Latest post Thu, Aug 4 2016 10:31 AM by Mondo. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 4 2016 1:34 AM

• Drew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 12 2016
    • Fort Lauderdale, FL
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Preparing RED (R3D) AMA for Color - Need Round Trip Advice

New to the Red / Avid workflow. So please pardon if I am missing something that should be obvious.

I have finished cutting a feature (Wooohooo!) and am trying to prepare it to pass off for coloring at a lab with Resolve (nervous). The source material is about 15TB of 5K R3D (dear god). Which I had AMA linked and transcoded to my local media raid. After picture lock (wooohooo) I hid the transcoded media, re-mounted the source drives and sucessfully relinked to the raw (relieved). I tried to export an AAF and consolidate only the used footage but have been running into some snags (confused). It doesn't seem to understand that R3D files are sometimes more than one file if the clip is long. If the camera hits 4gb its starts an new "file". The Avid seems to have no problem collecting the first file associated with a clip, but doesn't grab the other(s). (head on desk)

I can't seem to find an answer... Other than old posts from 2005 that say Avid can't consolidate RED files. Which I desparately hope is not still the case. The drives that the source footage are on can't perform well enough to efficiently work from and the lab isn't interested in ingesting and storing 15TB of our footage (since they are doing the color at a very discounted rate). 

Looking for the path of least resistance. Anyone have some advice?

MC 8.5 running on... MAC 5,1 12 core 2.9ghz, OSX Yosemite on 1TB SSD System, 1TB SSD Cache, HD7950 Graphics Card, BlackMagic Decklink 4K SDI, 8TB G-Speed... [view my complete system specs]

- I used to be easy going. Now I am just easy.

Filed under: , , , , ,
  • Thu, Aug 4 2016 10:31 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,620

Re: Preparing RED (R3D) AMA for Color - Need Round Trip Advice

You could try just consolidating your sequence to a new drive and then do an AAF that just links to that media.

That way you at least establish if the problem is actually consolidation. Also if you are using liked media make sure you tick the use AAF edit protocol for Resolve. That could also be your problem.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller