Latest post Tue, Aug 29 2017 5:54 PM by Marianna. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 8 2016 7:14 PM

• SilvaEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 3 2010
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,135

8.5 Audio Mixer has no Grp button - has this gone for good?

Just updated from 7.0.4. so not sure if this was removed a while back but my audio mixer has no grp button. I liked to have my audio channels on view in groups of 8 but now I have to slide the slider or show all my audio channels. I don't think this leads to maximum efficiency when dealing with the audio mixer interface user experience.

• Mon, Feb 8 2016 7:25 PM In reply to

• John Pale
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 19 2011
    • NYC
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,075

Re: 8.5 Audio Mixer has no Grp button - has this gone for good?

Not in front of the system now, but in 8.5 there are options to turn off various parts of the mixer to save space in user settings.  Give it a look.  You may be able to toggle it back on.

Mac Pro 5,1 (2009-firmware upgrade to 2010). Self upgraded to 12 core (2 x Hex Core Westmere 2.93Ghz) 32 GB Ram Mac OSX 10.11.3 Avid MC 8.5 NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 8 2016 7:58 PM In reply to

You are correct that there are no groups in the audio mixer in 8.5.  Apparently, it was a conscious choice as a part of the redesign.  Believe me, there was A LOT of discussion about the mix tool in the beta testing.

I'd suggest voicing your concern here, and having others support you if the demand is there.  otherwise a post in the Feature Request forum wouldn't hurt either.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Feb 8 2016 8:24 PM In reply to

Hi there,

This was also a query of mine, it's unfortunate as it seems, unless I've missed something, to have a knock on effect with control of the audio mixer via midi.

I use Lemur on my iPad quite often, not so much to mix, but do make quick audio level changes.

As there only appears to be enough midi channels to control the first 8 faders visible in MC at one time (the first visible 8 in the mixer panel), I relied somewhat on the group button to toggle between channels 1-8 and 9-16.

Unless additional channels are assigned then only the first 8 channels are available to control.

I don't know if this affects other controllers or if there are more MIDI channels that I don't know about.

Thanks

Peter

Avid Media Composer 8.4 Mac OS 10.11.3 Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | 16GB memory | ATI Radeon HD 2600XT 256mb | NVIDIA GeFOrce GTX 650... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 8 2016 9:09 PM In reply to

Kevin Klimek:
    Apparently, it was a conscious choice as a part of the redesign.
    To me dropping various functionality from redesign seems to be becoming a very unfortunate trend. For the last little while the first iteration of any new or redesigned features seems to be very basic. Anything beyond basic, even if it had been a valuable function of previous versions, does not SEEM to be worthy of consideration. There also seems to me to be minimal creative attempt to explore and extract the full potential from new features.

It was my opinion for years that the power of Avid was that it covered a huge percentage of the editing basics (with several ways of doing most of then) PLUS it had lots of options Editors rarely (if ever) required. However when an editor wanted one of these they REALLY NEEDED it. For me the times I used these options they saved my bacon (deadline). They were what kept kept me (and I am sure many others) as die hard Avid user(s).

• Mon, Feb 8 2016 9:20 PM In reply to

Not disagreeing with you, but I believe the discussion stemmed from the change where you could select which tracks to show from the tool's left panel, therby creating your own unique grouping that didn't have to be a sequential set of 4, 8 or 16 tracks.

I don't know if it will be added back, but I can promise it was an extensive debate during the beta testing process.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Feb 8 2016 10:55 PM In reply to

• Kevin Smith
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 21 2011
    • London
    • Posts 60
    • Points 905

Hi,

As John suggested the group audio channels button is still there, you just need to twirl down the second arrow from the top to reveal the button.

Cheers,

Kevin

Media Composer 8.04 with Symphony option, MacBook Pro 15inch, 2.7 ghz Intel Core i7, Mac OS Yosemeti 10.10.3 16 GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 8 2016 11:23 PM In reply to

Hi Kevin S,

I think we're talking about the other type of group button (atleast I was), where you switch between the different banks of faders.

As opposed to groupoing faders together.

Peter

Avid Media Composer 8.4 Mac OS 10.11.3 Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | 16GB memory | ATI Radeon HD 2600XT 256mb | NVIDIA GeFOrce GTX 650... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 8 2016 11:28 PM In reply to

Hi Kevin K,

Perhaps the way forward (rather than moving back to the group button) is to have the ability to save different layouts of your audio faders, much like work spaces/bin layouts/bin views etc.

Peter

• Tue, Feb 9 2016 6:18 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,635

Peter Stewart:
    As opposed to groupoing faders together

Good to know the functionality is still there and I assume thats what the OP was talking about. It's either call grouping or ganging...

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Tue, Feb 9 2016 10:08 AM In reply to

• SilvaEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,135

Hi all

I was not talking about ganging - I was talking about the button seen here that says ''Grp 1'':

http://www.studiodaily.com/Assets/Image/studiomonthly/JAN%202012/mc6-audio-mixer1.jpg

For some reason in 8.5 when I try to extend my mixer from the left hand side to show 10 tracks of audio, the other side of the mixer is the side that expands. On my dual monitoring system the mixer suddenly jumps to the other monitor when I try to expand from the left and the right hand side has expanded a huge amount.

Here's a Screen Recording of what I mean:

https://vid.me/qG2r

It seems to me much more inefficient to have to move the mixer to the left then drag out the right hand side and possibly adjust to show the extra audio tracks you need. The Grp 1 etc. buttons were so much easier and neater.

EDIT:

I understand it is possible to create multiple workspaces but for someone who already has many keyboard shortcuts assigned, I don't want to waste them creating one for a new mixer layout when I used to be able to just click on a button to access the next bank.

• Tue, Feb 9 2016 4:14 PM In reply to

SilvaEdit:
    For some reason in 8.5 when I try to extend my mixer from the left hand side to show 10 tracks of audio, the other side of the mixer is the side that expands. On my dual monitoring system the mixer suddenly jumps to the other monitor when I try to expand from the left and the right hand side has expanded a huge amount.

Hmmm...not seeing that here, but I did see a similar behavior trying to resize some other window once, but can't replicate it.

Did you create a new Avid user when you upgraded?

-- Kevin

• Tue, Feb 9 2016 6:08 PM In reply to

• SilvaEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,135

Yes I have recreated my user settings twice. Once for the new install and the second time as Avid was taking forever to load up a project. Recreating my user settings fixed that.

With regards to the window resizing. I get the same problem when resizing bins. Dragging the left hand side expands the right hand side. Very odd.

• Mon, Feb 15 2016 9:53 PM In reply to

• moose1184
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 20 2007
    • Posts 57
    • Points 700

I already miss the Group button, and the "number of mix panes" button as well. With 16+ tracks of audio, it's just easier to cycle through with the group button than selecting / deselecting individual audio tracks with that sidebar, or having to horizontally scroll through the tracks. I would really prefer the Group button to return AND for it to be made mappable to a keyboard shortcut, which would allow editors to quickly cycle through their tracks without having to do any cumbersome clicking.

The twirldowns are helpful for customizing space, but I still think each individual pane could be more compact (which I believe was the case in MC5).

Avid Media Composer 8.5 Mojo DX Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 3.33 Ghz Mac OS 10.11.3 16 GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 29 2017 1:47 PM In reply to

• OwenP
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 12 2006
    • London, UK
    • Posts 17
    • Points 245

Kevin Klimek:

Apparently, it was a conscious choice as a part of the redesign.  Believe me, there was A LOT of discussion about the mix tool in the beta testing.

Why? Where is the sense in taking out functionality? Do the beta testers routinely use less than 8 tracks?

What are the rest of us supposed to do? Get a third monitor for the mixer?

Someone elsewhere suggested that the group function cured the 'too many' faders issue.

if thats the case I can't see how. It just seems to arm and disarm timeline tracks. You still have to activate

the faders using the radio buttons in the tracks window

man this sucks...

Macbook Pro, BM Intensity [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller