Latest post Sun, Jan 22 2017 8:57 PM by AndrewAction. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 21 2017 11:18 PM

• danny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 24 2010
    • Posts 72
    • Points 895

Importing AAF into Avid re-linking problems - still...

I have recently had to import non-embedded AAF sequences containing reference to ProRes and Wav files. The AAF imports OK into a bin as offline clips and sequences, but I can't understand why it is still so flakey to relink the clips to media in Avid. Sometimes I manage to trick the Avid into knowing where to look and am able to relink to most of the video clips, but not always. The Wav clips, however, seem to be invisible to Avid's relink. I am able to AMA link to the clips manually and all the plugins are present, but re-linking just doesn't want to work with audio only clips. I'm currently on MC 8.6.1 with El Capitan.

The same AAF inports perfectly into both Adobe Premiere and DaVinci Resolve, and all the clips (video and audio) relink straight away, with no extra steps needed. It just works. Can Avid please look into why relinking doesn't behave well and come up with a stable solution? It's driving me nuts. If we can't have a reliable relink, then a function to reliably reconnect selected clips, by name, to a particular scratch folder would be useful. Is there a Feature Request section in the forum yet...?

Mac 3Ghz 8-core cylinder Xeon E5. 32GB 1866Mhz DDR3. AMD D700 graphics x2. OS 10.12.6 with MC/Symphony 8.9.1 and MC2018 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 22 2017 12:32 AM In reply to

Re: Importing AAF into Avid re-linking problems - still...

danny:
    Can Avid please look into why relinking doesn't behave well and come up with a stable solution?
    From the 8.7.2 readme

Avid Generic Plug-in
    Avid is currently working to remove dependencies on QuickTime libraries which are no longer
    supported by Apple. In our first step to replace QuickTime, we are including the Avid Generic plugin
    that natively supports the following formats for linking and playing:

• MJPEG/Video Only - .mov container

• MJPEG/PCM Audio - .mov container

• JPEG - .jpg files

• PCM Audio only files - .mov container

Note: By default, QuickTime will continue to be used for these formats. In order to use this plug-in
    right-click in the Source Browser Plug-in column and select Link with Avid Generic.

For more information on QuickTime support, see here

danny:
    Is there a Feature Request section in the forum yet...?
    here

• Sun, Jan 22 2017 1:16 PM In reply to

• danny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 24 2010
    • Posts 72
    • Points 895

Thank you Andrew for that. I had read that too in the 8.7.2 notes, but I need to find some downtime to upgrade OS and MC when not in the middle of a project. Let's hope that relinking is finally stable. I'm frequently coming across projects starting in one NLE, main edit in another, and finishing in a third one - in another country!

I feel that the AAF should import and re-connect straight away to its media. If Premiere and Resolve can do it (even with QT), it can't be that hard. Even FCP7 could do it with a couple of clicks :)

(BTW your link to further Quicktime support info doesn't appear to work.)

Thanks for the link to the feature request forum. I have submitted ideas to the ACA and voted on the existing suggestions, but would like to add some more ideas. regards, Danny.

Mac 3Ghz 8-core cylinder Xeon E5. 32GB 1866Mhz DDR3. AMD D700 graphics x2. OS 10.12.6 with MC/Symphony 8.9.1 and MC2018 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 22 2017 8:57 PM In reply to

danny:
    (BTW your link to further Quicktime support info doesn't appear to work.)
    Fixed now
    danny:
    I feel that the AAF should import and re-connect straight away to its media. If Premiere and Resolve can do it (even with QT), it can't be that hard.
    Here AAF's between Resolve, MC and Pro Tools (touch wood) all link and re-link but these are all in house (local storage) with the only variable being Mac or PC.

I also have the feeling that Linking (AMA) is the weak link.  Linking and now the Source Browser, for me, has made things more reliable with each version but still completely there IMO.

danny:
    but I need to find some downtime to upgrade OS and MC when not in the middle of a project.
    If it is your 10.11.5 machine I make a copy of the project and move the original to another drive (temporarily) I would then upgrade just MC to 10.7.2 and test it works in a new project and if so on the copy of your project. If not then downgrade back to 8..6.1 and move your original project back into your Avid Projects folder.

FWIW I have not had any Project compatibility issues when updating only MC since MC 4. So I have ignored the traditional wisdom since then and consistently upgraded mid Projects. On a Mac Pro with 10.10.5 I have upgraded a major project here with over 2 TB's of Linked media through all versions of MC from versions 8.6.2 to 8.7.2 without issues.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller