Latest post Sun, May 7 2017 6:22 PM by Isaac T.. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 5 2016 2:01 PM

MC 8.6: 'initialize AVX2 host' than crash

this is the second day I'm trying to start MC 8.6 to get him past the 'initialize AVX2 host', installing deinstalling MC over and over again deinstalling a buch of apps deinstalling the blackmagic desktop

I don't know anything I can do now what caused this , I should be realy thankfull if someone can help me

Core   

mac pro 3.5 GHz 6 - Core intel xeon E5, 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD FirePro D500 32GB ram 2x addonics eSATA raid tower 3 thunderbold-LaCie eSATA Hub ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 5 2016 2:25 PM In reply to

• Kevin Smith
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 21 2011
    • London
    • Posts 60
    • Points 905

Re: MC 8.6: 'initialize AVX2 host' than crash

Hi

It looks like there is a conflicting effect in your in your AVX2 folder. Try removing possible offending plugins from the AVX 2 folder in your hard drive library, applicaion support folder and the try staring Media Composer again.

Kevin

Media Composer 8.04 with Symphony option, MacBook Pro 15inch, 2.7 ghz Intel Core i7, Mac OS Yosemeti 10.10.3 16 GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 6 2016 4:38 PM In reply to

Thanks Kevin, that did the trick magic bullet looks was the evil one after updating that plugin all was well again

Core

mac pro 3.5 GHz 6 - Core intel xeon E5, 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD FirePro D500 32GB ram 2x addonics eSATA raid tower 3 thunderbold-LaCie eSATA Hub ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 28 2017 7:06 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,635

Ok - it must be my week for Avid weirdness. Just upgraded to Sierra (first mistake!). Completely uniinstalled Avid first then re-installed 8.8.1 in Sierra. Now its crashing on AVX2 Host on every boot. OK - simple right - just look in the AVX2_Plug-ins folder and start fault testing. 

Problem - folder not there! So I thought "OK Avid have moved it from the suppporting files folder"... search on Mac for AVX. I get plenty of hits including an actual Neat Video AVX folder but no AXX plug ins folder of any description..

I moved the Neat Video folder to the desktop just in case but that did not solve the issue. I also cannot log into Application Manager - it refuses to let me type into the user and password box (separate issue?)

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Tue, Mar 28 2017 2:12 PM In reply to

AFAIK, the AVX plugin folder hasn't moved. And there should be SOME plugins there installed by Avid.

I would try an uninstall / reinstall and see what happens.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Mar 28 2017 3:41 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,265
    • Points 231,895
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Kevin Klimek:

AFAIK, the AVX plugin folder hasn't moved. And there should be SOME plugins there installed by Avid.

I would try an uninstall / reinstall and see what happens.

As kevin said, the folder has not moved.  I agree that you should uninstall and reinstall..... 

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Mar 28 2017 9:07 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 9 2006
    • New York / Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 759
    • Points 8,960

@Mondo: to be clear, the exact paths to those folders are:

1. /Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Avid/AVX2_Plugins - user-installed plugins

2. /Applications/Avid Media Composer/AvidMediaComposer.app/Contents/SharedSupport/AVX2_Plugins - packaged plugins

(Note: right-click on the Avid Media Composer app, then select "Show Package Contents" to view.)

Recommendation: drag the .AVX files in folder option 1 to your Desktop, then relaunch MC. 

Mid-2010 Mac Pro • 2018 MacBook Pro [view my complete system specs]

isaact.co | Twitter | Instagram | Vimeo

Writer: The Frame.io WORKFLOW Guide - http://workflow.frame.io/

Post Workflow Consultant - https://isaact.co/

• Wed, Mar 29 2017 3:08 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,635

Isaquit0:

@Mondo: to be clear, the exact paths to those folders are:

1. /Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Avid/AVX2_Plugins - user-installed plugins

2. /Applications/Avid Media Composer/AvidMediaComposer.app/Contents/SharedSupport/AVX2_Plugins - packaged plugins

(Note: right-click on the Avid Media Composer app, then select "Show Package Contents" to view.)

Recommendation: drag the .AVX files in folder option 1 to your Desktop, then relaunch MC. 

Thanks  - didn't realise it was packaged which is why it didn't show up in a search. Turned out it was FilmConvertPro that was causing the crash. Will have to see if there is an updated version...

I am not sure why 1. did not show up in my search though? If it had would have saved me a post..

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Wed, Mar 29 2017 3:11 PM In reply to

Perhaps there's an issue with Spotlight on your system.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Mar 31 2017 3:51 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,635

Kevin Klimek:

Perhaps there's an issue with Spotlight on your system.

I agree it has to be something to do with my system... as I said the install folder for one of the individual plugins showed up but none of the actual plugins or the AVX2 folder.. - all on the MacHD so who knows.

Anyway turned out there were two plugins that needed upgrading - FilmConvertPro and Neat Video if that helps anyone else.

John

• Sat, Apr 1 2017 3:31 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 759
    • Points 8,960

@Kevin Klimek/Mondo: nope, not an issue with the system or Spotlight. Both of these paths are hidden. Wouldn't show up in Spotlight results.

Also remember. there are two "Library" folders per user:

1. /Macintosh HD/System/Library

2. /Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Library

"AVX2_Plugins" folder exists in folder "/Macintosh HD/System/Library/".

macOS ya'll.

• Sat, Apr 1 2017 4:08 PM In reply to

Isaquit0:
    Also remember. there are two "Library" folders per user:

1. /Macintosh HD/System/Library

2. /Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Library

"AVX2_Plugins" folder exists in folder "/Macintosh HD/System/Library/".

That's not correct. There are THREE Library folders, including /Library, and THAT is where the AMA Plugins are:

/Library/Application Support/Avid/AVX2_Plug-ins/AMA

I guess Spotlight must ignore that file type, so that's the reason you can't search for it.

-- Kevin

• Sun, Apr 2 2017 12:23 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 759
    • Points 8,960

Spotlight ignores system folders in OS X / macOS by default. Since most AVX2 plugins live there, that's why they don't show up in Spotlight results.

Of course, you can change that:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/232404/show-library-folder-and-subfolders-in-spotlight-search

• Mon, Apr 3 2017 5:50 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,635

Isaquit0:

Spotlight ignores system folders in OS X / macOS by default. Since most AVX2 plugins live there, that's why they don't show up in Spotlight results.

Of course, you can change that:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/232404/show-library-folder-and-subfolders-in-spotlight-search

Thanks - did not know that. I suppose it is logical if they are constantly changing targets as that would mean a lot more indexing. I'll check out the link - great info..

John

• Sun, May 7 2017 6:22 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 759
    • Points 8,960

Updated Media Composer to 8.8.2. MC was stuck with the old "Initialize AVX2 host" message on launch.

Like everyone else, I had to Force Quit MC, remove AVX files from "/Library/", then re-add them one-by-one until I found the culprits. In my case, it was Red Giant Looks and Misfire. (Extensions troublshooting, anyone?)

Correcting a previous post, there are indeed three folder locations in OS X / macOS:

1. /Macintosh HD/Library

2. /Macintosh HD/System/Library

3. /Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Library

Like Kevin said, AVX2 plugins live here:

/Library/Application Support/Avid/AVX2_Plug-ins/

If Marianna or Ralph is reading, a suggestion for engineering: could they check currently installed AVX2 plugins and give a warning of incompatibiity? If MC can't continue loading, present the user with a list of possible culprits, with a button that shoots them straight to that location in Finder. I know it might be a dangerous UX, but the whole no progress indicator is kinda lame.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller