Latest post Wed, Jan 27 2016 10:02 PM by Mike Roth. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 27 2016 4:46 AM

• Mike Roth
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 27 2016
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Can't link to Quicktime files - MC 8.4.0

I'm a relatively new Avid user, but according to everything I've been reading online, this SHOULD be the easiest thing in the world.  I'm trying to link to some SD Quicktime .MOV files that were originally digitzed on a FCP7 system.  When I select FILE --> LINK TO MEDIA and then navigate to my files, I get the message "Unable to link to file or volume."

Error message

Even though Quicktime plug-in is supposed to be automatically installed, I checked AMA_LISTPLUGINS in the Console tool and, sure enough, version 1.4.0.8250 of the QT plug-in was installed.

AMA_ListPlugins

So I'm stuck.  All the documentation and posts I've found indicate this should be an easy process.

I'm using MC 8.4.0 on a MBP running OS X El Capitan.  Many thanks in advance for any help.

MacBook Pro (mid 2014) OS X High Sierra MC 8.4.0 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Wed, Jan 27 2016 4:54 AM In reply to

Re: Can't link to Quicktime files - MC 8.4.0

What kind of QuickTime files?  Which codec?

First of all - no version of MC is supported on El Capitan yet.  I don't know if that's the cause of your problem, but it may be a factor.

Regardless - remember, ".mov" is just a container - one that can contain a VERY wide variety of actual formats.  In order for QuickTime to be able to read a given file, the QuickTime component for that particular file must be installed.  Many are installed by default, but others are not - some get installed when you buy a FCP suite product, for example.

However, one other thing to check - might it be a filename thing?  Check the filename itself AND the ENTIRE path to it (including folder names) to check for possibly-illegal characters.  I tend to name everything with letters, numbers, dashes, and spaces.  Certain characters will trigger issues with media in MC - especially things like slashes, bars, and certain others.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 27 2016 5:06 AM In reply to

• Mike Roth
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

When I GET INFO about the .MOV files, the codec is listed as DV/DVCPRO - NTSC.  Does that help?

Also, if I double click the QT files from Finder, QT opens it up and plays it with no problem.  Are there other components I'd need to install for MC to play nice?

I also double checked the filenames and there don't seem to be any issues with illegal characters.

MacBook Pro (mid 2014) OS X High Sierra MC 8.4.0 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Wed, Jan 27 2016 5:36 PM In reply to

Also try selecting QuickTime instead of letting the system Autodetect the AMA plugin.

If not, do you have a small file you can post somewhere to test?

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Jan 27 2016 6:49 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,398
    • Points 17,275

Make sure you have quicktime 7 installed, not just Quicktime X.  (You may have done this but I see no indication of it in your posts or profile.)

• Wed, Jan 27 2016 10:02 PM In reply to

• Mike Roth
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Ah, I DID just have Quicktime X installed, so I installed Quicktime 7.  The system recognized my old registration code, so I was good to go.  Still no luck.

Then I tried Kevin's suggestion above to select Quicktime instead of letting it auto detect.  Once I did that, I saw that MC was not recognizing any of my QT files as QT files.  That made me look closer at the filenames, which had no extension, but which finder recognized as QT files.  So I just manually added the extension .mov to the filename, and joila!  It worked!  I tried changing another filename and linking to it with auto detect selected, and it worked again.  

So the issue appears to be that MC didn't find the filename extension it was looking for.  It might have also been Quicktime 7 vs Quicktime X, though I didn't know to change the filename until I had already installed Quicktime 7, so I can't say for sure.

Thanks everyone for all your assistance.

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller