Latest post Wed, May 17 2017 4:02 PM by cable. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 15 2017 11:56 PM

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 355
    • Points 4,610

adding new E4 chassis

Hello,

I just received an additional E4 chassis that I'd like to add to my edit network as a separate additional Controller/Storage group. This will have a different name from our existing E4 and users will mount workspaces from one or both of the units. I am about to create the Nexis file system on the new unit but just want to double check that this is safe to do while attached to the switch with the existing server. I'm sure it's very straight forward and easy but in the back of mind I'm thinking about the things I'm not aware of, like the new chassis somehow seeing the existing workspaces and deciding to erase them. I know, paranoid, but that's kind of my job. I have a full backup of the existing unit just in case.

So, it's my understaning that because I'm not combining these units and they do have different names and IP addresses they should not care or interfere with each other. Is this a correct thought?  I have a call into support but while I wait I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks.

-Cablet

20 x Media Composer 8.6.5 Mac Pros 32MB RAM OSX 10.11.6 AJA and Nitris DX hardware Avid Nexis Enterprise [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 16 2017 1:55 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,557
    • Points 111,675
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: adding new E4 chassis

Cablet

Good question of which I dont know the answer but I am going to check for you

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, May 17 2017 4:02 PM In reply to

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 355
    • Points 4,610

Re: adding new E4 chassis

Support got back to me.  As I expected, an additional unit with seperate name and IP address is treated as a complete stand alone unit. The existing controller was not impacted at all by creating the new file system on the new system.

20 x Media Composer 8.6.5 Mac Pros 32MB RAM OSX 10.11.6 AJA and Nitris DX hardware Avid Nexis Enterprise [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller