Latest post Thu, Aug 25 2016 2:15 PM by Kenton.VanNatten. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 24 2016 12:59 PM

Digital Storgae

I am looking to have about 1500 DVCAM tapes stored digital. Each tape is about 1.5 hours. I am wondering what is the best way to store these and have it that we can edit anytime from the netowrk. We would also like to have ability to add key wors in a search to find what is on each tape.  Any suggestions to get me started would help

Scott

• Thu, Aug 25 2016 2:15 PM In reply to

Re: Digital Storgae

One of my clients went through the process of digitizing their entire pre-2008/SD library a few years ago. I think what they settled on was having a wmv file (for quick access/reference) and then a 720x486 QT file with H264 codec. The files are stored on the company's IT server (which is offsite) and each was given a unique library number. A producer can look through the FileMaker database to find the clip(s) based on keywords, download the wmv file to make sure it's what they want and then download the full QT file for the editor to use.

You could probably come up with a better solution for the codecs and how/where to store them now that there are loads of excellent cloud storage possibilities. That particular client went with their own IT server for security reasons vs. ease of access.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller