Latest post Fri, Dec 16 2016 3:11 AM by smyers63. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 11 2016 7:06 PM

• pipwatkins
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 28 2016
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Invalid attr kind. External Drive issue? Need help!

Hi

I've been working on a project where both the project and footage are stored on an external drive via USB. (the project also seems to be stored in OneDrive under documents, not sure which it loads from)

When I open the project, all the bins seem to load fine but once it gets to the bin containing the sequences the loading bar stops and this error message appears:

Invalid attr kind.

File:..\..src.CompMan\AAtrList.c Line: 501

I was able to access this project fine only yesterday and can't think anything I may have changed/ done differently.

There's another project which is stored in the exact same way which I can access just fine.

In big need of help!

p.s. not sure what other specs/ details I may need to give. Let me know

Thanks,

Pip

• Sun, Dec 11 2016 9:04 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Invalid attr kind. External Drive issue? Need help!

Maybe try deleting the project settings file for that project.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Sun, Dec 11 2016 9:33 PM In reply to

• pipwatkins
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Thanks for the reply,

Sorry but same thing again

• Sun, Dec 11 2016 9:40 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

The site settings and user settings might also need to be trashed.  Hard to say if it's only one project that's having the problem.

What happens if you create a new project, regardless if it's just a simple one to test what happens?  Create a new one and add some clips and edits, then close it and try to open it again.

Maybe that one bin is corrupt.  Can you find a good copy from the Attic?

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Sun, Dec 11 2016 10:59 PM In reply to

• pipwatkins
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Yep just swapped out for one in the attic, works fine now.

Any tips on avoiding this in future? Was it corrupted just due to failed saves or...?

Thanks for the help!

Pip

• Mon, Dec 12 2016 12:52 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

Good to hear you got going again.  It's tough to say why any file gets corrupted on a computer.  It just happens and sometimes there's no explanation or anything to accurately blame it on.  It could be an intermittent cable connection while it's being written, any other sort of electrical glitch of any of a number of kinds while it's being written, physically moving the drive while it's reading/writing past its allowable acceleration, a faulty drive that's just not bad enough yet to notice and then the corruption could be from reading incorrectly or writing incorrectly (if it was read incorrectly and then saved correctly, you'd still end up with a bad file because what was originally read wasn't correct).  Even data getting messed up in RAM and then being written back would corrupt things but the computer would see it as an accurate write to disk at the time.

Scott

• Thu, Dec 15 2016 10:30 PM In reply to

Another thing that may help avoiding corruption (not be essential) BUT IMO should be part of any workflow is politely quitting MC. It only adds less than a minute to the close out.

When finished editing
    Use the File/Save all.
    Then Close Project
    Then Quit from the Project Select window.

Reason for the suggestion ... my gut instinct .... based on over 2 decades of closing out of MC this way and never (yet) having had a corupt bin or corupt setting file.

• Thu, Dec 15 2016 10:58 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

AndrewAction:

Another thing that may help avoiding corruption (not be essential) BUT IMO should be part of any workflow is politely quitting MC. It only adds less than a minute to the close out.

When finished editing
    Use the File/Save all.
    Then Close Project

Reason for the suggestion ... my gut instinct .... based on over 2 decades of closing out of MC this way and never (yet) having had a corupt bin or corupt setting file.

I've never had a corrupt bin or project and I variously close MC in all of the possible ways.  If any of those ways are causing trouble, they should be documented and reported as bugs.  MC is designed to save bins, settings and project with all the close methods.

Of course, forcing an exit through any means is not with any liklihood going to save settings, bins and project but I've never had anything corrupted from that, either.

Scott

• Thu, Dec 15 2016 11:49 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,619
    • Points 223,340
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

True but Andrew makes a good point because noone computers are alike nor are the drives.  Since it isnt apple to apples... might be better practice to quit. I do.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Dec 16 2016 12:22 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

Exactly. Quitting can be done the way Andrew mentioned or by clicking the close button (X) in the upper right of the MC program window. You end up in the same place,  just without the "open project" dialog or manually initiating a save (I do manually save often, by the way). The rest is the same as I was trying to say. That is definitely an allowed method for closing the software. There isn't anything "impolite" using that method. It saves, closes project, then closes MC without extra user intervention. Smile

Scott

• Fri, Dec 16 2016 1:08 AM In reply to

smyers63:
    There isn't anything "impolite" using that method. It saves, closes project, then closes MC without extra user intervention
    Sure. But my way manually completes its saving before you can start the close project sequence. Theclose projects process completes to MC's satisfaction before you can start the quit MC process.

The 

smyers63:
    closes MC without extra user intervention
    and therefore could possibly allow a slightly impatient soul to try starting a different computer process whilst MC is still manipulating Cache in it's auto save and close process.  A long shot I admit but at least to me conceivable. Wink

• Fri, Dec 16 2016 1:42 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,619
    • Points 223,340
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

AndrewAction:

part of any workflow is politely quitting MC. It only adds less than a minute to the close out.

When finished editing
    Use the File/Save all.
    Then Close Project

Totally in agreement with Andrew.
    I also used his method in the days when I used MC a lot.

Maybe it is a cultural thingy? Geeked

Regards

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Dec 16 2016 1:58 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

It's all the same whether manual or automatic but everyone is free to close this or any software as they wish. Those two points were the ones I wanted to make clear.

I'm waiting to hear someone say users should leave MC open all the time, giving their logic on how that's best! Wink

Scott

• Fri, Dec 16 2016 2:42 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,485
    • Points 42,025

And if we are being extra careful, make a back up copy of the project on a different drive at the end of every session.....

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Dec 16 2016 3:11 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

jef:

And if we are being extra careful, make a back up copy of the project on a different drive at the end of every session.....

Jef

Certainly backups are something that should be kept for anything that can't be easily and/or quickly recreated if lost.  I think in many cases even people who make backups don't keep them stored either on media or in places which are safe enough.  That's a different discussion, though, but a good one to have.

Scott

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller