Latest post Thu, Jun 30 2016 12:47 PM by Typhon2007. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 26 2016 3:43 PM

• Steve Clark
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 3 2011
    • Melbourne, AU
    • Posts 74
    • Points 815

Replacing a camera feed in a multicam group

I'm working on a SD game show that is heavily post produced.

The station that I am working at ditched all of their no longer supported HD Adrenaline BOBs and installed AJA Kona cards. 

The show is shot in a HD studio and downconverted to Mpeg 50 SD for edit and TX.

The Tape Operator backs up the camera ISOs to HDCAM tape and HD ports in their media asset management system. 

It's a quick turnaround show, no time to mess about. 

Tonight we had a HD Downconverter fail on what I will call my 'safety shot', I use it a lot to cover edits.

I had the Tape Op push the HD backup recording to me and I grouped it with the main SD switch and other 5 ISOs.

When I checked it, the angle looked soft and horrible compared to the other cameras. I dont remember the Adrenaline downconversion looking that bad. A mixdown didn't make it look any better. I had to start cutting. I asked the Tape Op to play out the HDCAM backup and record the SD output into another edit suite. I expected that I would be able to delete the associated media files for the clip and relink to the new clip, preserving my multicam edit. 

I know that I need to have a source ID and matching timecode to relink, so I go through the steps to modify, but MC pops up an error as this suite is on ISIS storage with Interplay.

So finally my question is, how to you do this through interplay? 

Lenovo C30 1095CTO Dual Xeon E5-2640 (12 Cores @ 2.50Ghz) Nvidia Quadro 4000 32Gb RAM OCZ Vertex 4 SSD system drive. Avid RTR-320x VideoRAID ATTO UL5D... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 26 2016 6:09 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,167
    • Points 13,190

Re: Replacing a camera feed in a multicam group

I'm pretty sure you'll need to witch to standalone mode to relink. 

Interplay indexes in the background & if tape name & timecode match (or source file & timecode) then it should link but there's no 'Relink' as you are used to. 

There is 'dynamic relink' but I remember that being a little dangerous.

Ive had issues in the past with linking in an interplay environment & someone from Avid did post a guide to switching to standalone - http://community.avid.com/forums/p/75962/438292.aspx - which may be of use. It was 7 years ago so you'd think it would've improved in the meantime...

• Thu, Jun 30 2016 4:01 AM In reply to

• Steve Clark
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 3 2011
    • Melbourne, AU
    • Posts 74
    • Points 815

Thanks Trevor. 

Lenovo C30 1095CTO Dual Xeon E5-2640 (12 Cores @ 2.50Ghz) Nvidia Quadro 4000 32Gb RAM OCZ Vertex 4 SSD system drive. Avid RTR-320x VideoRAID ATTO UL5D... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 30 2016 12:47 PM In reply to

• Typhon2007
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 4 2010
    • Brussels - Belgium
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,025

Hi.

We are using the relink function a lot and we are using Interplay. We are using it to produce different langage edits of a master edit (trailers). it was tricky to learn to use the relink function efficiently but now it is a strong tool for us.

I would use the relink function to achieve your goal. If you still need help, don't hesitate to ask.

Thierry

15x z420 - MC 8.7.2 - ISIS 5500 3x64TB - Interplay 3.5 - ProTools 12.6 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller