Latest post Mon, Feb 15 2016 1:15 PM by usatraveler. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 11 2016 12:26 PM

• jimmy23
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 28 2014
    • Posts 60
    • Points 725

Project with different Frame Rates workflow

Hi all

As you can probably guess by the subject line, I'm working on a project that has video files with different frame rates. My question is in regards to the workflow. I'm doing the offline edit on AVID, I will then be re-linking the timeline to be sent to DaVinci for grading and then have it sent back to AVID for the final export. 

So far I know what I have to do is create seperate projects that match the frame rate of the video files, AMA-Link, transcode them into offline quality then copy the Bins containing the AMA-Links and transcoded files into that of the main project. My question is this; once I have edited it and need to re-link to the camera files for the trip to DaVinci, will the clips that have different frame rates to the project be able to re-link to their original camera files with no issues? Or is there something else that I have to do?

I'm on version 8.3.1 if that has any effect on procedings.  

Thanks,

• Thu, Feb 11 2016 12:55 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,380
    • Points 17,020

Re: Project with different Frame Rates workflow

Not exactly sure where 8.3 falls on the continuum but, maintaining your source framerate should be an option in the transcode dialog.  No need to create separate projects.  Maintaining source framerate makes for solid relinking.

• Fri, Feb 12 2016 11:56 AM In reply to

• jimmy23
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 60
    • Points 725

Maybe I'm being unobervant but I can't see any option for maintaining source framerate in the transcode dialogue?

• Fri, Feb 12 2016 2:41 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,380
    • Points 17,020

Should be right under the raster dimensions drop down.

• Sun, Feb 14 2016 10:23 AM In reply to

• jimmy23
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 60
    • Points 725

That's bizzare I don't seem to have those options available to me, it just has the Project Dimensions (proxy off) then Target Video Resolution below it. The project type is 1080p/24, will that have some effect on it?

• Sun, Feb 14 2016 12:22 PM In reply to

I know there was a version where transcode scaling, and framerate conversion, was available only for projects in greater-than-HD resolutions.  Then, the NEXT release, all other resolutions were included.  It might have been 8.3 for HR projects, then 8.4 for all.  I forget.

Whatever earlier version it was, my workaround was to change the project type to a higher resolution at the same framerate - for example, if I had a 1080p29.97 project, I'd change it to UHD 29.97 - THEN, do the transcode.  Then, switch my project type back to 1080p.  So, you'd go from 1080p24 to UHDp24, do the transcode (or if you use background, just start the transcode), then pop back to 1080 and keep working.

Just make sure you transcode to "source" resolution, so you don't accidentally take your 1080 media and scale it up to UHD in the process unnecessarily.

Or, you can update to a later release and get that feature in all projects.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 15 2016 8:21 AM In reply to

• jimmy23
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 60
    • Points 725

I did actually have the latest version of AVID, the issue was that the latest version of the RED AMA-Plugin (1.14) didn't work with it so I had to down grade to a version of AVID it does work with. 

I will give that a try. Is there anything different that I need to do when I relink to the original camera files for the Online process of the edit?

• Mon, Feb 15 2016 1:15 PM In reply to

Best way to go is to make sure your original files are in their own bin(s).

Then, OPEN all those bins with the original files, CLOSE all the bins with your offline files.  Select all the originals, right-click your sequence, choose "Selected items in ALL open bins."

Should work great.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller