Latest post Mon, Feb 22 2016 6:22 AM by markperryeditor. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 18 2016 2:57 AM

• tdvenice
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 3 2010
    • Posts 26
    • Points 410

Best i/o break-out box for MC 8.5 to supply 3rd monitor, etc

I've recently up-graded from MC 5.5 to MC 8.5 and as a result my Matrox Mini doesn't work. And all the threads that I've found says that it is time to throw it away. 

Any suggestions as to replacement? What is the best PCI card i/o that will allow a third monitor for full screen, and some audio and video inputs/outputs?

Aja? Or?

And a second product question - has any manufacturer created a hub that has more than two thunderbolt inputs? Again I need to have a third monitor for full time, full screen, in this case from a lap top that has just one Thunderbolt port.

Thanks!

td

• Mon, Jan 18 2016 9:35 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,460
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Best i/o break-out box for MC 8.5 to supply 3rd monitor, etc

I've used various Blackmagic hardware from time to time, I have no problem with it. Some say AJA is better. YMMV. 

I think the Blackmagic Mini Monitor PCIe card is hard to beat at $145, but that's output only and SDI. For I/O with a few formats you'd probably look at the Intensity Pro for $199 (HDMI and Analogue I/O, but no SDI) or the Decklink Studio 4K for $595 (SDI, HDMI and Analogue I/O). 

From AJA the best option is probably the Kona LHe for $995 but that is SDI and Analogue only, no HDMI. The Kona LHi adds HDMI at $1495.

For Thunderbolt I think you're out of luck. People talked about Thunderbolt hubs, but I don't any exist yet. The best you can hope for seems to be devices that offer Thunderbolt pass-through (ie. two ports, one in and one out). None of the small Thunderbolt I/O hardware I know of offers that.

However the higher-spec Blackmagic Ultrastudio products (the Ultrastudio 4K and Ultrastudio 4K Extreme) do. So does the Avid DNxIO (which is based on the Ultrastudio 4K Extreme). 

The smaller AJA T-Tap and Blackmagic MiniMoniter Thunderbolt are just single-port devices. 

You could use something like the OWC Thunderbolt 2 Dock though. It provides Thunderbolt pass-through, and also breaks out to a number of USB 3 connections which could then be used with something like the Blackmagic UltraStudio SDI or UltraStudio Pro which are both USB 3 I/O devices with SDI, HDMI and, in the case of the Pro, Analogue, support.

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Mon, Jan 18 2016 1:02 PM In reply to

MC 8.5 or MC 8.4.5?  If MC 8.5, that would be yet-unreleased software.

But MC 8.4.5 - are you sure it doesn't work?  Have you installed the latest drivers?  My MXO2 MAX is working fine.

Dylan's suggestions above are definitely options, AJA and BlackMagic make products that work well.  Look around to see which products have ins/outs that you actually need.  There are "monitor-only" devices that are inexpensive.

For configuration - you may have only one TB port, but might you also have a HDMI port on there?  That way you can go to a second monitor for edit interface, bins, etc. over HDMI, then your playback/monitoring on TB with your monitoring hardware.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.5, Avid Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 18 2016 5:21 PM In reply to

• blindpew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 5 2011
    • Posts 45
    • Points 485

If you can justify the cost (!), the Apple 27" monitor connects to your laptop via thunderbolt, and also has a spare TB connector on the back. This can be used for a drive, and then if the drive has TB loop-through, can run on to an IO device, e.g. Black Magic. Works well.

freelance - hence many and various... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 19 2016 3:43 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 754
    • Points 9,340

tdvenice:
    I've recently up-graded from MC 5.5 to MC 8.5 and as a result my Matrox Mini doesn't work. And all the threads that I've found says that it is time to throw it away. 

Really?  Running 8.3 on a mini here with no problems and I haven't read anything to sugest that it wont work with 8.5??  Now support under Windows 10 - that I have heard from Matrox they don't intend to support with drivers?  Check your drivers for the MXO are up to date and that the MXO updated it's firmware in the process.  It should IFAIK work?

MC8.10 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. NewBlue Titler 6... [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

• Tue, Jan 19 2016 9:16 AM In reply to

• d-media
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 5 2013
    • Posts 78
    • Points 800

Version 4.6 of the Matrox drivers supports Media Composer 8.4, hopefully they also work with 8.4.5 !?

Kim G. Rasmussen | Design & Media | Independent AV/IT-Consultant

• Tue, Jan 19 2016 7:46 PM In reply to

• Sam I Am
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 16 2006
    • Posts 125
    • Points 1,710

DylanReeve:

...You could use something like the OWC Thunderbolt 2 Dock though. It provides Thunderbolt pass-through, and also breaks out to a number of USB 3 connections which could then be used with something like the Blackmagic UltraStudio SDI or UltraStudio Pro which are both USB 3 I/O devices with SDI, HDMI and, in the case of the Pro, Analogue, support.

I'm wondering whether I cobble together a 3-screen set-up on my mid 2010 MacBook Pro running Yosemite and MC 8.4.5. My idea was to use a OWC Thunderbolt 2 Dock into the DisplayPort of the MBP. An HDMI cable out from the dock would connect to the 2nd computer moniter and a Thunderbolt cable out fromthe dock and into a BM Mini monitor box, to be connected to the client monitor.

Could this work?

• Fri, Feb 12 2016 1:34 AM In reply to

Did you ever get an answer Sam?

iMac 2017 3.5ghz core i5. 24 gig ram. Blackmagic mini monitor. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 12 2016 1:44 AM In reply to

• tdvenice
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 3 2010
    • Posts 26
    • Points 410

Not Sam here - but no - Nary an answer on that one yet.  I didn't ask that question - but I'd be interested to hear the answer. Thanks!

td

• Fri, Feb 12 2016 1:50 AM In reply to

I may be able to answer a very expensive question soon. Already ordered thinking this would be a solution. Think it may not be.......

iMac 2017 3.5ghz core i5. 24 gig ram. Blackmagic mini monitor. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 12 2016 2:53 AM In reply to

Sam - this will not work.  DisplayPort is not Thunderbolt.  DisplayPort is just a display standard.  So, on older computers where the port was just DisplayPort, all it can do is drive a display.

Later on, Thunderbolt was created - this was a combination of DisplayPort and PCIe on a single cable.  This was a new standard, so naturally only newer computers had it. 

A Thunderbolt device will never work on a computer that has just a DisplayPort port.  It will not recognize the Thunderbolt dock at all.  It will not drive the BM Mini monitor either.

To use Thunderbolt devices, your computer must have a Thunderbolt port.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.5, Avid Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 12 2016 3:25 AM In reply to

Sometimes I would like to have some of the old days back!  For example back when my Decklink Extreme 3D was new BlackMagic's Mac driverallowed me to make the Decklink PCI card a third OS display.  Sadly they stopped doing that so I only had it running like that for about 10 months (with Protools.)  But the downside was that I could not co-install MC so never had the opportunity to try it with MC.

• Mon, Feb 22 2016 6:22 AM In reply to

Success!!

OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock, connected to late 2011 macbook pro with single thunderbolt port. The dock connects to the thunderbolt port, HDMI monitor to to HDMI connection, client monitor connects to spare thunderbolt connection with a blackmagic mini monitor attatched. Three screens from a laptop! Have only tried a very short job on this set-up, no reason to think it wont work on something more complicated. Computer gets very hot in continuous playback, so keep it cool. Cool!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller