Latest post Fri, Jun 9 2017 11:21 PM by usatraveler. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 8 2017 9:53 PM

• p.coyne
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 30 2016
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Using a custom server w/ Avid MC

Hi!

Any knowledge here would be of great help. Working with a company that just set up a new storage space on a custom server. I work off of Avid currently on a raid drive, but would like to utilize the space on our new server.

It's not a server at all affiliated w/ Avid: we are running a custom server with FreeNAS. On that server there is a Windows (SMB) Share that we're connecting to. Two of us access it, but the second person would not need to get to my Avid files.

I don't need to access Avid in concert with anyone right now, but I know there are some stipulations with servers and Avid use and while I've tried to look into forums on the topic all I can tell is that it usually isn't successful.

I love Avid and have been using it only for about 5 years, and but always on external hard drives. I am essentially an infant when it comes to systems admin.

Currently I have no idea how to accomodate my workflow. I attempted simply moving everything over, but that did not work: i received exception alerts each time. Do I have any recourse here? If anyone could point me in the right direction or to the right info I would really appreciate it. 

iMac Retina 5K, 4Ghz Intel Core i7 

AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

Avid MC 8.6.5

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Fri, Jun 9 2017 3:02 PM In reply to

Re: Using a custom server w/ Avid MC

On a PC I've used mounted network drives and the the Avid consolue command alldrives. Thats worked well as long as you don't share.

Not sure on a Mac.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, Jun 9 2017 5:11 PM In reply to

• p.coyne
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 30 2016
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Brialliant I'll give that command a go and let you know if that works out. 

Thank you very much!

iMac Retina 5K, 4Ghz Intel Core i7 

AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

Avid MC 8.6.5

• Fri, Jun 9 2017 11:21 PM In reply to

If you DO need to do Avid-style bin-locking, the product MIMIQ, from Indiestor, does this.  I've used it on a couple of home systems on my Synology server.  Works pretty well for my needs.  One-time purchase per seat - Win/Mac.

Articles on the site are a little old right now, but they seem to be active as they've at least updated their site to say they support through macOS Sierra, as well as MC 8.8.4, which came out this week.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller