Latest post Sat, Jan 28 2017 9:43 AM by luca.mg. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 23 2017 9:58 PM

Why don't nested effects aggregate?

Hi,

I've been trying and failing to learn how to use multiple nested effects. 

Was attempting the following:

1. Use the Paint/Clone Effect to erase an unwelcome detail from a (static) shot. 

2. Use Resize to add a little digital pan.

3. Colour correct.

Step 1 went fine. 

But when I add a nested level to install the pan, the clone effect doesn't keep up - it's still tracking the previous framing. 

So how does one tell layer 1 to obey layer 2, which submits to layer 3 etc?

Incidentally I tried the same process on Step In/Out and the same problem occurred...

Jon x

• Mon, Jan 23 2017 10:11 PM In reply to

Re: Why don't nested effects aggregate?

I would TRY applying the nested effects in this order
    1. Use Resize to add a little digital pan.
    2. Use the Paint/Clone Effect to erase an unwelcome detail from a (static) shot.
    Colour correct. 

If that does not work then I would mixdown the Paint/Clone Effect and edit the mixdown onto the video layer above your current video layer. This is to leave the original video edit intact in case you want to subsequently make changes when you would remake the mixdown)
    Then nest the Resize and CC effects on the mixdown.

• Mon, Jan 23 2017 10:33 PM In reply to

Thanks Andrew, I'll give it a go.

As a matter of principle though, I don't understand why the lower effect doesn't simply defer to the effect above it, and so on. 

Seems elementary - Photoshop pioneered this concept decades ago. 

Thanks,

• Mon, Jan 23 2017 11:22 PM In reply to

jon Frontier:
    Photoshop pioneered this concept decades ago
    Nested effects have been in MC since 32 MB's was considered lot of RAM. Photoshop works with a single image. MC nesting was designed to calculate and deliver multiple images per second. One can only assume there were significant computational benefits back then to having processes that dealt with things like speed, resizing etc in a particular order.  

Almost all of us have gotten angry about this at least once before reluctantly accepting that it is just the Avid way. Geeked

• Mon, Jan 23 2017 11:46 PM In reply to

Haha think I get it...

In fairness cloning must be a hyper-complex concept in 4K.

Video Mixdown - the solution to all ills!

thanks as ever for your insight,

J

• Fri, Jan 27 2017 7:16 AM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 489
    • Points 6,225

seriously though they do need to address this. Its so *** frustating working with effects in Avid and trying to figure out how to apply effects. 

• Fri, Jan 27 2017 7:36 AM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,399
    • Points 15,405

Hello,
    I tried after the first step (paint effect) perform Collapse clip and continue in the next steps. Unlike videomix, it is always possible to enter into the lower layers of effects.
    V.

AVID MC2018.1 - dongle, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 385.08, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.9.10, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 28 2017 9:43 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,278
    • Points 61,920

Yep, Videomixdon is hell if You trash the project media and have to rebuild it further on, either You work very tidy and keep plenty of intermediate stacks of effects, or collapse, but not always collapsing is the fix: some effects will behave the same as nested even when applied to a collapse. Better effects is a long standing request...

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller