Latest post Wed, Aug 17 2016 8:49 PM by Dale Gagne. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 10 2016 8:54 PM

UPDATE: Attached video - Playback Error - Exception: AFIFO_TAKE_UNDERRUN, CtrlBiFifo: Auto LFE 12

UPDATE: I'm attaching a video to this post displaying our problem. See below for original explanation.

VIDEO: http://sendvid.com/lf3pe798

Hello,

We've just recently upgraded to Avid 8.6.1, and one of our editors is having a continuous problem with one of his timelines.

There's several sections, usually ones with audio dissolves, that stop playback and give the following error code. This is the most recent one we've received:

Exception: AFIFO_TAKE_UNDERRUN, CtrlBiFifo:Auto LFE 12

I have a screenshot of the error code received yesteday on one and a screenshot of the full timeline to show that it's occurring mainly over audio dissolves.

We were able to fix the problem temporarily yesterday by rebooting his whole system. But today, that didn't work. Another support forum post suggested rendering all audio. However, when we tried to do that, it said there were no effects to render despite that not being the case.

Any suggestions or solutions?

-- Kaitlin Larson

• Wed, Aug 10 2016 10:23 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 9 2006
    • New York / Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 756
    • Points 8,925

Re: Playback Error - Exception: AFIFO_TAKE_UNDERRUN, CtrlBiFifo: Auto LFE 12

@Avid AE MW:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/137776/812758.aspx#812758

Haven't seen your system specs, but if you have an I/O box attached, try disabling it.

Also, what version of OS X are you using?

Mid-2010 Mac Pro • 2018 MacBook Pro [view my complete system specs]

isaact.co | Twitter | Instagram | Vimeo

Writer: The Frame.io WORKFLOW Guide - http://workflow.frame.io/

Post Workflow Consultant - https://isaact.co/

• Thu, Aug 11 2016 8:26 PM In reply to

What sort of additional system specs do you need? First time forum poster, not sure what to include.

We're running on OS X version 10.9.5. And we do not have an I/O box attached to the computer in question.

• Thu, Aug 11 2016 9:19 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 9 2006
    • New York / Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 756
    • Points 8,925

@Avid AE MW: like Mondo said in that other thread, 10.9.5 is also a contributing factor.

Ask IT if they'll clone your boot drive to another, then upgrade to Yosemite (10.10.5). Don't do El Capitán (10.11.x). If it continues under 10.10.5, you can always roll back to 10.9.5.

Report back.

Mid-2010 Mac Pro • 2018 MacBook Pro [view my complete system specs]

isaact.co | Twitter | Instagram | Vimeo

Writer: The Frame.io WORKFLOW Guide - http://workflow.frame.io/

Post Workflow Consultant - https://isaact.co/

• Fri, Aug 12 2016 12:01 AM In reply to

@Isaquit0: I'll look into that.

But we weren't experiencing this issue with 8.5 combined with 10.9.5 before... seems odd that it's happening now with 8.6.1.

• Fri, Aug 12 2016 12:45 AM In reply to

UPDATE:

Something we learned today - just to provide as much info as possible - this error only occurs when a clip is using keyframes and a dissolve at the same time. If the clip has keyframes, it works. If the clip has dissolves, it works. But if it has both, doesn't work.

Also, this problem is localized to one computer. Tested the same sequence on several other computers all running OSX 10.9.5 and did not run into the same problem. One additional computer was having issues yesterday, but I reinstalled some Avid files from the initial installation, and now it works fine.

• Fri, Aug 12 2016 2:57 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 2,010
    • Points 22,235
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Avid AE MW:
    this problem is localized to one computer. Tested the same sequence on several other computers all running OSX 10.9.5 and did not run into the same problem. One additional computer was having issues yesterday, but I reinstalled some Avid files from the initial installation, and now it works fine.

Have you tried doing the same to the affected computer? 

Regards,

Ralph

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 16 2016 5:04 PM In reply to

RalphC:

Avid AE MW:
    this problem is localized to one computer. Tested the same sequence on several other computers all running OSX 10.9.5 and did not run into the same problem. One additional computer was having issues yesterday, but I reinstalled some Avid files from the initial installation, and now it works fine.

Have you tried doing the same to the affected computer? 

Regards,

Ralph

Yes, we re-installed files on the affected computer. Seemed to work momentarily, but then it happened more on other edit points - including the original problem point.

• Tue, Aug 16 2016 11:30 PM In reply to

Currently, the problem appears to be fixed. I honestly don't know how... we duplicated some sequences and then our IT manager did some work on the computer. I was out of the office, so I don't know exactly what that work was, but if I get a chance to ask him I will. He may have just reinstalled the program and its files.

When talking with support, they asked if we had upgraded to 8.6 but the timeline was made in 8.5. This was indeed the case. Haven't heard back yet if they think that was the cause of the error - just putting it out there as extra info.

So I guess I would call this solved? Although not really, because we don't know HOW exactly it was fixed. It just hasn't happened yet today.

Thank you everyone for your help!

• Wed, Aug 17 2016 8:49 PM In reply to

• Dale Gagne
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 24 2011
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 142
    • Points 1,550

quick quess is that you might have had a corrupt precompute/render. Moving to a new machine did you re-render effects. Could explain why it suddenly is working again. When effects are the issue it is always good to try removing the rendered data and re-render.

Avid MC 2018.12.3, Avid Mojo DX, Mac Pro, Mid 2012, 2x2.4 ghz 6 CORE Intel Xeon, 64GB Ram, SSD Startup, 10.14.0, Radeon RX 580 8g, 9TB Internal Storage... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller