Latest post Mon, Nov 21 2016 8:43 PM by Kevin Klimek. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 30 2016 7:26 PM

Media Composer v8.6 | NOW AVAILABLE

Avid is pleased to announce the release of Media Composer | Software v8.6.

HOW TO GET:
    The latest update to Media Composer is available worldwide as of June 30, 2016 from the Avid Download Center or through the Application Manager.

The ability to launch Media Composer software is dependent on the status of the customers Upgrade and Support Plan on the date this software version was released.

- Please read the How to Update Your License page before upgrading to this release.

- More detailed information is also available on the Upgrade and Support Plan FAQ page.

- The FlexVersioner, as has been stated in the past, is no longer supported for this release.  See the Support Upgrade article for instructions on how to upgrade your dongle based  or SW licensing based System.

NEW FEATURES:
    New in this release includes:

- Source Browser: Allows you to navigate to and import or link your file-based media from a single window. You can also preview your file-based media in the Source Browser window before you commit the clip(s) into a project.

- Native Support for Panasonic AVC-LongG:
    Media Composer now provides native support for the Panasonic AVC-LongG format.

- Audio Ducking: Quickly and easily create an audio mix by automatically reducing the audio level of one or more audio tracks against other audio track(s) –  like “ducking” the volume of music or natural sound under dialog, and then ramping it back up again.

- Nested AudioSuite Effects: Stack AudioSuite effects and step in and out to manipulate each individual effect – just like with video effects.

OS SUPPORT:
    This release is supported OS X 10.9.5 (Mavericks), 10.10.5 (Yosemite) and 10.11.5 (El Capitan).

NOTE: To those users upgrading to El Capitan for the first time, please deactivate & uninstall Media Composer FIRST, upgrade the OS, then reinstall Media Composer.  If you use Avid Artist DNxIO, you must also uninstall the Desktop Video software and reinstall it after the OS upgrade.

README:
    The README & "What's New" documents for 8.6 are available here.  The README for 8.6 can also be found attached to this post. As always, please read the docs before upgrading to understand any known issues.

If you have any comments or questions regarding the installation of this version, please post it here.  For other bugs or questions, please start a new thread.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Jul 1 2016 2:23 AM In reply to

Re: Media Composer v8.6 | NOW AVAILABLE

Hi,

Just had a problem with the 8.6.0 install on my Mac OS10.11.5 on my iMac5K

I downloaded the installer from the download centre, not via the  Avid Application Manager.

When I opened the installer and hit the install button, it opened the verify window and hung there.

Could not get it to do anything.

I rang support and they took remote control of my Mac and they could not get it to run.

We then used the Application Manager to download the .DMG and went into the library folder/Cache/Avid/download/ and found the Media_Composer_8.6.0_Mac.dmg there, and ran it from there.

It worked from there.

It did exactly the same on my other Mac, a MacPro2103 and we installed it the same way.

2013 MacPro 10.12.3 MC 8.8.0 + Symphony, iMac 27 MC 8.8.0 + Symphony, Anyone want to buy a useless Nitris DX then! [view my complete system specs]

Big Hat

(All Hat, No Cattle)
    Mac Pro 2013

Filed under: , ,
  • Fri, Jul 1 2016 9:31 PM In reply to

• Greg Cohan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 9 2015
    • Hollywood
    • Posts 86
    • Points 995

Well Gary I'm glad I saw this...

But what the heck do you do if you uninstalled App Manager also and that too is stuck on Verifing...

60 Systems all running MC 2018.12.5 Mac OS 11.something [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 1 2016 9:57 PM In reply to

• Greg Cohan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 9 2015
    • Hollywood
    • Posts 86
    • Points 995

to answer my own question.

run First aid on disc

which fixes the App Man stall on verify.

Then download 8.6 through App Man

Then run install..

60 Systems all running MC 2018.12.5 Mac OS 11.something [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 2 2016 12:50 PM In reply to

This is an issue with El Capitan only. Two potential workarounds...

1.) Drag the installer app from the DMG to your Desktop and launch from there.

2.) Do a CMD+I on the installer app and uncheck "Ignore Ownership on this volume."

In either case, it should open relatively quickly, but to be safe, let it go for at least three minutes before you quit it.

HTH

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Sat, Jul 2 2016 7:03 PM In reply to

• chumpster
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edinburgh
    • Posts 70
    • Points 810

I was the same, too  Gary. Thanks for the tip!

• Wed, Jul 6 2016 11:30 AM In reply to

• SK editor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 14 2016
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

• Thu, Jul 14 2016 2:35 PM In reply to

• SteveK
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 316
    • Points 3,565

Upgarded sucesfully to V 8.6 last week.

Now afterApplicatuon manger log in been sittingat "authentation" for hours

any one else?

Numerous clients mojo to Nitris PC systems 6.5 to 2018.3 with interplay with ISIS/UNITY, EVS transfer/w IP director At Home: new 2017 15" i7 MacbookPro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 7 2016 8:47 PM In reply to

• Robert B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 7 2011
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,005

Dear team Avid,

After using 8.6 on time-sensitive projects everyday since it's launch, I just wanted to jump in and give some love. It is by far the best release I've used in a long time. Editing/trimming is nice and zippy, making changes on complicated projects is free of lag and I've noticed a huge improvement in stability. Add in an Artist Color with Baselight, Boris CC 10 and a few choice AAX plugins and you have an offline/online powerhouse.

I'm not saying that there isn't room for improvement, but I just wanted to share my appreciation for making the application a joy to use again. The performance improvments have really made the application settle into the background, allowing the storytelling process to come back into the foreground. 

Keep up the great work.

Robert Bowlus (Avid since '94)

OFFICE: 3.5 GHz Core i7 Late 2013 Imac running OSX 10.11 with 32GB RAM. NVIDIA GTX 780M 4096 MB. Avid Media Composer 8.5/ Pro Tools 12.4 MOBILE: 17"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 9 2016 2:39 PM In reply to

• rfayan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 5 2006
    • Posts 36
    • Points 450
    • Avid Developer Moderator
      Avid Employee

Hi Robert, I manage the Media Composer Engineering Team.  Thanks for the glowing review!  Many of us in the development team read these forums; this kind of feedback is a great motivator.  I will pass along your positive comments to the rest of the team.  

Thanks again,

-Randy

• Wed, Aug 10 2016 3:34 PM In reply to

Hi,

I run MC 8.5.1 on a Mac Pro (end 2013 6 core 32GB) and OSX.9.5. The App manager states my MC is current. It should show the update, no? As my support plan is only ending on 28/12/2016. How can I fix this to update MC to the new 8.6 version?

kind regards,

Bart Beckers 

• Wed, Aug 10 2016 3:49 PM In reply to

Hi Bart,

What version of AppMan are you running? Is that also up-to-date?

You can always access the full downloads from the Avid Download Center or from your online account.

-- Kevin

• Wed, Aug 10 2016 8:15 PM In reply to

Hi Kevin,

I had updated the AppMan first, so that's up to date.
    Any advice on the installation and activation when i get the download from the download center?

And I hope I won't miss out on updates, as the app man doesn't say there's an update. Can this be checked somehow?

kind regards,

Bart

• Wed, Aug 10 2016 9:21 PM In reply to

Just to verify...is the AppMan icon in the menu bar purple? I am wondering if you are having a connection issue.

Can you tell me what version of AppMan you have?

-- Kevin

• Wed, Aug 10 2016 11:50 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,085

Yes, like Robert Bowlus above, I have been running MC 8.6.x and have found it to be rock solid and a HUGE improvement in performance over recent builds. And I've also been pushing it hard with Neat Video and Baselight Editions, and it hasn't crashed once in weeks. Very robust. Thanks!

Chris Conlee

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller