Latest post Tue, Apr 25 2017 5:47 PM by Marianna. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Apr 23 2017 11:09 PM

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,573
    • Points 19,565

Red Arrow not behaving... things don't drag where I want them to. They shake and shimmy.

Hi there, 

Using 8.8.1 on my Mac Pro 2013 running Sierra (10.12.4), and my Red Arrow move tool isn't working.

When I try to drage a clip, it quivers and shakes and doesn't go where I want it to go.

Is anyone else experiencing this?  My workaround is to lassoo the elements I want to move, copy them and then paste them to the place where I've moved the cursor.  Or to lassoo, and then move them ten frames at a time (or 1 frame at a time).  But although this works, I'm frustrated at not being able to use the Red Arrow the way I've used it for years.  Grab the clips, and then drag...

thanks for any advice, Malcolm 

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 24 2017 4:20 AM In reply to

Re: Red Arrow not behaving... things don't drag where I want them to. They shake and shimmy.

Do you know when it stopped working? Was it when you upgraded to a specific version of MC, or to a specific OS? Sierra 10.12.4 isn't approved yet - not saying that's the problem, but it's the only thing that jumps out at me from your post.

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Apr 24 2017 5:56 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,573
    • Points 19,565

Re: Red Arrow not behaving... things don't drag where I want them to. They shake and shimmy.

that's the weird thing... I deactivated and uninstalled MC 8.5.1, then installed the new Mac OS, then installed MC 8.8

And everything worked just fine!!!  It only started a few days ago.  I'm wondering if a drive is too full, but there seem to be 75 GB left on my Avid drive and 105 GB free on my system drive.

Malcolm

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 24 2017 6:05 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,682
    • Points 224,130
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Malcolm....

First you should install MC 8.8.2 as it is the 8.8 with a bunch of features and fixes.

Second ... you can try to use the disk utility to see if the drive is fragmented.

Third... 10.12.4 isnt approved yet but shoudnt be the cause of any issues with MC - dont know about any other 3 rd party stuff though.

Lastly... ping me back and let me know what happens with the drive.  

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Apr 24 2017 6:32 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,573
    • Points 19,565

Marianna, so nice to hear from you.  On your advice, I'm running Disk Utility's First Aid on my system drive, and as soon as that's finished I will update to 8.8.2.  I really don't have any 3rd party stuff on this Mac Pro.  I will let you know how this works! Thanks, Malcolm

• Tue, Apr 25 2017 5:44 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,573
    • Points 19,565

Marianna—8.8.2 is working like a charm.  thank you so much for the advice.

Best Regards, Malcolm

• Tue, Apr 25 2017 5:47 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,682
    • Points 224,130
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

YES!!!!!!

Great to hear Malcom.

Bet to you and dont be a stranger.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller