Latest post Fri, Nov 18 2016 11:41 PM by jwrl. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 16 2016 3:12 AM

Disk seems corrupted - what now?

Hi,

In ten years on this forum I've been dreading having to write this post. 

The disk my project is on seems to have given up the ghost. 

It was a 4K project with all media edited natively then mixed down to HD for export.

Firstly it says ...various files are not an .MXF file. 

Offers the chance to Quarantine.

I Quarantine all. 

Then it tries to scan the drive: Scanning E:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1\...

Hangs forever. Strange noises from drive. 

I went back and deleted .mdb and .pmr. 

Tried again. 

Still hangs. 

Will let the drive cool down overnight but suspect it's kaput (NB 3GB drive - avoid at all costs, they even seem to self-erase when copying large quantities of music/films etc).

So what now?

I'm dimly aware you can 'relink'? to the original rushes. Any idea how? 

Where does the newly-imported media and metadata go? Onto a whole new drive? 

What happens to the old metadata, currently on the kaput drive? Thinking colour correction etc.

There were also a couple of bought-in effects, originals on rushes drive but saved to kaput drive.

I acknowledge this is a total meltdown but eventually one has to learn this stuff - can anyone help?

Thanks,

Jon

• Wed, Nov 16 2016 4:59 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Disk seems corrupted - what now?

Yes, the strange noises along with corrupted files are a pretty sure sign of physical/mechanical trouble and/or electrical/interface trouble.

Are you able to open directories/folders on the drive at all, even if only at times?  If so, all isn't lost.  I've had intermittent troubles with external drives after they've gained some use and have been able to save their data by putting a small fan near them to keep them cool while I transfer data to another drive.  Whether your failing drive is internal or external, you may be able to save a lot (or all) of your data by moving data off to another drive while the bad drive is working, then stop if things start going wrong again and let it cool a while before continuing.

I even had one act like it was completetly gone but only needed the file table(s) rebuilt.  Windows would say it needed formatting.  DON"T FORMAT A DRIVE THAT'S BEEN WORKING FINE BUT THEN STARTS SHOWING THAT MESSAGE!  ALL DATA WILL BE LOST IF YOU DO!  Drives in that condition need to have their contents scanned to find the links between the chunks of data that comprise the files, then they need to have file table(s) rebuilt, then they need chkdsk run on them to put all the links to the file chunks back together.  It took me several hours to do this on one of my drives recently and remarkably I got all the data back except for around 3 or 4 Avid MXF files that were quarantined out of hundreds that were on the drive.

The other possibility is sending it to a data recovery service and there are plenty.  I'd trust those offered by drive manufacturers (Seagate is one who has such a service) over others that might be found.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Wed, Nov 16 2016 5:36 AM In reply to

Scott,

Thank you. I gave the drive a rest, even stuck it in the fridge to cool off. I think it's just dead. 

Do you or anyone know how to go back to the original rushes (archived on another drive) and reassemble the edit? 

I guess one needs metadata (stored where?), a way of directing Avid to the original rushes, a way of reassembling them onto a fresh drive, and a way of salvaging as many of the original effects as possible.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Jon 

• Wed, Nov 16 2016 5:42 AM In reply to

Btw to answer your question, yes the MXF folder on the drive is accessible and presumably copyable.

There's even a neat new little 'Quarantine' folder containing around 10 MXF files. 

The issue is every time I open Avid it tries to Scan the drive, then hangs/crashes before Avid can even get going. 

It's unlikely to be a cooling issue as I just got the drive out of the refrigerator...

• Wed, Nov 16 2016 6:33 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

That much cooling could cause condensation inside and certainly outside that you want to avoid. Moisture on the circuit board or the platter is bad.  Cooling should only mean room temperature like with a fan blowing room air onto it. Don't run it now until it has completely returned to room temperature to allow condensation to dissipate.  Let it go back to room temperature naturally and don't use any sort of heat to speed it up.

I would try to copy your project files and the media to another drive while you can. Otherwise I'd send the drive to a recovery service.

If it were mine, I could troubleshoot it further and maybe accomplish more.  I assumed you were having an overall failure based on what you said earlier but it's not quite clear if you have a failing drive overall or if you just have some corrupted files.  I don't see system specs in the section at the bottom of your posts (which would come from filling in your forum profile with the specs) but since you're posting in the PC section I'll assume you're on Windows.  Have you run chkdsk on the drive to see what happens?

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Wed, Nov 16 2016 7:13 AM In reply to

Thanks Scott, fair point. Disk has survived and works fine. 

I think we may be approaching this from different directions. 

You're concluding the disk has failed and is in need of recovery.

In fact the disk functions just fine - I just copied a load of music onto it which plays perfectly. 

The issue is there's something within the Avid MediaFiles folder that's causing Avid to freeze/crash whenver it tries to boot up. 

As said I tried deleting the two usual .pmr and .mdb files but it still hangs.  

I could spend days offloading the media onto another drive but surely the same would happen?

All advice welcome!

Thanks

• Wed, Nov 16 2016 7:43 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

Now, with the additional information it sounds like you have some more corrupt media files beyond those already quarantined. Move files out of the folder where you're seeing the media scan fail into a folder that MC won't scan. Instead of a folder named with a number, you can use one named with text. As you move batches out, MC will rescan the original location. When you get to the point where you no longer have an error for the media scan, you know the corrupt media files are in the new folder. Start moving files back into a numbered folder in smaller batches until you get the error again. You'll be narrowing down to which files are corrupt this way. Leave the corrupt files in the text-named folder. Keep moving files like that until you've found and isolated all that cause the error into that text-named folder that doesn't get scanned. Of course, leave the files that aren't causing the error in a numbered folder.  After that, you can see what media you need to recreate because it will be offline in MC.

I had to do this a few weeks ago with a few hundred files.  Thankfully, I only lost around 6 and those weren't criticial anyway.  The fact that they kept the drive's media folder from being scanned was keeping a lot of media offline.  Deleting the database files as you've said you did won't do a thing to help.  The corrupt files will still crash the scan.  The quarantine process wasn't enough in my case to remove them and apparently wasn't enough in your case.  You'll have to "quarantine" them yourself as I described.

Have you run chkdsk on the drive yet as I mentioned earlier?  You should do that before going further in case there are filesystem errors that need fixing.  Moving files while there are filesystem errors will liklely leave you with other errors later.

Scott

• Wed, Nov 16 2016 6:27 PM In reply to

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the tip. Sounds practical if attritional. 

However the drive is 3GB and contains around 1800 MXF files!

And every time it crashes Avid will have to be rebooted. 

How long did it take you??

NB Ran chkdsk thanks. 

• Wed, Nov 16 2016 6:58 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

I never had MC crash from corrupted media.  I just couldn't get a media scan to complete until I isolated the bad media.  For the number of files I had on that drive, it took me an hour or two.  I kept MC running the entire time and if it didn't automatically rescan after moving files, I'd go into the menus and force a manual scan.  I didn't have as many files on my drive as you have on your drive but the size of the drive was in hundreds of GB or in the TB.  I think the size of the media on it was in the hundreds of GB.  I have files stored on several drives.

To possibly save time, you could move half to a folder that wouldn't be scanned (named with text instead of a number, for example).  If you get another failed scan, move half of what's left.  If you get a good scan, move half of the ones already moved back into a different numbered folder (so you will be keeping track of which ones have already been moved).  Keep moving files away or back depending on the result of the media scan.  In math or computing, that's called successive approximation and is often the quickest way to reach a solution.  If you have some idea of what files are corrupt, you could start with those.  Otherwise, you just have to start moving files back and forth until you find which ones are causing the trouble.

The sooner you start, the sooner you finish.  That's about the best I can say.  If MC is crashing just because of a failed media scan, I think I'd start looking at a reinstall of MC or installing a different version temporarily before starting isolating the corrupt media files.  MC shouldn't be crashing just because there are corrupt media files.  If a drive stops responding for a time, then MC/Windows could report that MC isn't responding.  That's a false report.  If you leave it alone, it will come back when the drive comes back.  If you're killing MC or the computer needlessly while MC is doing a media scan, you might just be getting yourself into a never-ending loop and making no progress.

Scott

• Wed, Nov 16 2016 7:42 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

Something else to maybe help you feel better about how long this might take.  In my case, I was moving data from one drive to another because I didn't know if the drive was going bad or if some of the media was just corrupt.

If you really know your drive is good, moving an item from a folder to another folder on the SAME drive only takes seconds because nothing is really being moved.  Only the data in the file table(s) is being changed.

Scott

• Wed, Nov 16 2016 8:18 PM In reply to

Scott,

Thanks for the advice, will give it a try.

Successive Approximation - thanks for giving it a name. 

My terminology is poor. As you say MC doesn't 'crash' per se it just freezes/hangs about 5 seconds in. If you click on it you get 'Avid Editor is not responding'. So from what you say, one just persistently sifts files until it starts scanning again? The freeze looks awafully permanent...

'Go into the menu and force a manual scan' - alas no idea what this means. 

I'm going to give this a go but already getting the impression there are LOTS of corrupt files. 

Re: my initial post, if all else fails is there no way of reassembling the edit from rushes/scratch?

Thanks. Incidentally cannot imagine I'm the first Avid user to encounter a drive failure so the absence of other input suggests it's either a)pedestrian b)baffling or c)boring to everyone else...

• Wed, Nov 16 2016 9:09 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

The hanging is what I was talking about earlier.  Windows will say MC isn't responding when Windows doesn't even know what's going on.  I ALWAYS ignore that unless I've waited until anything going on with drives is done.  If a drive is having difficulty reading or writing files, that is exactly what will happen.  Killing MC with that goofy (false) Windows dialog about "not responding" is what I said was the never-ending loop where you won't get anywhere.  Don't kill MC just because that shows up.  You could very well be causing even more corrupt files by killing MC while that's going on.  I've waited many minutes  - yes, many minutes and many minutes repeatedly at intervals - for an error-ridden drive to get back in gear and for MC to respond again.  Be patient when that happens until you've corrected the problem with the corrupt files.  After that, you can be a little less patient.

If MC doesn't automatically rescan your media drive(s) when you've moved files, there are options in MC's menus for rebuilding media databases and for rescanning drives.  They're easy to find if you need them.  Usually, MC will automatically rescan a media drive after files are moved.  If it doesn't, then just go through the menus and use those two options as needed.  You can also get a rescan by opening up the media tool and running it on all drives and all projects or at least on the drive where you're moving files.   That will usually also force a rescan.  I leave MC running while I move files rather than close it and reopen as many here will say to do.  It's not really necessary and wastes time I don't like to waste.

As far as rebuilding your sequence(s) goes, I think you should see what media is still good and what is bad before going back to nothing.  I'm not a professional editor and not an expert in that area.  My expertise is in hardware, software and computers in general.  I also know a lot about the kinds or routine things in MC like we're talking about.  I've had recent experience in doing what I was describing about isolating bad media and at the time it was hard to tell if the drive was bad, if MC was messed up or if it was corrupt media without a bad drive.  It was corrupt media without a bad drive but there may have also been some filesystem errors that needed correcting.  I think you have the same situation where the drive is OK but some files are corrupt.

The folks who are editing experts are possibly busy at work and will see what's going on here when they have a chance.  I still think you should determine what media is OK and what is corrupt first rather than jumping into recreating a whole sequence or set of sequences.  If you move half your media files into another non-media folder and MC scans the old folder successfuly, you've already found the half where the problem is.  That shouldn't take long at all.  Then, just continue with the half-moving approach until you filter down to which are good and which are bad.  With the good in your normal media folder and the bad in your non-media folder, open your sequence(s) again and see what's missing.  Bring in media that's missing, rerender what might need rerendering and you'll be off and running without starting from scratch.  I think you might have been able to accomplish all that in the time you've been wanting to go back to scratch.

Scott

• Wed, Nov 16 2016 9:15 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,901
    • Points 214,225
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

This is worth a try.  If you can get inside the computer (with it off of course), disconnect the power to the drive.  Hoefully you have another boot drive you can attach externally.  if so, start up the computer and once it is at the desktop, reconnect the power to the drive that freezes.  sometimes that will bypass checks and it will work.  be prepared if it does to back it up toot sweet.  

I use to handle drives for Apple at a ligh level of support at corporate so I woudl try that.  if it doesnt work - repeat over but give the top of the drive a little tap.  heads might be sticking...

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, Nov 16 2016 9:18 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485

I don't think the drive is bad based on what he's said.

Scott

• Thu, Nov 17 2016 5:55 AM In reply to

Well guys I've spent several hours on this with sadly unproductive results. 

The 'successive approximation' process became increasingly surreal as I created sub-folder after sub-folder like a Russian doll. 

No matter how limited the number of files left to scan Avid always 'hangs' after 5-10 seconds. 

Alas the concept of waiting out the 'Avid Editor is not responding' window also falls flat - no matter how long I wait or how many files I shuffle it never came back. This also precludes any manual scan as Avid can never open. 

I can only conclude there's been a massive corruption of files or there's some other disk issue I don't really understand. 

Thanks for your time but I'm again at a loss. 

Time to think about reimporting media? 

Jon 

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller