Latest post Mon, Oct 3 2016 2:40 PM by Atomike. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Sep 17 2016 7:25 PM

• jcrist1027
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 17 2016
    • Posts 1
    • Points 45

Is There No Longer a Free Version for Video Editing?

On this page;

http://www.avid.com/solutions/video-editing/for-home-studios

It states "Edit video using a free version of the software used by Oscar- and Emmy-winning editors"

However the only product listed is ProTools which is an audio editor. 

Did they discontinue this "free" product and just were too lazy to update the rest of the wording on the page or am I missing something?

• Tue, Sep 20 2016 4:16 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,779
    • Points 48,295
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Is There No Longer a Free Version for Video Editing?

The wording is premature. Avid is developing a free version of Media Composer called Media Compiser First, but it seems to have been heavily delayed. As far as I know it's still planned for release, but don't bother asking when.

See the MC First forum HERE for more information (if and when).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Sep 21 2016 1:32 AM In reply to

• vpcmike
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 1,669
    • Points 20,140

It is absolutely a proven fact that Avid Marketing is on an island, and does whatever they want to do or announce, making the job much harder than it should be for Avid's employees and customers.  If you hear it from Marianne, it is the gospel.  If you hear it from Marketing, it is fiction.

System #1 - Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93, 24 GB RAM, 16 TB ISIS 5000 System #2 - Core i7 2600k, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000 System #3 - Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 21 2016 12:30 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

vpcmike:
     If you hear it from Marianne, it is the gospel.  If you hear it from Marketing, it is fiction.

I tend to agree.  My personal feeling is that the creation of the Media Composer First forum doomed it to non-existence. 

Prove me wrong.

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 21 2016 2:34 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 2,293
    • Points 25,295
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

jcrist1027:

On this page;

http://www.avid.com/solutions/video-editing/for-home-studios

It states "Edit video using a free version of the software used by Oscar- and Emmy-winning editors"

However the only product listed is ProTools which is an audio editor. 

Did they discontinue this "free" product and just were too lazy to update the rest of the wording on the page or am I missing something?

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}

We delayed development for a bit and we’ve once again picked up engineering the Media Composer First product, look for news in the coming months for more information.

Regards,

Ralph

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 21 2016 9:17 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 748
    • Points 11,365

Personally, I think if you want free, you're FAR better off looking at either Lightworks or DaVinci Resolve. They will likely have all the features you need, and there is very little chance that the management overseeing either product will suddenly pull the rug out from under either one. Avid has a very poor track record with its free products. 

They made a crippled version of Avid called AvidFreeDV, maybe 10 years ago, and it was not terrible. But then, one night, they dropped all support for it, and seemingly wished it never existed.  Now, they suddenly think a free version is a great idea.  

If given the opportunity, I would bet cash that this new free Avid product will not be around in 5 years. Look at the priority level for this product, and I think that tells you all you need to know.

Personally, I would rather Avid spend its programming resources adding often-requested features to its existing NLE and not waste these resources creating a new editor with even fewer features. 

I'd love to have heard what logical reasoning brought about this seemingly backwards move.

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Thu, Sep 22 2016 12:24 AM In reply to

• Tiger_XP
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 2 2007
    • California
    • Posts 465
    • Points 5,130

Atomike:
    They made a crippled version of Avid called AvidFreeDV, maybe 10 years ago....

I remember AvidFreeDV very well. It was discontinued 9-1-2007. I was using Premiere and was looking for video editing trials for comparison. At the time (2003-2004) AvidfreeDV seemed to be the only "free" choice. Long story short is I turned these in for AvidFreeDV. Anyone switching to Premiere send me a PM and I will give you a great deal on the disks! Big Smile

MacPro 2008 3.1 | 34GB Ram | Quadro 4000 980ti 960| MC 8.10 | OS 10.6.8 10.13.6 | MOTU HDX-SDI | ATTO R644| LaCie 324 [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Sep 25 2016 11:49 AM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,259
    • Points 30,520

Atomike:
    I'd love to have heard what logical reasoning brought about this seemingly backwards move

I think the idea is to get folks used to the Avid interface early so the transition is easier when stepping up to the paid subscription version of MC.  This can be seen as a strategic move, versus the tactical moves of adding features to current MC versions.  They need to be sure, however, that this free version does not negatively affect sales on the subscrition side.  So, how do you "handicap" an introductory product so as not to affect sales, yet put enough features in there to get folks to download it and use it?  Not easy for a company that is fighting to hold market share.  MHO only.

BMD and Apple do this with there products.  iMovie is very similar to FCPX and is free on every new Mac computer.  You can actually "promote" your iMovie project into FCPX with one click of the mouse.  Resolve is even a better deal as you don't have to buy a computer to get it.

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Sun, Sep 25 2016 1:36 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,375
    • Points 54,035

I wonder who internally rides herd on this? "Delayed a bit"?? 

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 20.10. Win 20H2  Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 17/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Mon, Sep 26 2016 9:06 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 748
    • Points 11,365

switthaus:

I think the idea is to get folks used to the Avid interface early so the transition is easier when stepping up to the paid subscription version of MC.  

I agree this is what they THINK will happen. It worked SO well last time. Big Smile However, unless a free version of MC is more feature-rich than either Lightworks or Resolve, it is a comletely wasted effort. A crippled version of MC vs. two products that are nearly as good as a paid NLE.  Hmmmm.

On a related note, I was visiting my old college last week (where I learned MC), and discovered they basically get the Adobe suite free for their students. They have exactly zero Avid seats today.

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Sep 27 2016 2:50 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,779
    • Points 48,295
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Atomike:
    A crippled version of MC vs. two products that are nearly as good as a paid NLE.  Hmmmm.
    just remember that Lightworks free edition can't export to anything except youtube or vimeo, and can only export HD to vimeo (not youtube). There's no 4K export at all for the free version.

Now Resolve on the other hand...

I doubt that MC First will be as fully featured as Resolve. To do that, you pretty much need to be running MC. Exactly what the capabilities are for MC First is still unknown.

BTW, for what it's worth, I own both Resolve Studio (the paid version) and Lightworks Pro (the paid version), and I predominantly edit on MC.

Both Adobe and Apple heavily invest in the educational market, either with very low cost or free versions of their software. And for good reason. Get them hooked on a Mac (because the school requires it) and it's hard to get rid of the investment in hardware and software once you're out of school. The same goes for Adobe. My daughter is an artist and in school. She gets Photoshop and Lightroom for $10/month. That's a hard deal to beat.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Tue, Sep 27 2016 10:32 AM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,660

switthaus:

Resolve is even a better deal as you don't have to buy a computer to get it.

But of limited utility without one.  ;)

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 27 2016 4:51 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,259
    • Points 30,520

Atomike:
    I was visiting my old college last week (where I learned MC), and discovered they basically get the Adobe suite free for their students.

Adobe actually reached out to our university and is hosting myself and a colleague at Adobe Max and EduMax the first week in November (along with many others from academia, I assume).  Investigating site licenses like we have with Lynda.com.  Who is pushing initiatives like this at Avid?

I have never been a huge fan of Premiere, love AE and use PS for little things, but this latest release of CC is making me adjust my thinking a bit on Pr.  FCPX is still my go-to, but at least I won't loathe working on Premiere now.  No Avid suites around anymore, at least to rent 4-wall...incredibly sad thing to observe.

Atomike:
    They have exactly zero Avid seats today.

As painful as it is to say, I can see the logic in that decision.  It feels like Premier and FCPX have the momentum and opportunities for young editors.  MHOO.

sw

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Tue, Sep 27 2016 5:35 PM In reply to

Hi,

I'll try to summarize in this post commenting on a few of the issues discussed here. 

Yes, we are developing Media Composer First, yes it was delayed but engineering is working on the product now.  It was delayed because we implemented an end to end workflow for Panasonic Long G.  We were getting many, many requests for support for this codec and we went off and implemented it.  

Now, you may think, who cares about this Long G for EDU? Well, the answer is you probably do.  We did a lot of performance enhancements with codec caching that will improve performance. We can't have students struggling with bad playback for media.  Additionally, in the releases for LongG we also implemented some of the features that will help with Media Composer First, including menu simplification and source browser.  These are very key elements to make Media Composer easier to use for our existing and new First customers.  There are more items you will see in coming Media Composer versions around simplification of the product.  

Of course, we want to ship the First as soon as possible.  But, we also want to make sure the choices we made for features will be useful to create real programs.  With that, we are working with EDU clients to get it right.  We know the business, we know what other people are doing in this area and we want to get it right.  Media Composer is the gold standard for editing and we want to make sure we continue this with Media Composer First.

For freemium, We also have a lot of experience in this area with Pro Tools First and that has been crazy successful.  100's of thousands of downloads on PT First and we expect the same on Media Composer.  It's unfair to say Avid is not in college's and universities.  We already have a  large presence in EDU.  Maybe you are not seeing it. Even with that,  we have a very large initiative at Avid to make more inroads into EDU for students and college's and universities. Louis's is directly involved in this program as his passion is around education and students.  We are not sitting idle, there is a lot going on at Avid, I didn't even mention Sibelius, iNews and news workflows with Interplay, consoles, Pro Tools in EDU.  We have large installations of these products today.  Look for Media Composer First soon! Thanks for listening!

Dave

• Thu, Sep 29 2016 5:19 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 748
    • Points 11,365

Dave Avid PM:

We know the business, we know what other people are doing in this area and we want to get it right.  

It's unfair to say Avid is not in college's and universities.  We already have a  large presence in EDU.  Maybe you are not seeing it. Even with that,  we have a very large initiative at Avid to make more inroads into EDU for students and college's and universities. Louis's is directly involved in this program as his passion is around education and students.  

I really appreciate this response. However, it's fundamentally, from its very foundations, doomed to failure, and a 100% waste of Avid's time, resources, and man-hours.

Adobe is getting their FULL, complete, same-as-professional suite out there for students to use. If you graduated yeserday from Adobe U, you have zero learning-curve as you start working as an editor. I realise its hard to know or tell how many universities are using Adobe vs. MC, but this is not even a close competition anymore. I'm glad Louis cares about eduction and students. Caring and winning are vastly different. Everyone with a history in this industry would tell him that the priority really should have been keeping MC a bleeding-edge editor that is far ahead of the pack.

That's what students and universities want to use.  A free version of Avid that's worse that MC can ONLY be successful with hobbyists. That's its only market. If you made MC the best editing tool on the market, and then gave it away to universities, then you have a way to appeal to students.  The current approach is 100% not a well-thought-out strategy. I really hope that some day Avid will hire some leadership who has worked in the industry.

How about if we could have menus that are readable on a 4K screen before we start thinking about ruling Universities? Maybe answer that question first. Have a good talk about it. Tell us why that's a crazy thought. If Louis really wants help with this, I've said before I would take his call. This can maybe be fixed, but the situation at Avid is nearly broken - given its current trajectory. 

Avid is a working very hard right now to become ONLY a media-sharing/store company, and that makes me quite sad.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller