Latest post Tue, Jun 6 2017 5:24 PM by Marianna. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 10 2017 5:24 PM

Media Composer 8.8.3 NOW AVAILABLE 10 May 2017

We are pleased to announce the release of Media Composer v8.8.3.  

Location:  Media Composer v8.8.3 is now available from My Avid Master Accounts, Application Manager, and the Avid Download Center (login and password required) as of today ( 5/10/17 ) at 12:00 noon ET.  

Artist | DNxIQ:  This update provides support for the Avid Artist | DNxIQ, the next generation of hardware I/O for Media Composer.

• Avid Artist | DNxIQ works with the tools customers prefer to use, including Media Composer, Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve, Apple Final Cut Pro X, and Adobe Premiere Pro CC
    • Quickly and easily ingest, monitor, and output SD, HD, 2K, UHD, and 4K media
    • Connect to the latest Mac and Windows computers with support for both Thunderbolt 3 and PCIe
    • Quickly cross-convert formats and framerates on baseband output SDI, HDMI, and analog connections with Universal Mastering (Media Composer | Symphony Option is required).

Important Note:  BlackMagic Design Desktop Video v10.9.1 is ALSO required for use of the Artist | DNxIQ.  This will be released at the same time to Avid Master Accounts and the Download Center.  

Change in v8.8.3:  The following changes are included with this release:

Script Changes - Changes have been made to separate Script Settings from options that appear in the Script Window and Script menu. With this release, changes that you make to the Script Settings

window will only apply to newly created scripts. And if you make changes to options in the Script window or Script menu, those changes will not change the options in the Settings Window. A context menu has been added to help you easily access options by right-clicking in the Script Window.

AutoSync Update - In previous releases, when there was overlapping video and you chose to create a group clip, a group clip was created along with subclips for the overlapping video. You were not given the option to choose one or the other. With this release, an option has been added to allow you to choose to create a group clip or subclips if you have media with overlapping video. In the AutoSync dialog, if you select When video tracks overlap: Create Group Clip instead of Subclip, a group clip will be created, but no subclips of the video overlaps will be created. If the option is not selected, subclips of the video overlaps will be created, but no group clip.

Multigroup Update - In previous releases, the Multigroup dialog box included some Autosync options. The Multigroup dialog has been simplified. For details see “Creating Multigroup Clips” in the Help.

Fixed in v8.8.3:  The following have been fixed.

• You might have received a “MainEventQueue” error when dragging media from Interplay Access to a bin.
    • You might have seen dropped frames if I/O hardware was enabled and you linked to J2K media.
    • (List Tool) In some instances, generating a Change list crashed the editing application.
    • The pixel aspect ratio and raster dimensions of large files differed depending upon if they were linked or imported.
    • Nothing happened when you applied an AudioSuite effect to clips with lower than 44.1k sample rate. 

Limitations:  the following changes have been made we would like to make customers aware of:

• If you open a composition with AudioSuite effects applied to clips with the sample rate lower than 44.1K (i.e. 32K, 24K), these effects will be marked as missing.
    • If you apply an AudioSuite effect to a clip with the sample rate lower than 44.1K, you will receive an “Audio clips must be converted to a supported sample rate of at least 44.1K before applying AudioSuite effects” warning message.
    • If you open the Audio Track Effect Tool and the project sample rate is lower than 44.1K, then the effect name will be in italics and “Unsupported Sample Rate” will be added to the effect name.
    • You will not be able to select an Audio Track Effect if the project sample rate is lower than 44.1K. It will only be possible to select “No Insert” and in this case the effect name will look the following: “No insert (Unsupported Sample Rate).”
    • The arrow keys and Enter key did not work after exiting from Edit mode using Enter on the numeric keypad.
    • (List Tool) In some instances, the Source Table information did not appear when you exported an EDL.
    • In some instances, custom bin metadata was being overwritten.
    • Motion Effect output changed when committing Multicam Edits.
    • You now get a warning if tracks within the same clip have different timecode.
    • You might have received an “Exception: AUTO_COMP_NO_SYNC” error when video contained audio with different TC.

How Customers will obtain the Media Composer v8.8.3:   The latest update to Media Composer has been made available to the public today at 12:00 noon ET.

1.  Customers who have already installed the latest version of Media Composer will be notified of the availability of the v8.8.3 upgrade via the AppMan . The Apps tab will also provide a link to download and install the update when desired.

2.  New customers who purchase Media Composer on or after May 10th, 2017 will receive this v8.8.3 update in their Avid Master Account.

3.  Customers on current valid Upgrade & Support plans can download the Media Composer v8.8.3 and either update from their Avid Master Account or the Avid Download Center (login and password required.)

4.  Customers NOT on a current Upgrade & Support contract that wish to upgrade to v8.8.3 can purchase an upgrade via the special offer available for Media Composer v3.0 and higher licenses.  Offer expiresJune 30th, 2017. Customers can purchase through the Avid Online Store, Avid Resellers or Distributors.

Media Composer 8.9.1 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 740M [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, May 10 2017 5:53 PM In reply to

• stevejones
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 14 2006
    • Toronto
    • Posts 98
    • Points 1,390

Re: Media Composer 8.8.3 NOW AVAILABLE 10 May 2017

Is the render glitch bug fixed yet? 

Media Composer 8.4.2 Artist DNxIO Z840 WIN 7 64bit etc etc [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 10 2017 6:06 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • Posts 109
    • Points 1,370

stevejones:

Is the render glitch bug fixed yet? 

+1

HP Z400, z220, and z420 workstations with 8GB of RAM and nVidia Quadro 2000 graphics cards. Windows 7 64-bit SP1. ISIS 5000 4.2. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 10 2017 6:18 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,499
    • Points 111,005
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

The ReadMe is your friend.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, May 10 2017 6:25 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • Posts 109
    • Points 1,370

Marianna:

The ReadMe is your friend.

Marianna

Read the readme. No mention what so ever regarding GPU rendering bug in the 8.8.3 readme. I therefore conclude that it is not conclusivly fixed. The 8.8.2 readme says "mostly" fixed. You know, like how the aliens only come out at night, mostly.

HP Z400, z220, and z420 workstations with 8GB of RAM and nVidia Quadro 2000 graphics cards. Windows 7 64-bit SP1. ISIS 5000 4.2. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 10 2017 7:11 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,499
    • Points 111,005
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

CK123

Apologies,  I thought it was included....

The change for v8.8.3 has to do with the how the transfer of image data from Media Composer to the GPU render engine is tuned.   For v8.8.3, we have temporarily synchronized the transfer of image data, which could have a potential side effect of performance when playing back RT FX, and render FX to disk. When users have the GPU rendering enabled and sequences where some or all effect rendering is assigned to the GPU render engine, users may see a decrease in performance BUT will definitely not see corrupted or artifacts in RT/Rendered material as they had scene before.  We are working on the RT/Rendering issue at this time.

if anyone see;s any issues.... with or without the GPU enabled that has to do with performance ( not specific issues ) then email me DIRECTLY.  INlcude the obvious.. OS,MC version etc...

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, May 10 2017 11:37 PM In reply to

Hi Marianna. Thank you for the thorough explaination. They should seriously add that to the ReadMe! It is more information than is typically presented. Some of us "tech geeks" like the details as you have stated.

One follow up question: when you say "users may see a decrease in performance" -- is that during the actual render of the material or the in playback of rendered material?

Thanks,

Marc

Windows 10 Enterprise - Dell Precision 7810 - 32GB RAM - DNxIO - Nvidia Quadro M5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 11 2017 9:51 AM In reply to

Marianna:
    For v8.8.3, we have temporarily synchronized the transfer of image data, which could have a potential side effect of performance when playing back RT FX, and render FX to disk. When users have the GPU rendering enabled and sequences where some or all effect rendering is assigned to the GPU render engine, users may see a decrease in performance BUT will definitely not see corrupted or artifacts in RT/Rendered material as they had seen before.  We are working on the RT/Rendering issue at this time.

That should indeed have been included in the readme.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Thu, May 11 2017 1:46 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,499
    • Points 111,005
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Marc

It will be with with both - speed will be slower and thats the performance hit you might see but again, I havent seen it and been testing for a while now.

marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, May 11 2017 1:46 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,499
    • Points 111,005
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Agree Jereon....  Vicky and i are working on that and trying to determine why it wasnt.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, May 11 2017 2:10 PM In reply to

Marianna,

Sorry, more clarification: playback speed of RENDERED or UNRENDERED effects? Will this "temporary" patch affect playback of ALL clips, even if just raw master clips without effects?

Thanks,

Marc

Windows 10 Enterprise - Dell Precision 7810 - 32GB RAM - DNxIO - Nvidia Quadro M5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 11 2017 3:05 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,499
    • Points 111,005
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Marc

this is what I know... based on what has been tested...

The perfromance issue might apply to multiple sources of media (clips) being played back at the same time with multiple FX. (PIP or transitions for example).    A single stack of FX would stay on the GPU, but multiple clips with stacked FX might see a decrease in performance.

Thats it for now.....

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Fri, May 12 2017 5:06 PM In reply to

Thank you.

Also, where can I find the documentation about the current limit with certain PCIe cables? I remember seeing it, but it is not in the ReadMe. I am trying to see if a problem I am having with one of our MojoDX systems is related.

When is that issue going to be resolved? Is there plans for it?

Marc

• Fri, May 12 2017 5:25 PM In reply to

Hi Marc,

what kind of problem do you have with your MojoDX?

Mine is working quite randomly and I am not able to find the reason. I already changed tthe PCI card.

It seems to work fine with the Sonnet thunderbolt box on Mac but with my Z400 on Win7 it´s quite shaky :-)

Cheers

pixel

z400 / Win7 Pro / 12 GB RAM / MCA 8.5.3 / DeckLink SDI / Adobe CC 2015.3 / MojoDX / MBPro Mid 2012 with MC 8.8.1 [view my complete system specs]

What is editing? It´s the process of transforming a collection of badly focussed or horribly framed shots containing reversed screen directions, flare and dirt into a smooth visual statement of the script... ... for which the director takes the credit!

• Fri, May 12 2017 6:01 PM In reply to

It doesn't want to record 1080p2997. It will record 1080i2997 just fine. The screen looks blurred like the image is cut in half, then the top is the bottom and they are blended. Basically, I can see that it is getting signal, but not stable signal. Soon as I switch it to 1080i, then it works fine.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller