Latest post Thu, Jan 7 2016 12:48 AM by Tom. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 6 2016 8:26 PM

• Tom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 31 2012
    • Posts 10
    • Points 130

Live capture on set using capture tool and Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder

Has anyone done this?

I have a fast-approaching shoot where I need to live-record an SDI feed out of video village and cut temp rushes so the director can see immediately if his fx shots are working etc.

The production has previously used the UltraStudio Mini Recorder into Blackmagic Media Express and recorded ProRes, which can be cut more or less instantaneously in FCP.

Problem is it's a tricky, fx-laden edit and I'm not going to be able to learn Final Cut in time to do 18-plus nested animattes etc!

Has anyone used the Blackmagic box to record straight into capture tool? A wild-record is fine, I don't need timecode as its just a temp edit, we won't be trying to re-link to the rushes or anything.

The production is sending me the Mini Recorder and I also have an Intensity Shuttle here I can test with if I can only find a camera that sends 1080p25 via HDMI.

I popped into a camera shop yesterday and managed to get a JVC to send 1080i50 to Media Express, but Capture Tool couldn't detect a video signal.

I do hear bad things about Blackmagic support - I haven't heard back from them myself days after calling. I could potentially go AJA, though it's late in the game - I fly out Monday. We'll be running and gunning around a ship, so it really needs to be a small thunderbolt or USB unit, no external power.

I'm interested in any thoughts anyone may have on the best way to do this? Small sentences please, I'm used to sitting in an edit suite cutting perfectly transcoded rushes!

Thanks in advance,

Tom

MC 8.4.0, MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2.8 GHz dual core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB, 1 TB, Yosemite Mac... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 7 2016 12:15 AM In reply to

Re: Live capture on set using capture tool and Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder

I do live streaming with a Mini Recorder but it feeds Wirecast and I record with that as well as send a stream to a server.

If I was you,  I would capture with Media Express and then AMA the rusulting clip(s).  Normally I would not AMA but since you are in a hurry that might be the way to facilitate the quick turnaround. 

Be aware that it is normal for a Mini Recorder to get hot.  I have two of them and they both do it.

Good Fortune,

Robert

2018 MacBook Pro,I7 2.6GHz/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 560X 4GB/500GB SSD/External RAID0/Mojave & MacPro Early 2009 24GB/GTX1080Ti/1GB SSD/HIT2TB/WD1TB/ProAvio... [view my complete system specs]

Robert A. Ober
    IT Consultant, Vidcaster, & Freelance Preditor(Producer/Editor)
    www.infohou.com
    Houston, TX

• Thu, Jan 7 2016 12:48 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 31 2012
    • Posts 10
    • Points 130

Re: Live capture on set using capture tool and Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder

bump

Thanks Robert!

Yes I've been thinking about AMA, but I don't think it's going to cope with all the multi-layered nested fx I'll have to do for this job. A good backup though.

Has anyone successfully used Capture Tool & Blackmagic? Should be possible right? Blackmagic appears 'greyed out' in my video source menu (audio is selectable).

Thanks again,

Tom

MC 8.4.0, MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2.8 GHz dual core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB, 1 TB, Yosemite Mac... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller