file (sometimes it will complete writing and rename to .avb, but not always) in the host folder of the project

MC will remove/delete bin in main project structure.

MC will be unale to move the .wrt or .avb file out of the host folder into main project. Starts giving errors.

When you restart, it appears as if bin has disappeared from project.

To rectify you have to go into host folder and rename the .wrt file with .avb extention and drag out manually.

Other symptoms we have been able to confirm:

You can copy a file or folder into the project directory at windows level on the affected client, observing from another client you can see the file/folder appear, but you cannot open the project folder at all on on the affected client.

You can create new folder in MC, but it will not show you the new folder, usually at this stage the Project pane is totally empty, apart from the Trash folder. You can confirm the new folder has been created by observing from a different client.

The Trash folder appears to work fine, you can access it and if you add new bins to the trash folder on a different client, the Trash folder on the affected client  reflects this - you can see the newly added bin.

Even while it is in this state, you can create new bin, it will write it into the host folder, but give an error saying it cannot move the bin out of the host directory, access is denied.

• Wed, Feb 27 2019 3:07 PM In reply to

Going to add my voice to this issue.

We have a z840 with Symphony & Resolve that often gets locked out of workspaces or folders at the OS level. Windows 10 will ask for Admin rights. A reboot or reinstall of the client app fixes it until it happens again.

ISIS core 4.7.11

Nexis client 2018.11

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 28 2019 10:36 AM In reply to

• VPROIMCT
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 11 2013
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 13
    • Points 175

It is not isolated indeed .. let's hope someone is looking in to this. I am about to start a case on this if we keep on having issues. Not looking forward to changing client AT ALL ..

Thx Dom btw for adding your problem as well. Been a while (Menno aka Baklap)

Best, Menno

40 x MC 2018.11 - Interplay 3.x - 256 Tb Isis 7500 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 28 2019 1:31 PM In reply to

Thanks to all that have joined this thread.

Besides the technical difficulties and hours of trying to isolate the cause and a workaround/solution what has been bothering me is the lack of (knowledge of) engagement from Avid engineering in this issue. Support has been responsive and helpful in multiple cases and Nexis client logs were provided, Nexis client updated multiple times (this started in version 7.3 in my case), nexis core upgraded, firmware of drives and controllers updated. All these to either resolve delayed write failures and/or folder access (which can cause the delayed write failure).

Readme's of several upgrades have stated: under some circumstances, on some hardware (airspeed) etc...

Never in the last 2 years did I get the impression that Avid has actually acknowledged the problem and more importantly is actually trying to provide a solution.

Now.. Many other companies and products besides Avid give me the feeling that I'm part of an unvoluntary beta testing program. But during the years of Unity and Isis I never had this feeling as I do now with Nexis. This tactic of: 'have you tried updating to the latest version?' where after 1-2 years 2018.11 client and core SEEMS to have fixed it but I'm not sure...

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, Feb 28 2019 1:50 PM In reply to

• hsync
    • Not Ranked
    • Soho, London
    • Posts 18
    • Points 220

Thank you Jeroen for starting the thread, this is the only reference to this problem I've been able to find.

Hi Dom, we decommisioned our ISIS a few months ago, but I am certain we saw it happen on that system as well, I believe running 4.7.11

And I am pretty sure that we have seen it happen on media workspaces as well, locking you out of the Avid MediaFiles folder - annecdotal - I think it happens as it is writing media to the workspace, or possibly whilst updating the databases. But this happens less often.

I think we are gaining some traction here, our support company has excalated it with Avid, and we are gathering logs and info for them. Will let you know if I hear anything.

Cheers,

Michael

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller