Latest post Thu, Dec 14 2017 6:12 PM by BobRusso. 23 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 2 2017 1:32 AM In reply to

Re: All these "computer" folders

If the folders were already there, they won't be deleted. Are you certain there aren't any older versions of Media Composer opening the project? Older versions will continue to create the folders and be seen by 8.6.5 or later.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Wed, Aug 2 2017 6:58 PM In reply to

Yeah we're all on 8.6.5, and it's still creating new folders. Thanks for getting back, I'll keep trying to solve the mystery. 

• Wed, Aug 2 2017 7:19 PM In reply to

Are you using ISIS or NEXIS? Media Composer 8.6.5 does not create these folders with ISIS or NEXIS, there must be an older version of Media Composer or these are old projects that had the folders already created. 

Media Composer 8.7 adds the ability to stop the prompt for saving of locked bins. This is a great workflow improvement.

• Thu, Sep 14 2017 11:22 PM In reply to

Hey, sorry for the late reply, I was waiting until we upgraded to see if that would help. So we are on MC 8.8.5 now and on NEXIS. These folders are still appearing in the project window. I delete them and they come back.

• Fri, Sep 15 2017 4:57 PM In reply to

I want to be certain we're talking about the same thing; are you referring to folders being added to the actual Project folder when looking at it with the operating system or the Project Window in Media Composer.

The Project folder in the OS will still have the folders created but these folders are now hidden in the Project Window in Media Composer.

If they are still showing in Media Composer you should call into support as I've never seen it before. The folders in the Project Folder need to be created and shouldn't be deleted.

• Wed, Dec 6 2017 8:40 PM In reply to

I'm reffering to the folders that appear in the project window in MC (not the folders that can be seen at the OS level). Sorry again for the late reply, been slammed here. I guess I'll have our IT guy call AVID and ask what's up.

• Tue, Dec 12 2017 6:02 PM In reply to

Are these old projects? If you create a new project are you still seeing the folders?

• Thu, Dec 14 2017 4:24 PM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London UK
    • Posts 461
    • Points 5,325
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Hi Bob

Can you confirm:

I can delete these folders when the project is closed, without any serious consequences. 

MC v8.6.5 stops newly created folders like this being visible in the Project window.

If true that's a really good incentive for me to upgrade our clients.
    Students aren't sharing projects, but are opening them on different clients - whichever edit suite is free when they turn up. This generates a lot of these folders which becomes messy and confuses students. We already have settings that adjust windows for the type of screen used.

Thanks

Nigel

EDIT :

Wow it works! They no longer show up in the project window, even ones created under an earlier version of MC.

Now I just have to upgrade 40 clients :)

ISIS 5500, with Interplay Production bundle, MC 8.6.1 & PT 12.5.1 on Mac OS X.11.3 with BM Mini-Monitors. Running on 2013 Mac Pros and 2016 21"... [view my complete system specs]

Less IS More!

• Thu, Dec 14 2017 6:12 PM In reply to

The folders in the project hold preferences for each seat of Media Composer. Deleting these folders and the placement and bin view will be lost. We didn't want to automatically hide the folder as it was possible place clips into the folder.

In MC 8.7 we added the ability to skip being prompted to save locked bins on Auto-Save. It's significant improvement in workflow. I have a new feature coming out in the next major release of Media Composer to further improve the collaborative workflow with NEXIS/ISIS and Media Composer.

What version are you installing?

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller