Latest post Mon, May 22 2017 9:03 AM by Pat Horridge. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 19 2017 10:56 PM

• JamesTV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 31 2017
    • Posts 16
    • Points 210

Avid H264 Offline Codec - SD raster possible?

Hi,

After implementing JFIF 4:1s for our client - I wanted to explore what offline codecs were possible with Media Composer, and I have hit across what seems like an obvious oddity.

At the very bottom end - using AMT you can produce a 0.8Mbps H264 proxy, or a 2Mbps H264 proxy. Stepping up from here, you get into JFIF 4:1s (approx 12Mbps), before then getting into DNxHD36 - obviously 36Mbps.

It seems very odd that that the "HD Avid proxy" which is 2Mbps has a limitation of the same "half SD" raster as JFIF 4:1s - when clearly a 2Mbps H264 stream would be able to sustain at the very least a SD or even HD raster.

Is there a reason for this when it comes to Media Composer? If we update the XML file within AMT to have a higher resolution - would this be supported by Avid?

The concept being to find a codec that supports a SD raster for offline editing that sits between the chasm of 800kbps and 12Mbps.

• Mon, May 22 2017 9:03 AM In reply to

Re: Avid H264 Offline Codec - SD raster possible?

I'd do some tests first. I've uesed the H264 codec on a job that required upload of proxy media from low bandwidth locations and it worked on for what we needed but I think its long GOP and you hit obstacles later on in the job depending on your workflow. It is also pretty poor compared to DNx36 and to be honest space is cheap nowadays but eyes not so.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller