Latest post Thu, Nov 10 2016 11:06 PM by Avid Student 19. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 9 2016 5:47 PM

EDL Error: Exception: EDL_OPT_NO_EDITS

EDL Error: Exception: EDL_OPT_NO_EDITS

If I select video tracks separately, no problems whatsoever. 

If I select "V all" this comes up and won't let me create any EDL.

Also, I tried making an EDL on another computer with the same sequence and it does not give an error but it doesn't see all the clips in my sequence and the VFX House said they weren't able to use the EDL. 

Thanks for your help. 

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Nov 9 2016 8:51 PM In reply to

Re: EDL Error: Exception: EDL_OPT_NO_EDITS

EDLs, which are based on decades-old linear tape based editing, generally can have only one video track.

I think that is working as expected, but what template are you using?

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Nov 9 2016 8:56 PM In reply to

I am using CMX_3600 as they had specified they wanted. Also, if EDL Manager can only produce good EDLs with one video track at a time, why have the option of doing all Video tracks together in one EDL?

• Wed, Nov 9 2016 9:02 PM In reply to

CMX 3600 allows for only one video track. (I know because I actually used a CMX 3600 many years ago.)

I'm not sure as to why more tracks are allowed...perhaps some of the other templates work that way? Honestly I haven't used EDLs for years as our workflow includes only AAFs.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Nov 10 2016 4:06 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

CMX suites were normally a 3 or 4 tape machine suite BUT you only had one recorder. To mulitlayer you would have to record something, switch to a new recorder and ad something to the pre-record. With 4 machines you could roll an animation, a keyroll and a base layer and record to another machine. CMX does support other sources as well - so you could add supers and animated supers from Chyrons and Quantel etc. This was all supported in the CMX EDL using triggers (GPI's) but CMX didn't understand anything more than external device A was being triggered at this timecode and again at this timecode during an edit (it did understand mixer codes but that's another story).

There's nothing analagous in an NLE with more than one layer except for straight supers. Plus I would argue if you don't have any effects then you don't need any more than one layer. Cuts and dissolves are all you should be sending to the post house - that's one video layer). If you need to send them an A and B roll you do that in separate EDL's. 

Check that you've assigned tape names to all your different sources - or it probably won't work in an EDL.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Thu, Nov 10 2016 11:06 PM In reply to

Thanks. Unfortunately, I am having another problem. Now I am able to make an EDL but some audio tracks are listed without timecode on the right side. Not sure how this can be removed. Please advise. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller