Latest post Fri, Oct 7 2016 5:04 AM by Mondo. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 6 2016 1:16 PM

Workflow Avid with 4k XAVC

Hi everybody.

Need help with 4k workflow.

I've AVID MC 8.6.3 and I need to start to make an editing of an documentary.

The documentary was shoot in 4k with a SONY FS7 in XAVC-I at 250mb/s of bitrate.

So the file are .mxf

My Mac is not able to edting this files in 4k, so I cant "AMA" (or LINK) all files. Too heavy.

But I need to link them because I need the native files to make color correction after the editing with DAVINCI.

So, I would to link all files wiht "AMA" or "LINK", transcode them and edit in 1080p at low resolution and, at the end, relink to native files.

And there it is my problem: I can't relink after the trancode for work in low resolution.

Before start the editing I make some trials on AVID. I tried with "RELINK" and with "BATCH RE-IMPORT" but Avid say to me: "You cannot import this MXF file into a bin. Use appropriate AMA Plug-in to AMA link it or see the documentation..."

So: somebody can explain me how I can manage this workflow?
    Thanks, 

iMac 27 Early 2013 Intel Core Processor 3,4 Ghz i7 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB OS X 10.8.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 6 2016 1:36 PM In reply to

Re: Workflow Avid with 4k XAVC

Batch Re-import only works if you used the "import" method.  You didn't (and shouldn't!) use import in this case, so that's not relevant here.

"RELINK" is what you want.

CLOSE the bin that has your transcoded media.  OPEN the bin that has your linked media.  SELECT all your linked clips.

Right-click (Ctrl+click) your SEQUENCE, use "RELINK," then the "Selected items in ALL open bins" option.

Your sequence should relink to your linked clips.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 6 2016 9:39 PM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 575
    • Points 6,805

This is the workflow you need to use. It appears a lot more complex than it really is because every step is laid out in detail, but we now use this as our standard workflow for everything and it's 100% reliable if you follow the steps. It's just adding two columns of metadata immediately after you AMA Link and your will have no issues geting your cut into Resolve and back out again in 4K with a few clicks of the mouse.

http://www.avidblogs.com/how-to-roundtrip-davinci-resolve-to-avid-media-composer-tutorial/

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 6 2016 9:52 PM In reply to

Thanks  usatraveler

I try as you sayd and it works!

Thanks you!

Oze thank you for your link. I want to ask you a question: the way of  usatraveler working.

Your way is only another one or is better? Thanks!

iMac 27 Early 2013 Intel Core Processor 3,4 Ghz i7 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB OS X 10.8.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 6 2016 10:23 PM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 575
    • Points 6,805

What USAtraveller says is correct and a part of the process. The worklow that Scott Freeman describes is a complete A-Z from iingest to final reconform of graded high-res or 4K material.

It's important to understand that "Linking" & "Importing" are two different things. They are not the same. Importing is now more of a legacy procedure and AMA linking is the prefered method to ingest footage. Because the AMA plugins are actually created and updated by the camera manufacturers, they are able to collect all the available metadata that modern media contains and run it through the post pipeline.

I have been using this workflow for the past 12 months and it has been fantastic. It has saved me many, many hours and given us the confidence to manage our media in much more efficient ways.

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 6 2016 11:08 PM In reply to

Thanks Oze, I'm agree with you and I know the difference beetwen "Linking" & "Importing".

I usually use AMA (so I LINK) for small works, when I don't need to transcode the "big" files.

But in this new work I have 5TB of 4K files to edit and it's not possibile manage them whit a Mac of 2013.

So I need to transcode, edit and then relink to native files for DAVINCI.

But In your tutorial I didn't read any "step" about the transcode moment.

Look like it isn't necessary. Maybe with a MAC PRO you can edit in AMA directly.

But not in my situation...

Infact: if in the way of usatraveler works, why I need to do others step in your tutorial?

Moreover the tutorial explains to relink in AVID after the color correction on DAVINCI.

Is it this the correct way to work?

Because I thought to relink before the color directly on AVID, color the footages, and after export to the final file from DAVINCI. Isn't it correct?

• Fri, Oct 7 2016 5:04 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Emanuele Caruso:

Infact: if in the way of usatraveler works, why I need to do others step in your tutorial?

Moreover the tutorial explains to relink in AVID after the color correction on DAVINCI.

Is it this the correct way to work?

Because I thought to relink before the color directly on AVID, color the footages, and after export to the final file from DAVINCI. Isn't it correct?

You can work whichever way suits you - there is no right or wrong. A lot of editors prefer to finish in Avid because it offers the potential to make small changes without a lot of additional work.

The point of the method Scott uses is that it is bulletproof. It works for every situation and every kind of media (with timecode). But if you have found another workflow works for you and it is less steps then it comes down to your preference.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller