Latest post Sun, Nov 13 2016 9:12 PM by mjolnarn. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 7 2016 2:48 PM

• ArrowStarr
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Pittsburgh, PA
    • Posts 311
    • Points 4,020

Workflow is auful

Hi all,

Because I am working with MC 5.3, it is very finicky about what footage it will import.  I found this out the hard way by shooting with the JVC 750U (1080 60i) MP4. 

My media composer will not accept the files becasue as it turns out, the files are actually XDCam in an MP4 Wrapper, whatever the hell that means.  Due to this, my burdensom workflow is as follows..

Import clips from SDHC card to a converter program called Wondershare (great program only $50). I then convert each clip to a real MP4 or Mov file.  I then import that result into the Avid system.  Unfortuantely, a 4 minute clip took over an hour to import into my media composer.  I have over 70 clips!

Any thought on this folks?

dm

Custom Built 3.4 ghz, Xeon Dual Processor, NVidia Quadro 1700, SoundBlaster Audigy, QT 5.5, 3-400GB drives, 80GB System Drive, SuperMicro X6-DAE-G2 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 7 2016 3:34 PM In reply to

• ArrowStarr
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Pittsburgh, PA
    • Posts 311
    • Points 4,020

Re: Workflow is auful

sorry, it drives me crazy that I misspelled Awful.

Custom Built 3.4 ghz, Xeon Dual Processor, NVidia Quadro 1700, SoundBlaster Audigy, QT 5.5, 3-400GB drives, 80GB System Drive, SuperMicro X6-DAE-G2 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 7 2016 3:37 PM In reply to

You need to convert to an Avid native codec in the first conversion. You are effectively converting each file twice.

You need an encoding application that can convert to a supported Avid codec that matches the codec/ resolution you would use in MC. Then when you import it should offer the option to fast import ( a copy and re-wrap really)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Mon, Nov 7 2016 3:37 PM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,861
    • Points 24,395

Try Convert V3 at hdcinematics.com  You can wrap the original files to MOV and they will either link or import.  The conversion process takes literally seconds per clip.  You can download a trial version of the program.  I think it sells for 40 or 50 dollars.  The only catch is that I believe it is a 64 bit program.  Don't know what your system is.

Denny

Media Composer 2019.6, BCC Continuum 12.5, , Boris Red 5.6., Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard with Intel 3930K Processor. 32 gigs DDR3 ram, Windows 10 Pro 1803... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 7 2016 5:04 PM In reply to

Do NOT use Wondershare.  It features prominently among others in the old but relevant Speaking with Spammers article.  Plus, it's forcing what appears to be some completely unnecessary conversions.  XDCam is natively supported by Avid.  Long transcodes should not be a part of this process at all.

If it's XDCam - does the media come all inside a BPAV folder like Sony XDCam should?

If so - install the Sony AMA plugin (looks like you might specifically need the older 32-bit legacy version for MC 5.5.3 compatibility - might be plugin v1.2 or v1.3?), then link to one level ABOVE the BPAV folder.  All your clips will show up in a bin.  No third-party tools of questionable repute necessary, AND the clips will all show up with proper timecode, and multi-file clips will properly show up as single spanned clips.

XDCam is natively supported by Media Composer, so you'd be able to simply consolidate the clips - which is simply rewrapping the raw video, without conversion.  As a result, XDCam workflows should be incredibly fast.  First, let's see how your raw media is structured - then, let's take it from there.

This thread from 2011 may also be relevant with JVC-created XDCam workflow in MC 5.5.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.5, Avid Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 7 2016 10:14 PM In reply to

• ArrowStarr
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Pittsburgh, PA
    • Posts 311
    • Points 4,020

Amazing info Traveler...the files are wrapped in a BPAV.  I'm going to follow your guidence and let you know what happens.  Thank you so much!

dm

• Mon, Nov 7 2016 10:24 PM In reply to

• ArrowStarr
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Pittsburgh, PA
    • Posts 311
    • Points 4,020

Having trouble finding the SONY AMA plugin...the link I need leads to a Page not found

dm

• Tue, Nov 8 2016 4:54 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

Click

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 8 2016 6:11 PM In reply to

Unfortunately, I don't think that'll work - the legacy ones on that page don't go far back enough to the 32-bit versions.

THIS PAGE from Sony goes even farther back - under "Applications, Plug-Ins, and Device Drivers".  Check your exact point-release of MC (5.5.3? or is it 5.3?), and find the corresponding plug-in version.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.5, Avid Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 12 2016 5:42 AM In reply to

• v-block
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 544
    • Points 6,885

I have a few old 1080p wmv files I like to use bits of from time to time. It is an absolute pain to get them into MC but I've just downloaded a trial of the Acrok converter from Blackmagic and it looks very promising. There are so many dodgy looking converters out there but I'm liking what I see so far. It certainly cuts out a few clumsy steps with the WMV files for sure.

Asus X58 Sabertooth motherboard, Core i7 920 CPU, Win 7 Pro 64bit, NVIDIA GeForce GT610, 12GB Corsair 3x4GB CMX-12GX3M3A1333C9 ram in triple channel config... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 12 2016 12:28 PM In reply to

Acrok is not from Blackmagic - its website actually looks similar to most of the spammer sites.  Beware.

If you have MC5, don't you have Sorenson Squeeze bundled?

• Sat, Nov 12 2016 4:24 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,777
    • Points 44,590
    • Moderator: MCA PC

v-block:

I've just downloaded a trial of the Acrok converter from Blackmagic ... There are so many dodgy looking converters out there but I'm liking what I see so far.

That is definitely and obviously a "dodgy" one - not just "dodgy-looking."  They stole the Blackmagic name for a page URL and product name on the "Acrok" site to make you (and who knows how many others) think it was a Blackmagic Designs product.

It isn't.

The English on the site is pretty bad in way too many places.  That's just in addition to them having stolen a reputable company's name to put on their "product."  They only use the Blackmagic name on a particular page on their site.  It's not called that elsewhere, so there's another big red flag.  If it's legitimate, you don't call it by another company's name AND at the same time call it by your own name.

You should ditch that garbage before something bad happens.

Scott

• Sat, Nov 12 2016 4:59 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,777
    • Points 44,590
    • Moderator: MCA PC

smyers63:

v-block:

I've just downloaded a trial of the Acrok converter from Blackmagic ... There are so many dodgy looking converters out there but I'm liking what I see so far.

That is definitely and obviously a "dodgy" one - not just "dodgy-looking."  They stole the Blackmagic name for a page URL and product name on the "Acrok" site to make you (and who knows how many others) think it was a Blackmagic Designs product.

It isn't.

The English on the site is pretty bad in way too many places.  That's just in addition to them having stolen a reputable company's name to put on their "product."  They only use the Blackmagic name on a particular page on their site.  It's not called that elsewhere, so there's another big red flag.  If it's legitimate, you don't call it by another company's name AND at the same time call it by your own name.

You should ditch that garbage before something bad happens.

And if it hasn't it you already, the name says it all: it's "a crock."

Scott

• Sun, Nov 13 2016 12:04 PM In reply to

• v-block
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 544
    • Points 6,885

Thanks for the heads up, I saw the name Blackmagic and thought I'd give the trial a spin. I tried it on some old 1080p WMV files I had and it converted them to DNxHD without any fuss. For that Blackmagic naughtyness, it must be gone. 

Asus X58 Sabertooth motherboard, Core i7 920 CPU, Win 7 Pro 64bit, NVIDIA GeForce GT610, 12GB Corsair 3x4GB CMX-12GX3M3A1333C9 ram in triple channel config... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 13 2016 1:48 PM In reply to

For converters - have you tried HD Cinematics Convert?  Again, maybe you have Sorenson Squeeze because you have MC v5, a version which included the software UNLESS it's an Academic version?

But yes - avoid that one you have.  Even if the DNxHD works (AND results in the correct framerate AND properly consolidates into MC) - they come from a shady network of tools.  Read Speaking with Spammers.

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller