Latest post Thu, Feb 11 2016 6:55 PM by usatraveler. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 11 2016 4:30 PM

Another Relink Question

Hello, 

I got a drive full of 2 min clips (450 clips) sent in from people all over the world and filmed on different camera. I had the task of going through them all and condensing it down to 15 videos. 

Beofre I started I transcoded to DNx 36. now that I've finished and try relink back to the original clips... none of the clips are relinking? 

I'm not getting an error saying that no clips were relinked but a new sequence is created (sequence v1.relinked.01) but yet no clips are relinked. Everythign else is fine, all of the clips are AMA linked, none are offline, I've made just that the clips I want to relink are in a bin and selected, deleted the database files, you get where I'm going.

I've noticed that on my sequence the clips have 'thefilename.new.01 V2'

Any ideas or  help would be appreciated!

Tom 

• Thu, Feb 11 2016 6:05 PM In reply to

Re: Another Relink Question

To relink to AMA clips, you need to:

1. Open your AMA bins and highlight all of the clips.
    2. Highlight your sequence and select Relink...
    3. Select "All Selected Items in Open Bins" and make sure duplicate sequence is checked.

A new sequence with .Relinked.xx will be created.  This one should be back to your AMA source clips.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Feb 11 2016 6:24 PM In reply to

Hi Kevin,

Sorry I should have mentioned that I have done all that already. I've relinked before so know the workflow but I can't understand why this hasn't.

could it be becusee I have the footage at different frame rates, transcoded to one frame rate and now it won't relink back to the mixed frame rates?

• Thu, Feb 11 2016 6:30 PM In reply to

Yes, that is the case.  You should have seen the warning message when you tried to do that, and now you won't be able to relink back to AMA.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Feb 11 2016 6:55 PM In reply to

Indeed, can't relink back once you transcode framerates.  Very clear warning before transcoding, as Kevin said.

One way to avoid this in the future - in newer versions of MC, I think 8.3 and later (maybe 8.2..), there is an option to transcode to the SOURCE framerate, as DNxHR.  That way, you preserve the relink relationship.

In prior versions, the way was to create a new project for each framerate, link to the raw, do each rate's transcode in its own project.  Then, open those bins in your "main" project.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller