Latest post Fri, Feb 14 2020 11:58 AM by Martin Fox. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 13 2016 2:40 PM

Audio plug-ins ?

Hi,

I am editing a beach scene with lots of noise, and coupled with many scenes in rooms with hums, etc., I've been looking into ways of handling the "dark art" within MC.  It seems that Izotope RX Plug-in pack is worth the 10-day trial, so here goes.  However, there are some questions a novice like me needs advice on. 

Referring to the screengrab below:

i) I've managed to drop the 4 contained plug-ins (DeClip, DeClick, DeHum and DeNoise Dialogue) separately onto the audio mixer slots (what are these called exactly?).  Out of interest, how to remove?

ii) While I know how to use the Audio Suite to drop the required effect onto a clip, out of interest how to do this from the little icons on the timeline?

iii) The audio clip on the timeline has previously been adjusted for clip gain by myself.  Is this the correct workflow - ie., MC's own clip gain before then using the plug-in?

iv) Actually using the 4 plug-ins, has anyone any solid advice regarding what's best to use when, order of workflow here, etc.?  Further, can audio effects be nested, and how?

v) Anything else I may have overlooked?

Thank you,

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 14 2016 1:11 PM In reply to

Re: Audio plug-ins ?

Anyone,  please ?

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 14 2016 2:38 PM In reply to

• cuervo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 2 2008
    • Santa Fe, NM
    • Posts 1,174
    • Points 15,605

those izotope plugins are named in a pretty self explanatory way. declick for random clicks and pops, dehum for things like 60 Hz hum, denoise for white noise type, declip for over modulated audio recording. It's important to get a suitable noise profile before filtering, then adjust to taste.

SYS1:ASUS Z97, Haswell 4.0GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, Quadro 4200 + GTX1070, Thunderbolt II -DNxIO-FSI CM171 ///SYS2:ASUS Maximus Extreme V, Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

M-Power Independent Video and Film Services, Sony PMW-F5--Sony FS700U--Canon 7d--Odyssey 7Q

• Fri, Jul 15 2016 7:28 AM In reply to

Thank you.  When you say suitable noise profiling, is that a technical thing or something judged on experience?

• Fri, Feb 14 2020 10:51 AM In reply to

• Susi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London, UK
    • Posts 583
    • Points 6,700

Anything more recent to de-click an unrepeatable audio track?

Thanks for any tips

Media Composer 2018.9.0 on 13" early-2015 Macbook Pro (OSX10.13.6) 3.1GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1867 MHz DDR3 Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB Gizmos... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 14 2020 11:58 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 261
    • Points 2,770

I have been using RX 6 denoise a lot lately, though I can’t say it’s easy!

I find it is easy to bite too much noise off which leaves the sound too mangled, My current workflow is two passes at noise reduction, one as audio suite on a clip by clip basis and then a really gentle one at the track level. Overall gentle seems best, bring the threshold and amount down, so it doesn’t bite too hard into the sound, (generally on auto unless the noise is very consistent, if it is consistent taking a sample of the noise between words does work)

To remove a track plugin! Click on its name in the mixer, the tool window opens, there is a dropdown menu and choose “no insert”

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller