Latest post Fri, Sep 2 2016 1:39 AM by erwabo. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 27 2016 1:13 PM

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 28 2008
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

Avid AirSpeed

I recently built an Avid Adrenaline HD rig (dont ask) Looking around on Ebay I saw something called an Avid AirSpeed...which looks like a rather neat device. This was before my time doing video I think, but does anyone know if this can operate as a stand alone without having an Avid Unity Engine on the network. The manual said it can use internal drives to record video? It seems to have quite a few "requirements" but seems like it could possibly act as a stand alone. I noticed the Unity ran Windows 2003 server, which makes me wonder if I have a PC with attached storage and was running the Unity Software, would the AirSpeed pick up on it?

Pro Tools 12.5, Avid Media Composer Adrenaline HD 5.7, Studio Toolkit 5.7 [view my complete system specs]

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 10:23 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,516
    • Points 222,135
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Avid AirSpeed

Hi there.....

I asked one of our engineers to provide some guidance on your posts.

" First thing to note:   With Airspeed now known as ‘Airspeed Classic’ support ended in June 2015.  

Second, Avid Airspeed, as he recalls, can be configured in a ‘standalone’ mode with an editor by installing and configuring a Transfer Manager on the editing system, along with TM Client.  You could then set up the Transfer Manager to use FTP and target the Airspeed for manual transfer in either direction.  This was a traditional workflow, and configurable via Airspeed UI and editor settings.... and patience.    It can manage record of SD-formatted media (NTSC DV25/50, IMX30/50, PALDV25 422/420, IMX30/50, etc) and DNx HD when used with a DNxchange device.  It also allows for two playout channels and basic OSD monitoring.

Thirdly, as far as tossing a Unity setup into the mix, there ‘may’ be a way to get things going, although not any more convenient.  In that case, you’d still use the Transfer Manager to move media via FTP, and the editor would use workspaces rather than local storage to locate things.

There may be some configurations that could be made under-the-hood to get the Airspeed to connect to Unity workspaces, while still working with the editor directly, although this was never supported (it fell into the ‘I got it to work’ bucket of workflows, which isn’t exactly confidence-building).  This typically might involve manual editing of TM.ini files, config files, and modifying running processes on the Airspeed via command-line.  Not for the faint-of-heart.

Versioning, traditionally, would be worth verifying in this case, also, where the version of the editor is likely tied to a version of TMClient and Transfer Manager.  Any deviation could cause issues.

Lastly, at any rate, he can see some sorts of configuration/workflow that may have value in this case, however there are likely a few ghosts in the machine in setting things up."

HTH on behalf of Wayne

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Jan 28 2016 11:27 PM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

Marianna,

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. Also just so we are on the same page, I am talking about the AirSpeed with the screen on the front of it, not the multi stream...which according to the manual , supposedly a Unity is supported, but thats way before mytime =)

I guess then my questions would be:

1.DNxchange. Would the Adrenaline HD suffice since its got the DNxHD Card in there?

2. What would be my workflow with Avid MC Adreanline HD with an AirSpeed in the mix. Would Adrenaline still be my primary capture device and AirSpeed more or less storage/archiving/media drive?

Im kinda thinking, Adernaline capture to Media drive (or Unity if I get one) and then AirSpeed connected to Media Drive via FTP, but really not entirely sure since I havent used one. =)

Thanks again.

Pro Tools 12.5, Avid Media Composer Adrenaline HD 5.7, Studio Toolkit 5.7 [view my complete system specs]

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Fri, Feb 5 2016 12:28 PM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

Also, does anyone have a copy of the AirSpeed software and Interplay Transfer. I may be wrong, but I dont think the AirSpeed software was hard coded onto the device itself.  It used to be in the Avid download center but thanks to the wonderful Java licensing changes, I can no longer get it there.

Thanks

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Fri, Feb 5 2016 3:17 PM In reply to

• SilvaEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 3 2010
    • Posts 71
    • Points 905

Hey there

Wayne wanted me to let you know that it is always excellent to hear from the outside world!

"   Thanks so much for the detailed reply. Also just so we are on the same page, I am talking about the AirSpeed with the screen on the front of it, not the multi stream...which according to the manual , supposedly a Unity is supported, but thats way before mytime =)"

I agree, this is the original we are talking about—Here are the regular and faceless models, with a DNxchange at the top and bottom (I’ve covered up our pet names for the systems)

"   I guess then my questions would be:   1.DNxchange device...whats that? Would the Adrenaline HD suffice

Assuming that the Airspeed isn’t intended to record or playback HD media, Adrenaline can do whatever is needed.  Airspeed would need the additional DNxchange device to record/play HD/DNx media.

"  2. What would be my workflow with Avid MC Adreanline HD with an AirSpeed in the mix. Would Adrenaline still be my capture device and AirSpeed more or less storage/archiving/media drive?"  

There are options here—you can record baseband SD-SDI media with either device, playback with either device, and also can have access to storage via the Airspeed.  It remains a device that can record and play SD video.

HTH  Marianna "for Wayne"

• Fri, Feb 5 2016 5:10 PM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

Thanks, that makes sense. So, is the actual AirSpeed Software/OS built into an onboard logic board, or is this a standard Windows 2003 system with AirSpeed software installed on it? If so it would be almost entirely usless to buy one because I have not found that software available anywhere. I supposed with a FireWire deck attached to the Adrenaline, I wouldnt need an Airspeed at all, but they are well priced compared to the decks (with playback screens)I have been eyeing.  Im just wondering if I buy one of these on ebay with no software, Will it be useable?

THanks again

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Tue, Jun 28 2016 7:22 PM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

Does anyone know where I can get the older versions of the Interplay Transfer Manger? More specifically for MC 2.7 and 5.5.3?

THanks

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Wed, Jun 29 2016 5:08 PM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

"Second, Avid Airspeed, as he recalls, can be configured in a ‘standalone’ mode with an editor by installing and configuring a Transfer Manager on the editing system, along with TM Client.  You could then set up the Transfer Manager to use FTP and target the Airspeed for manual transfer in either direction. "

Where can I get the TM and the TM client now....its no longer available on the Avid site. I have MC 2.7.7 and MC 5.5.3 so i beleive I would need that same version. Im guessing without that, the Airspeed Classic is useless?

Thanks again

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Thu, Jul 28 2016 6:54 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,516
    • Points 222,135
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

erwabo.....

I can acces 3.5 and 3.0.5

Consult the ReadMe and all Interplay Production V3.5.x documentation on the Knowledge Base.

Here is a link to the ReadMe and all Interplay Transfer v3.0.5 documentation: Interplay Transfer v3.0 documentation

do either f these help?  If so email me and I can send

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Aug 8 2016 12:13 PM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

Marianna,

THanks so much for your assistance and for Avid support help. Unfortunatley due to support ending June of 2015, they are unable to get me an .ISO for Airspeed Classic and without a Unity Engine, I am unable to procure a copy of that. My only option at this point would be to find someone with a copy of the AirSpeed .ISO or purchase a Unity Engine...lol. I HAVE seen them for $500 on ebay, but rare to find one with the Unity License and Software as well.  SOMEBODY must have a copy of the .ISO...thus the search continues.

THanks again.

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Mon, Aug 8 2016 2:57 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,516
    • Points 222,135
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Have you tried to post to other location like the Avid L2 on yahoo and a few other Avid Facebook sites....

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Aug 8 2016 3:04 PM In reply to

• SilvaEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 3 2010
    • Posts 71
    • Points 905

Marianna

I think one of your colleagues accidentally posted as me (I was having issues with my account and they did a test with my login). Can you raise that with whomever you think it was?

Cheers

• Mon, Aug 8 2016 3:06 PM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

I have not, I will have to look into that. I was also going to purchase a Dnxchange, but I dont think it works with Airspeed 1.0. I noticed Dnxchange was mentioned in the manual for Airspeed 2.0. It SEEMS like in theory it would work (may be unsupported) but no mention of Dnxchange in 1.0 manual...so not sure im going to be able to do a ton with this 1.0 anyhow.

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

• Fri, Sep 2 2016 1:39 AM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

So I installed the TM Client and I was able to set up the setting to connect to the AS in the Transfer settings. However, when I click connect to server from the Transfer Tab, I get this in the console

Workgroup Transfer mode couldn't be determined! The Transfer Manager Server "asplay-2" may not be available.
        GetTMParameters returned 4 - tmParmValue="NULL" tmParmType="NULL" serverName="asplay-2"

When I use the Avid FTP Media Tool I am able to see all the clips on the AS, but I cant transfer anthing because I need a local TE install im guessing, but I was told from another user the client should be all thats required and tha the TM software is part of the AS image

any ideas?

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller