Latest post Wed, Feb 15 2006 3:27 PM by JeronCoolman. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 31 2005 10:48 PM

• HamNCheese
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 351
    • Points 5,255

Capture aborted due to lack of progress

This error is suddenly cropping up, anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes into digitizing.  Until yesterday the system had digitized over 100 tapes just fine, this error just started.  I have a new, fast system (Dell 670 dual Xeon 3.0 Ghz with 1.5GB RAM) so I'm not sure why this would be an issue.  Drive indexing is off, PC Health is off on all media drives.  No background utils running that weren't running when the system was digitizing perfectly.

Most annoying is that when the error pops up it doesn't beep or even stop the deck, so I can't tell it's happened unless I constantly check the Avid screen.
    freelance, I work on a lot of systems [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 31 2005 10:52 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,163
    • Points 57,905
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Capture aborted due to lack of progress

Perhaps  this will help:

Capture settings...omf media file tab...change the default "switch to emptiest drive" setting from when 1 minute remains to when 10 minutes remain...

MC 8.0, Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), 17" Macbook Pro i7 with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive. Suite 2. MC5, Dell Precision 650, 3.06 Ghz, Two internal... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 1 2005 12:10 AM In reply to

AW: Capture aborted due to lack of progress

the same happens to me too.
    since 2 days.
    since 5.2.
    the problem did not occur in my fomer 4.3.5 installation.

i will try the hint from our moderator the next days.

ingo

MAC 1: MC 7.0.4 / Mojo DX / MacPro 2x 2,66 Nehalem / 12 GB Ram / OSX 10.8.5 / NVIDIA GeFOrce GT 120

MAC 2: MC 5.5.3 / Matrox mxo2 mini / MacPro 2x 3.0 Quad / 8GB Ram / OSX 10.7.5 / QT X

• Tue, Nov 1 2005 2:42 AM In reply to

• HamNCheese
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 351
    • Points 5,255

Adman wrote:

Perhaps  this will help:

Capture settings...omf media file tab...change the default "switch to emptiest drive" setting from when 1 minute remains to when 10 minutes remain...

thanks, but nope.  Already had it set to 10 minutes, and besides I have hours left on the drive.
  • Tue, Nov 1 2005 2:45 AM In reply to

• HamNCheese
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 351
    • Points 5,255

Just as an addendum to this problem, I seem to be able to get one good long digitze in, the first try after each reboot.  After that the error starts appearing.  What's interesting is that first digitize can be 1 minute or 1 hour, it doesn't matter--once I've digitzed once successfully, after that the error starts to pop up on all subsequent digitizing.

I tried a complete uninstall and reinstall of 5.2, problem continues.

• Tue, Nov 1 2005 2:53 AM In reply to

From a loo...ong time ago there was a problem like this and from a poor memory it was to do with the Video preread setting..

Please make Enter Slip and Enter Slide mode selection available for mapping (to buttons or KB) via the Command Palette.

• Tue, Nov 1 2005 4:44 PM In reply to

My system always has done this on capture. Only a couple of times have I actually been able to capture to the end of the capure limit or end of tape "properly" where it just stops capturing, stops the tape and saves the file. The clip that gets captured is fine and usable.

It typically aborts at random times. I can capture, have it abort 5 min in, rewind, recapture, have it abort 10 min in, rinse and repeat all day with different results on the same tape. I've captured over 50 different tapes and all exhibit the same behavior. There are no time code breaks. Most of the tapes are set to record on a tripod until the tape runs out.

I have 2 HDV cameras and 1 HDV deck and all exhibit the same behavior, except the cameras actually stop playing when the capture aborts, the deck keeps playing.

Pre-5.2 this was a problem when capturing downconverted DV. Now with 5.2 downconverted DV captures just fine, but HDV doesn't.

This is just one of the many Xpress flaky/quirks/bugs that I've just grown to live with. Other software that allows me to capture HDV from the same devices like Vegas capture with no problems at all on my machine.

Oh yeah, it does seem that the "best" capture occurs when it is the first one after a total system reboot, not just shutting Xpress Pro down and restarting.

I've been trying to fix this for 6 months Indifferent [:|]

Jeron

Click on Web Address [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 1 2005 11:38 PM In reply to

• HamNCheese
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 351
    • Points 5,255

OK, think I have it solved.  A couple of weeks ago I put in a sound blaster card, and I see now I accidentally put it into slot 2, which is the same bus that the Dell 670 uses for firewire.  It all worked fine for awhile so I had forgotten about it.  After a couple of days of the 'lack of progress' error today I pulled the card, and so far so good, no errors.  Why it took days for the problem to appear I'm not sure.  So I would recommend to anyone else having this problem to try moving their cards around to different slots.
  • Thu, Nov 3 2005 2:26 PM In reply to

AW: Re: Capture aborted due to lack of progress

nearly the same happened to me.
    i also removed my soundblaster audigy2 card - now i can digitize without errors (Wow! Cool! Extraordinary! i will buy a second license now!).
    the problem is i only have two pci32/33 slots.
    in the other slot there is the firewire-card.
    where to put the soundcard now?

i have one pciX slot left - i doesnt fit in there i guess...
    by the way: do i need a soundcard anyway? i have a mojo connected.

but while digitizing with the soundcard removed - no audio is being digitized.
    suggestions anyone?

thank you so much in advance.
    ingo.

my specs:
    intel server board SE7505VB2
    dual xeon 2,8
    2GB RAM
    quadro4 580XGL
    promise SATA RAID

xpress pro 5.2
    mojo

MAC 1: MC 7.0.4 / Mojo DX / MacPro 2x 2,66 Nehalem / 12 GB Ram / OSX 10.8.5 / NVIDIA GeFOrce GT 120

MAC 2: MC 5.5.3 / Matrox mxo2 mini / MacPro 2x 3.0 Quad / 8GB Ram / OSX 10.7.5 / QT X

• Thu, Nov 3 2005 2:31 PM In reply to

AW: Re: Capture aborted due to lack of progress

oops!
    i was too early.
    errors again - but the digitize lasted longer.
    i jumped from 12 to 30 minutes.
    and it now says "invalid frame encounterd" which it is definately not. i digitzed that tape before with my good old 4.3.5 version -without errors.

the hunt goes on...
    i am close to downgrade to 5.1.7.

ingo

• Tue, Nov 8 2005 2:54 AM In reply to

• avid_wizard
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • midwest US
    • Posts 178
    • Points 2,040

Big Smile [:D] Re: AW: Re: Capture aborted due to lack of progress

Y'know, maybe your program material is boring your computer, and what it really means is, "Capture aborted due to lack of interest".   :)
    Xpress DV Xpress Pro MC Adrenaline all PC [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 8 2005 7:43 AM In reply to

AW: Re: AW: Re: Capture aborted due to lack of progress

it is in fact boring, but my machine is used to that kind of footage.
    what about your adrenaline/pc?
    is it running smoothly - or do you also encounter some troubles after updating sometimes?

moreover - have you got any suggestions for me (except of "changing the footage" -)

ingo

• Tue, Nov 8 2005 8:10 AM In reply to

• Phil Lowe
    • Not Ranked
    • SE Michigan
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,330

Re: AW: Re: Capture aborted due to lack of progress

"..."invalid frame encounterd" which it is definately not. i digitzed that tape before with my good old 4.3.5 version -without errors."

I have the same Intel Mobo and processors you do and am running 5.2 just fine.  An invalid frame encountered usually doesn't mean that there is a bad frame on the tape.  What it does suggest is that something in the system generated an interrupt while capturing that caused the error.

That sounds like another device on the system bus or software running background processes that are causing the interrupts.

Are you using Mojo to capture?  What compression format are you trying to capture?  Where are you trying to capture it?  In which slot is the Firewire card inserted that you're using to connect Mojo?  Video drivers: which version are you using?

On my system, Mojo is in slot 3 on the mobo, attached to a certified ADS Pyro 64 bit card.  Slots 3 & 4 on the SE7505VB2 are on their own, independent bus segment.  If you're using one of these slots for Mojo's Firewire, make sure you don't have anything else - like a sound card - running in the other.

Make sure you're running the Avid certified drivers for your video card.  Video card manufacturers often release updates for their cards.  Avid may not be compatible with the latest drivers, and this may also be a cause for the problem you're facing.

If you're running anti-virus software or other memory-resident apps in the background, these can create problems, too.  If you must have your editing system on the internet for downloading updates, disable the network connection in the control panel for editing and only re-enable it when it's needed.  At that point, run your firewall/anti-virus/pop-up blocking software.  Or setup a second hardware profile under XP to which you can boot.

But again, yours doesn't sound like a 5.2 problem.

HTH.

P.S.  Many of the issues addressed above also relate directly to aborted capture erros, too.

Self-built system: Intel SE7505VB2 mobo 2 x 2.8 GHz Xeon processors, HT disabled. 2 GB RAM 1.25 TB media storage on two internal RAIDS ADS Pyro... [view my complete system specs]
    This space for rent.
  • Tue, Nov 8 2005 8:22 AM In reply to

• Phil Lowe
    • Not Ranked
    • SE Michigan
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,330

Re: AW: Re: Capture aborted due to lack of progress

"...i also removed my soundblaster audigy2 card - now i can digitize without errors
    the problem is i only have two pci32/33 slots.
    in the other slot there is the firewire-card.
    where to put the soundcard now?"

What do you have in slot 1, 2, or 5?  Put Mojo's Firewire card in 3, leave 4 empty, and put the sound card in 1, 2, or 5.  My Audigy card is in slot 1, wireless network card in slot 2, ADS Pyro card in 3, and an ATA-133 RAID card in 5.

Self-built system: Intel SE7505VB2 mobo 2 x 2.8 GHz Xeon processors, HT disabled. 2 GB RAM 1.25 TB media storage on two internal RAIDS ADS Pyro... [view my complete system specs]
    This space for rent.
  • Tue, Nov 8 2005 11:59 AM In reply to

Smile [:)] AW: Re: AW: Re: Capture aborted due to lack of progress

thank you for your answers!
    i will be back in my office in a few hours.
    i will check your slot-recommendations then!

as far as i can remember now i already have a ads-pyro card.

i went back to 5.1.6 at the moment. things are a bit better now.
    ..but not as stable as in the 4.3.5 days.

thanks!

ingo

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller