Latest post Mon, Jan 9 2017 10:08 PM by Bruce Dixon. 162 replies.
Page 9 of 11 (163 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 1 2016 1:34 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Re: Avid 8.5 Mac taking forever to export files (Actually stops and cannot quit)

Alastair Tye Samson:

Today, I'm in a very time critical booking in which a 44 minute ep has come back to me at the last minute for urgent legal changes and needs to be sent for dubs and delivery to network STAT.  

I mixed down the entire show to pr422hq, my timeline only consists of that mixdown on V1 and 4 audio tracks, which are populated with 2 stereo wavs - a stereo mix and an m&e mix.

Now I'm trying to export a Same as Source quicktime.  

I'll give you three guesses as to what happens next...

Have you tried a QT Ref and Sorenson or Media Encoder?

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Fri, Apr 1 2016 1:45 AM In reply to

Re: Avid 8.5 Mac taking forever to export files (Actually stops and cannot quit)

Alastair,

I feel your pain. I had many delays in the past week myself because of this too.

I can only say: with a fresh start and a custom export as ProRes4444 I had the best chances of getting through the export. But of course: I didnt have a long film like you did.

• Fri, Apr 1 2016 7:29 AM In reply to

• rupertvdb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 5 2015
    • Posts 18
    • Points 230

If at all possible i'd suggest going back an OSX to Yosemite (thorugh a time machine backup if you can). It took a day out of my working life and i've got to work around some of my other programs that need the latest drivers (only a couple of unnecessary frills ones in my case, hopefully not in yours) but it's meant I have been able to fire off H264 like it's a completely normal and typical thing for an editor to be able to do. 

There no problem with compatability, the latest version edited stuff works with the former just fine. 

If you're really stuck because you have vital files on your computer i'd suggest doing a time machine backup of your current computer. Then reinstalling everything from scratch. Getting back to the OSX version that worked. And carry on. I think you might be able to get back into files through your TimeMachine although i've never tried. Once all is fixed by Avid you should save any new files made since the reinstall to an external HDD and then you can use the Time machine to take your computer back to the state you saved so all your other files come back and then update Avid. 

Whew, long winded, but it'll beat the problem until they fix it. 

• Fri, Apr 1 2016 8:09 PM In reply to

Hey there,

I've been facing a similar problem.  I had to get an hour long EP out.  My work around was doing a QT reference and then pulling that QT reference into adobe media encoder.   I'm kind of amazed this problem hasn't been fixed yet, but I know Avid is working on it... but the most basic functionality of the program is broken!

Good luck!

Mondo:

Alastair Tye Samson:

Today, I'm in a very time critical booking in which a 44 minute ep has come back to me at the last minute for urgent legal changes and needs to be sent for dubs and delivery to network STAT.  

I mixed down the entire show to pr422hq, my timeline only consists of that mixdown on V1 and 4 audio tracks, which are populated with 2 stereo wavs - a stereo mix and an m&e mix.

Now I'm trying to export a Same as Source quicktime.  

I'll give you three guesses as to what happens next...

Have you tried a QT Ref and Sorenson or Media Encoder?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB Mac Pro 2013 3.5ghz 6 core Xeon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 1 2016 11:28 PM In reply to

Thankfully, I didn't need to export a QT ref and send to a 3rd party encoder - after 2 reboots the export worked.  

My last post wasn't to seek a work-around, but rather to a) make a point of how insanely stressful this bug is when under the crunch, and b) demonstrate that the bug is definitely not simply an AMA issue nor is it limited to h.264 exports, both of which have been previously suggested.  

Unfortunately, I am not in a position to roll back OSX, as I am on a new iMac that shipped with 10.11. 

Hardware: 5K iMac (late 2015 17,1), 4 GHz i7, 32 GB, M395X w/ 4 GB, Promise Pegasus2 R4 in RAID 5 | Additional monitoring: 2.5K thunderbolt display, Dreamcolor... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 2 2016 12:39 AM In reply to

• Arnoud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 6 2015
    • Kwant
    • Posts 30
    • Points 345

Why is Avid claiming Media Composer 8.5.x to be compatible with OSX El Capitan when it obviously isn't?

I think Avid ought to correct the  'Avid Media Composer Documentation and Version Matrix'. Because it is deceptive to potential buyers who are unaware that they are about to buy a seriously flawed software.

PC with Intel i9-7920X 2.90 Ghz processor, 64 Gb RAM, Nvidia Georce 2080ti GPU, running Windows 10 pro and iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) 4 GHz... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Mon, Apr 4 2016 5:42 PM In reply to

• Dave Mann
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 4 2006
    • London
    • Posts 55
    • Points 685

Hi Marianna,

Hope you are not finding this particular problem too stressful!!

This is a really difficult issue for our small Post Facility (4 Dongle based MCs) - we did have a workaround which was to spec 1 machine running Yosemite and 8.4.2 just for exports - however this was highly embarrassing when 'media offline' popped up on the clients export in the middle of the file...

So - we are now running Premiere for our fast turnaround stuff - what concerns me is that it may be difficult to persuade the editors to move back to Avid.

Given that this has been a problem since 8.4.3 (was that released in October?), this may very well be the crossroads point for us unless there really is some kind of timeline for a definite 'fix'.

Unfortunately, promises of a 'fix' after the next update dont really help - although a small facility, we have a huge amount of fast turnaround work coming through (what's happened this year??) and the system just needs to work properly.

I am sure you have stressed to the coders how important this is and its probably equally frustrating for you to get all this negative stuff - however, we have clients who dont care about any of these things but just expect everything to work seamlessly - and of course we always get the "this does not happen with FCP"

Heres hoping!

Regards

Dave

Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 16GB 1866 MHz DdR3 ECC AMD FirePro D500 3072MB Black Magic Ultrastudio [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 6 2016 7:27 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,666
    • Points 223,900
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Dave

Might have some good news folks.....  8.5.2 is coming soon like hopefully tomorrow and from testing reports... exports are working.

I just might start jumping for joy if this does in fact get fixed :)

stand by for Moderators to launch tomorrow if all goes well.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Apr 7 2016 7:18 PM In reply to

Media Composer v8.5.2 has been released!

Please download this update and let us know if this issue has been resolved. They claim that it has been, and in my limited testing I didn't have any issues, but since it struck a variety of people in numerous ways, it would be great to confirm.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Apr 8 2016 2:06 AM In reply to

• Bruce Dixon
    • Not Ranked
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 42
    • Points 550

I did a couple of hours of editing on 8.5.2 and find it works very well. No crashes or error messages so far.

I'm sorry to say 8.5.2 does not fix my QT export issue on Mac OS El Capitan. I was able to export a short 15 second clip with no problem. Then I tried a 5 Min. clip. The progress bar moves normally for a while. In this case it got to about 75% before it hung. The progress bar just stops advancing and the estimated total render time starts running like a stopwatch. The elapsed time gets further and further away from the estimated time to render. It's not crashed, it's just hung. The command period to cancel option doesn't work.

My colleague tried it on his system this evening and got a similar result.

The QT bug that Avid fixed in 8.5.2 is not this one. 

The Mac QT export problem seems to be unchanged from 8.5 to 8.5.1 to 8.5.2.

Let's hope the next 8.5.x will do the trick.

We have 6 Media Composer systems. All are running MC 2018.12 and Mac OS X 10.13.x 2 of the MC systems have Mojo DX hardware and the Symphony option ... [view my complete system specs]

Bruce Dixon

EFX Media

Arlington VA 22204

USA

• Fri, Apr 8 2016 6:55 AM In reply to

Agree with Bruce.

I'm trying to export 40mins movie with qt h264 and it says it will take 65 hours!

Command + . doesn't work.

It's crazy to wait next few months for new relasease.

I feel really disappointed. I bought a damaged product and you're still saying "sorry, but we're working on it".

Come on guys it's more than 4 months now!

• Fri, Apr 8 2016 3:18 PM In reply to

I have reported back to Avid that the issue still persists. But to be fair, it's been two months (and two point releases) not four.

Can we review one more time...for those on 8.5.2 and still experiencing the export issue (progress bar stalls, estimated time continues to grow, CMD + . doesn't work to quit the export), please report the following:

- Specs of your Mac (model & RAM)
    - OS
    - Media type (AMA/Avid and what formats)
    - What kind of QuickTime are you exporting

Thanks...maybe there's something else we are missing...hopefully we can get to the bottom of this together.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Apr 8 2016 4:28 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,666
    • Points 223,900
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Kevin,

We got the escalation.   Can I get confirmation from you that YOU are using the real 8.5.2 build and NOT the beta build?   

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Apr 8 2016 5:32 PM In reply to

• Alexey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 5 2014
    • Russia
    • Posts 12
    • Points 100

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Processor 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

OS X El Capitan 10.11.3

Avid 8.5.2

Mixed sequence with AMA (mov from Canon EOS 5D Mk3) and imported DNxHD 120

Export to Quicktime mov h264

Duration 13 min

Still have issues with export

MacBook Pro late 2013 2,6GHz Intel Core i7 16Gb 1600 MHz DDR3 OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 AVID Media Composer 8.5.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 8 2016 6:46 PM In reply to

Hi Alexey,
      This is great information, thank you! Can you confirm the project type and media resolution? I know you mentioned DnxHR, but wanted to the Canon media as well. 

Same question for anyone else still hitting this issue. Please list out as many details as possible.

Thank you, 

~Keith

Alexey:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Processor 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

OS X El Capitan 10.11.3

Avid 8.5.2

Mixed sequence with AMA (mov from Canon EOS 5D Mk3) and imported DNxHD 120

Export to Quicktime mov h264

Duration 13 min

Still have issues with export

- MacPro, 2.66 GHz, 14G RAM; OS 10.8.4; MC DX Nitris; ISIS 4.5 - MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8G RAM, ISIS 4.5 - z800 Xeon 2.93Ghz, 12G RAM, Win 7, DX Nitris... [view my complete system specs]
Page 9 of 11 (163 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller