Latest post Mon, Jul 3 2017 1:40 AM by Han Solo-Mute. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 11 2017 3:35 PM

• adam5000
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 640
    • Points 8,490

Export / Render / Transcode Email Notifications?

Is anybody aware of the full procedure to setting up email (and or text) notifications from within the Avid when a render or transcode or export is completed. I know there's an option for it in the settings menu, but I've yet to find a rundown of what the full settings need to be in order to make it work.  Is there official Avid documentation?  Or even a third party description, with complete information.  So far any searches turn up almost nothing useful. 

MC Version 8.4.4 Mac OS 10.10.5 IMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5 16gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 13 2017 4:28 PM In reply to

• adam5000
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 640
    • Points 8,490

Re: Export / Render / Transcode Email Notifications?

Still no luck on getting this email notification set up to work. There are numerous server settings to fill out and I find it hard to believe that there's not some explanation of what is what.

Here's the message I get sent from gmail when a test email is sent from the Avid.

Hi,
    Google just blocked someone from signing into your Google Account from an app that may put your account at risk.
    Less secure app
    Friday, January 13, 2017 10:11 AM (Eastern Standard Time)
    New York, NY, U
    SA*

Additionally I might add that the only time this works at all is in the above case of a test email.  If I do an export or transcode or render, no email is sent at all.

MC Version 8.4.4 Mac OS 10.10.5 IMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5 16gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 13 2017 5:34 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,680
    • Points 47,215
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

The easiest way is to copy the settings for an outgoing Email server from whatever Email program you use. Since it looks like you're using Gmail, the settings should be (where Yes means to check off the checkbox):

SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
    Port: 465 (not 25, which is the default)
    Authenticate with username/password: Yes
    Store password: your choice; Yes for convenience
    Username: xxxxxx@gmail.com
    password: whatever
    USE SSL: Yes

The Email settings (From Name and From Address) don't have to be real. For example, for the name you could use "Adams's Media Composer" and for the address you could use "AdamsMediaComposer@nosuchemail.com". You could also use a real user and Email (if you ever wondered how people so easily spam Email addresses, now you know; these things aren't checked by anything when you create and send an Email). The To address is the one to which you must use a valid Emai address.

Change the Send Email events for those events from which you want notification, and set the Master Email Control to Yes.

For gmail I suggest using an actual From username and address.

Hope this helps.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Jan 13 2017 5:38 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,345

Also

adam5000:
    Hi,
    Google just blocked someone from signing into your Google Account from an app that may put your account at risk.

there is a setting in your gmail account to allow this ( from old memory .. )

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Jan 13 2017 6:06 PM In reply to

• adam5000
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 640
    • Points 8,490

I've tried some of these settings before, but I'll try again.  Thank you.

• Sat, Jan 14 2017 4:44 PM In reply to

• adam5000
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 640
    • Points 8,490

Tried a few more options with gmail and no matter what I've done, it's just not working. So I decided to switch to a different email account, this time a Hotmail / Live account, and finally success.

In case this helps others down the line, here are the settings I used.

SMTP Server: smtp.live.com

PORT:  587

USER NAME:  email account name

PASSWORD:  email password

CHECK OFF: USE SSL

EMAIL SETTINGS:

Name: Could be anything

From Address: email account name

To Address: email account name

• Wed, Apr 19 2017 3:03 AM In reply to

After following the above instructions, I'm still unable to get MC to notify me via my gmail. Any further ideas? Thank you.

• Wed, May 10 2017 9:53 AM In reply to

I've managed to get this working with hotmail but not gmail or my own personal email which is supplied by 1&1.  Only hotmail returns a successful result for me.

Andi 

HP ZBook G5 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 Nvidia Quadro P2000 4GB 32GB Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.7 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2014) 2.5GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 10 2017 2:30 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,736
    • Points 224,820
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

All

We are working on the gmail issue but not making head way yet. I will update you when I have scoop.

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Jul 3 2017 1:40 AM In reply to

Marianna and team solved it! Thanks!

In addition to the instructions in comments above, get an "App Specific Password" from gmail. Enter that into the Settings-->Email-->Password. 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller