Latest post Sun, Aug 28 2016 8:38 AM by Bruno M. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 27 2016 12:04 AM

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 28 2008
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

Avid Adrenaline HD Firewire

OKay so this is odd. Ive had my Adrenaline HD hooked up for a while with no issues. I decided to relocate the PC so I could make room for other gear....unfortunately, it was a little dim and I plugged my firewire cable in backwards. So as you can imagine the Adrenaline power light stayed orange. When I discovered what I did, it corrected it, however the PC will no longer connect via firewire to the device. SO far I have done the following:

1. Tried a different cable
    2. Connected to a different PC
    3. Changed Firewire driver to legacy

Nothing seems to correct it. In its day, this was a $30,000 device and it seems hard to believe such an error would destroy the Adrenaline firewire....though even modern devices (Saffire DSP 24) can be affected by things like this.

Anyone seen this before or experience this?

Thanks so much

Pro Tools 12.5, Avid Media Composer Adrenaline HD 5.7, Studio Toolkit 5.7 [view my complete system specs]

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

Filed under:
  • Sat, Aug 27 2016 12:52 AM In reply to

Re: Avid Adrenaline HD Firewire

Might be time to look for another cheap Adrenaline on eBay. Your  HD card MAY still be good and able to be transplanted into a different unit.

erwabo:
    it seems hard to beleive such an error would destroy the Adrenaline firewire
    As far as I know the 6 pin connector carries power on a couple of pins so you will have fed power to circuits are not designed for it.  From vague memories wrongly connected firewire devices had a rep for frying sub sytem boards in Macs.

Adrenalines were very picky about the Firewire card installed (Needed to be a Texas Instuments card?). This makes it possible that the second PC does not have a Firewire card that will work with the Adrenaline even with the legacy driver. (And obviously that the firewire connection in the original machine could now be faulty)

• Sat, Aug 27 2016 3:32 AM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

Yeah this wasnt a TI card....this was actually the firewire port on a Creative Labs sound card...haha, but it worked perfectly since day one, never had an issue with it. I may try a different firewire card, but at this point you are probably correct in saying the voltage going down the wrong pin probably screwed up the internal FW on the Adrenaline. Luckily, they are pretty cheap on ebay and hopefully like you said, my HD card still works...which I would think it should. I received no POST errors on either of the 3 cards, but it may not show an error if the firewire port itself is bad.

Pro Tools 12.5, Avid Media Composer Adrenaline HD 5.7, Studio Toolkit 5.7 [view my complete system specs]

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Sat, Aug 27 2016 9:33 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 605
    • Points 7,625

I didn't realise you could plug these firewire cables in the wrong way around.

Isn't the 6 pin connector bevelled at one end to stop this from happening?

Bruno

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 27 2016 11:14 AM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

Yeah, they are...which was why iit was kinda hard to push in. The port casing was on the FW card wasnt very strong and it easily seperated enought to push it on incorrectly. Just a total brain freeze that night, BUt yeah that should have stopped it from happening =)

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Sat, Aug 27 2016 11:58 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 605
    • Points 7,625

erwabo:
    Yeah, they are...which was why iit was kinda hard to push in.

LOL! Reminds me of the days of SCSI when we were rushing to install an Avid suite with a load of rs36 drives. It wasn't uncommon to bend a few pins on the SCSI connectors if you weren't being really careful. I used to have a miner's lamp and a pair of thin-nosed pliers to carefully un-bend the pins and pray that non of them broke off!

Bruno

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 27 2016 1:23 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 502
    • Points 6,000

yes, you can kill a firewire device like that.

power to the wrong pins like mentioned above.

on the plus side: replacing this adrenaline system will not set you back 30 large.

i recommend used nitris dx from ebay for about a grand.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 28 2016 1:07 AM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

Yeah not sure if use this system enought to move up to a nitrix DX. I saw ebay had some old Nitris HDs too, but not sure what the advantage is of a Nitris HD over the Adernaline...other than there is no firewire to destroy =) And finding the cards for it isnt always easy

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Sun, Aug 28 2016 8:38 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 605
    • Points 7,625

erwabo:
    not sure what the advantage is of a Nitris HD over the Adernaline

Up to about six months ago I was using a classic Nitris system to output programs to tape and it was one of the most stable systems I've ever worked on. It's been a while since I used an Arenaline system and I'm racking my brain trying to remember all the differences, but here goes...

1) The Nitris works with Symphony (pre v6), whereas Adrenaline only works with MC (again, pre v6)

2) The ability to work in Symphony means you get the full CC tools.

3) The Nitris was always rock solid, whereas the Adrenaline firewire connection occasionally got lost.

4) I seem to remember that with Adrenaline, you only got realtime effects when in medium (yellow/green) resolution. If you switched to full rez, all the effects went 'blue dot' and needed rendering. This meant that when you wanted to output your project in full rez, there was a lot more rendering to do. In a Nitris system, you're always in full rez (green) mode and the yellow/green or full yellow options aren't available.

5) Although I never used this feature, I believe there's a 10 bit mode in Symphony Nitris if you meet certain conditions, such as the file format imported and the DNXHD resolution/colour space selected. The Adrenaline was only 8 bit.

6) As mentioned, the Nitris system needed the two extra cards (Baseboard and codec) installed in specific slots on an HP8400 workstation to guarantee correct performance, so I don't think you could just put them into any desktop and get it to work. The cards got quite hot and required the extra cooling fans that Avid supplied specifically for the HP workstation.

Bruno

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller