Latest post Fri, Sep 9 2016 5:24 PM by Atomike. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 2 2016 10:49 AM

Make Quick Transition-Position sensitive to Cut-Selection

Hi,

I request the following:

you have selected a cut in your timeline.

there are three possible versions: left-facing selection, center-facing selection and right-facing selection.

if you now  hit the Quick-Transition command, there ist always the last used position argument (Ending/Centered/Starting at Cut).

Can you add the feature that what is suggested in the position dialog is sensitive to how you have selected the cut in the timeline? resulting in the following connections:

left-facing selection ---> Ending at Cut

center-facing selection ---> Centered at Cut

right-facing selection ---> Starting at Cut

Thank you

best wishes

aw

Filed under: ,
  • Thu, Aug 25 2016 3:07 PM In reply to

Re: Make Quick Transition-Position sensitive to Cut-Selection

I don't quite get what you mean.

If I park near a cut and hit the Quick Transition button it pulls up the dialogue box where I can select Starting/Centered/Ending. How are you selecting the cut with Left/Center/Right?

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Sep 1 2016 6:43 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,737
    • Points 67,310

That might sort of work if parking the blue bar on the last frame of the outgoing clip for an ending at cut transition, or parking the blue bar on the first frame of the incoming clip for a starting at cut transition, but I do not really get how to deal with centered on cut transitions; moreover, since going from cut to cut with the arrow keys parks the blue bar on the first frame of the incoming clip, selecting an ending at cut transition would require two steps: going to the cut and going back one frame. If it was me I'd simply pull away the confusing starting and ending at cut options, which are solely shortcuts to delay or anticipate a little the transition, and I'd stick to centered only.

Symphony 20.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Sep 1 2016 3:13 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 748
    • Points 11,365

Transitions should always be centered on cut unless there is a very good reason otherwise. This is something that Premiere gets horribily, horribly wrong. If you want to see the worst possible implementation of transitions, Premiere has done it. Your workflow will be much faster, more consistent, cleaner, and easier to change and tweak if you simply get used to the idea that all clips should have their transitions centered. Transitions using "Starting at Cut" or "Ending at Cut" should only be used in extreme situations (experimenting with a clip which has a lack of media at one end or ther other). Disclaimer - all this is reliant on me understanding your original message, which was not overly clear.

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Fri, Sep 2 2016 2:40 PM In reply to

I think the Quick Dissolve button should reveal an unrendered dissolve with a change in Start-Center-Ending-None as simple as pressing an up/down arrow. As well as a Cycle/Toggle icon within the QD GUI.

User prefs can make the default frame # user-definable, including last used, last used plus or minus one, and other smart options based on various user ( Beginner or Advanced) needs.

I do like the easily-swiped graphic GUI and I wish a double-click could immediately render (audio track dissolves) and immediately do a play-loop without departing Quick Dissolve and with the option to advance forward to the next potential transition on same track. 

Getting rid of audio clicks should be done automatically, as an option. But not interfere with existing dissolve fx.

Basically, I want a smarter, less tedious way to tweak /finalize the MC version of audio edits.

even if it means a separate tool for audio quick dissolves vs. video quick dissolves/transitions.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 2 2016 2:56 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,259
    • Points 30,520

Atomike:
    Transitions should always be centered on cut unless there is a very good reason otherwise.

Can you further explain your point here?

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Fri, Sep 2 2016 3:16 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 748
    • Points 11,365

switthaus:

Can you further explain your point here?

Sure. Any time you have a clip, you often have other clips on top of it with the same length (or that begin or end at the same frame as the lower clip). If you always center your transitions, it's a simple matter to roll the ends of all the clips together for tweaking by a few frames. If your transitions are a mixture of centered, and not centered, you simply have a visual mess; and making any adjustments to these clips together will take 10 times the mental (and temporal) effort. You can do it, but it's visually inconsistent with nicely-line-up edits, and you need to preview to be sure the ripple or roll is what you wanted.

Any time you have a video clip and any sort of graphic, or adjustment layer, or matte on the layers above, you need to keep your transitions frame-consistent. And literally the only way to do this with any immediately visual certainty without previewing is to always center cut your transitions. Basically, it lets you group-ripple and group-roll without even thinking about it. 

Do I break this rule? Sure. If I'm in a terrible hurry and will never tweak frames.

But, for example, in Premiere, which treats audio vastly different than video transitions, your clips and transitions do not relate 1:1 at all during the transition -  which requires far more time to edit groups of clips together. It's one of the reasons I believe long-time old-school editors hate using Premiere. Speed it king, and Premiere is (by far) the slowest of all NLEs on the market for frame tweaking (although it would be easily fixed if they wanted).

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, Sep 2 2016 3:24 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,259
    • Points 30,520

Atomike:
    Speed it king

Perhaps.  But I think flexibility is right up there.  Trust me, I am no Premiere fan and have converted over to FCPX (I do spot work and short format work on X).  But when I do have to use PP, I kind of like the idea that I can grab the dissolve, lets say, and position it anywhere I want around the transition.  Now, if I had multiple clips above and below, I can see your point.  But I try to keep my timelines as clean and simple as possible.  But, it's one of those things that becomes personal preference.

Scott Witthaus

• Fri, Sep 2 2016 3:30 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,259
    • Points 30,520

Atomike:
    Speed it king

And on that note, X is the fastest NLE software I have used in my career to date.  Blazing.

Scott Witthaus

• Fri, Sep 9 2016 5:24 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 748
    • Points 11,365

switthaus:

Atomike:
    Speed it king

And on that note, X is the fastest NLE software I have used in my career to date.  Blazing.

I have no experience with X, however it seems that I was wrong. Accuracy is king. Speed without accuracy made me look like a doofus - mis-spelling "is".  Smile 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller