Latest post Wed, Feb 17 2016 8:08 PM by AprilEdits. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 17 2016 5:38 PM

MXFs are offline, how to bring back?

Hi!  I am on MC 8.4.5

I have media that is in a folder as MXF files, and it is offline in my avid bin.  How do I reconnect?

What happened is, I had a 12 TB drive that I saved media on, went on winter break and my Media Manager copied/moved everything off the 12 TB to a 6TB internal raid. 

I tried alt+drag from finder to the avid bin, didn't work.  Batch import doesn't work.  

I figured it out two years when the Media Manager moved things before....but I can't remember how I fixed, please help!

Mac, Avid MC 8.4.5 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Wed, Feb 17 2016 5:41 PM In reply to

Re: MXFs are offline, how to bring back?

Make sure those MXF Mediafiles live on the root of the drive, in the right folder structure, for instance

DriveX:/Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1/

Any other folder structure and MC won't see that media. When it sees it, you won't have to re-import or relink, it will just show up.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 17 2016 5:47 PM In reply to

right now the structure is 6 TB > 2014 MEDIA > Crime > Avid MediaFiles > MXF > Edit 4's Mac

Can I add a 1 folder into this?  The last folder is a large folder,  I hope I don't have to wait a few hours for things to move/copy? 

• Wed, Feb 17 2016 5:50 PM In reply to

No...you can't have subfolders ahead of Avid MediaFiles...they HAVE to be at thre root.  And subfolders under "MXF" that have alphabetic characters in them can be read but not updated. Only numeric folders can be read/write to.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Feb 17 2016 5:52 PM In reply to

No, you will need to move the 'Avid MediaFiles' folder and everything in it to the root of the 6TB drive, so to the top level. It cannot be inside any other folder.

You can probably keep 'Edit 4's Mac', but I would recommend changing the name of the folder 'Edit 4's Mac' to '400' (or any number), so that MC can index it if needed.

So it would become 6 TB > Avid MediaFiles > MXF > 400 > yourfiles.mxf

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 17 2016 6:58 PM In reply to

I moved the media to 6TB/Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 as suggested.  Still no luck, Avid also did not scan and index.  I deleted the msm files before restart as well

• Wed, Feb 17 2016 7:04 PM In reply to

Just to clarify, 6TB is the name of the volume, not a folder or directory?

To make sure the existing folder structure is correct, in Avid, make a new media file on the 6TB volume.  A quick way is to create tone media.  Once that has been dome, look to see if Avid created a new folder structure, Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1, or, did it place the media in your existing one.

Mare sure the folder structure is spelled exactly as Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 (note upper and lower case and spacing)

Also, check the volume permissions, and make sure it is available as "Read & Write" to everyone.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Feb 17 2016 7:10 PM In reply to

Correct with 6TB as the name of the volume.

Why would avid create a new folder structure if there already is a Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 ?

• Wed, Feb 17 2016 7:14 PM In reply to

"... Why would avid create a new folder structure if there already is a Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1? ..."

If it was missplelled, had incorrect spacing, or was simply corrupt.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Feb 17 2016 7:48 PM In reply to

hello all!  I made a new folder structure, 6TB/Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1/ copied media into here

I then relaunched avid and made a new bin.  Opened the Finder MXF/1 folder and selected all the media and drug into the new bin and everything opened properly in the new bin, it just did not reconnect to the first bin with the offline media. 

Thanks for all the help!

I plan to export high quality QT files to a different folder so that this doesn't create another search & rescue mission when the Media Manager decides to switch things out on me again.

• Wed, Feb 17 2016 8:02 PM In reply to

AprilEdits:
    I plan to export high quality QT files to a different folder so that this doesn't create another search & rescue mission when the Media Manager decides to switch things out on me again.

As standard operating procedure, I would never store QuickTime movies in Avid MediaFiles folders.  Keep those seperate.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Feb 17 2016 8:08 PM In reply to

Yep-that is the plan!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller