Latest post Fri, Apr 8 2016 8:18 PM by BobRusso. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 8 2016 6:42 AM

Archion Editstor vs Editshare

Curious to find out what people experience with these two media severs and if one is perfered over another and for what reasons. . We are planning on having about 8 Editors with 2 Assistants on this server. We will be working Avid Media composer 7/8.  Right now an ISIS is to costly for our small company. Thanks for any feedback at all.

• Fri, Apr 8 2016 1:37 PM In reply to

• blindpew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 5 2011
    • Posts 45
    • Points 485

Re: Archion Editstor vs Editshare

You could also look at http://www.dynamicdrivepool.com/

freelance - hence many and various... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 8 2016 3:22 PM In reply to

Are you sure ISIS is too costly? Some firm promo's right now, and ISIS1000 with 20TB and 24 clients for 14K seems like a serious contender to me.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 8 2016 8:18 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,291
    • Points 28,290
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Have you seen the ISIS|1000 yet? A 20TB Engine (16TB usable) starts at $14,000 without a switch.

The 1000 supports 1024 workspaces that can be created, renamed, deleted and resized as often as you'd like with no impact on performance. As engines are added, the performance and storage expands linearly - so a workspace can span a number of engines. You gain space and perfromance as engines are added.

The workspaces have Media Aware two drive protection, this is different from a traditional RAID 5 or 6. With the 1000, if a drive fails, only the media missing needs to be rebuilt. If the system is 1/2 full, only 50% needs to be copied to the new drive. Because I have two drive media aware protection I've deemphasized the rebuild over real-time activities. This way during a rebuild there is very little impact on performance.

A traditional RAID 5/6 requires the entire drive to be rebuilt - regardless if there's anything actually on the drive. This can take a long time and the system will be degraded during that time. If one of the drives hits a bad sector that can't be read during the rebuild you're stuck and might not ever be able to complete the rebuild. With a RAID 5 if a second drive fails during the rebuild everything is lost.

I've designed the 1000 to be quiet so it doesn't need to be in a machine room; the power supplies are oversized so they rarely spin up. The switch will be louder. I've qualified a number of low cost switches with support for Twinax cables to lower the overall cost of the system.

Other shared storage has reversed engineered Media Composer Project sharing but only ISIS is supported for this. There's often issues where Media Composer doesn't work as expected. There's a guarantee that it will work with ISIS.

As you can imagine we work extremely closely with the Media Composer team; we have access to private API that ensure the best performance.

I did a demo of the ISIS|1000 here: Creative Collaboration with Avid Shared Storage

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller