Latest post Thu, Jun 9 2016 9:59 AM by GDBrown85. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 9 2016 8:16 AM

• GDBrown85
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 10 2013
    • Posts 53
    • Points 630

How do I find out what format my linked AMA files are in?

I tried clicking 'more info' on a clip in the bin but it does not say - as far as I can see - whether the files are standard HD or full HD.

If they are standard HD, is there a way to export them in full HD afterwards? 

Also, I was initially having issues in AMA linking to the 1080/25 format so not sure if I need to adjust any other settings to help with this.

Many thanks

Gareth

• Thu, Jun 9 2016 9:38 AM In reply to

Re: How do I find out what format my linked AMA files are in?

What version of MC?  There are some options in newer versions of MC that may guide towards different workflows in transcoding media, especially when different frame rates are involved.

In all versions - you can Choose Columns in the bin to enable practically any clip info you want, including raster dimension and other things that will give you information about your media.  Right-click up in your bin headings, and Choose Columns to enable what you need.

When you say "standard HD," what do you mean - 1080i? 720p?  Both of those are broadcast HD standards.  I assume you mean 1080p by "full HD," but not sure.  For clarity, it's generally best to refer to resolutions by the actual raster size and frame rate (or field rate for interlaced media) - such as 1080p25, or 720p59.94, 1080i50, 1080p50, etc.  "Full HD" is mostly a marketing term to mean 1080p (but even then, with higher framerates now, is that 1080p25?  1080p50?  Very different!).

Regardless - sure, you can transcode to whatever you need.  You can link your 1080i media into a 1080p project, and transcode that media to 1080p to match.  In newer versions of MC, you can maintain the raster size and framerate of the original media when you transcode - which helps you get around the older problem of being forced to break the relink relationship between original and transcoded media by converting frame rates.

With your issues in linking - exactly what kind of media was it?  1080/25 (i? p?) helps to know, but more importantly, what's the codec/source?  Is it from a particular camera format such as Panasonic P2?  Sony XDCamEX/XDCamHD?  XAVC-L, XAVC-I, XAVC-S?  AVCHD?  And so forth... generally, linking issues are solved by having the correct AMA plugin for that format (if available!), and linking to the right place (root of a camera card - or one level above the topmost folder for a camera card structure copied to your hard drive).

So, that information will help us - what's your project type (Avid notation - up in the Format tab in your Project window), and exactly what kind of media are you having difficulty with?

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 9 2016 9:59 AM In reply to

• GDBrown85
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 10 2013
    • Posts 53
    • Points 630

Re: How do I find out what format my linked AMA files are in?

Hi there

Thanks for speedy reply.

What version of MC?  There are some options in newer versions of MC that may guide towards different workflows in transcoding media, especially when different frame rates are involved.

I believe it is Avid 7. Sorry not currently at my computer to give you 100% confirmation right now.

In all versions - you can Choose Columns in the bin to enable practically any clip info you want, including raster dimension and other things that will give you information about your media.  Right-click up in your bin headings, and Choose Columns to enable what you need.

Great tip. Will check this out when I get home tonight.

When you say "standard HD," what do you mean - 1080i? 720p?  Both of those are broadcast HD standards.  I assume you mean 1080p by "full HD," but not sure.  For clarity, it's generally best to refer to resolutions by the actual raster size and frame rate (or field rate for interlaced media) - such as 1080p25, or 720p59.94, 1080i50, 1080p50, etc.  "Full HD" is mostly a marketing term to mean 1080p (but even then, with higher framerates now, is that 1080p25?  1080p50?  Very different!).

The footage resolution is 1920x1080 and the raster rate I found to accommodate this when I created the new project was 1080p. The frame rate was 25 so I assume I go with ‘1080p25’? Is that right?

Regardless - sure, you can transcode to whatever you need.  You can link your 1080i media into a 1080p project, and transcode that media to 1080p to match.  In newer versions of MC, you can maintain the raster size and frame rate of the original media when you transcode - which helps you get around the older problem of being forced to break the relink relationship between original and transcoded media by converting frame rates.

OK so I can transcode afterwards – even if I use a raster rate of 720p? Just don’t want to do something that can’t be ‘reversed’ afterwards...

With your issues in linking - exactly what kind of media was it?  1080/25 (i? p?) helps to know, but more importantly, what's the codec/source?  Is it from a particular camera format such as Panasonic P2?  Sony XDCamEX/XDCamHD?  XAVC-L, XAVC-I, XAVC-S?  AVCHD?  And so forth... generally, linking issues are solved by having the correct AMA plugin for that format (if available!), and linking to the right place (root of a camera card - or one level above the topmost folder for a camera card structure copied to your hard drive).

It came from a Canon 5d mkll camera. It was actually someone else who imported the footage onto my hard drive but I think he imported it from his own camera’s external hard drive.

So, that information will help us - what's your project type (Avid notation - up in the Format tab in your Project window), and exactly what kind of media are you having difficulty with?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller