Latest post Sun, Jan 3 2016 7:47 PM by Simone. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 31 2015 1:52 AM

• Simone
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 31 2015
    • Milano (Italy)
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Problems batch importing MOV files.

Hi everybody!

I am learning to use Avid MC on a quite old system provided by my school.

As an exercise, i am trying to edit a video with mixed file formats.

Basically i have:

-MOV files recorded with a reflex camera (1080p\25fps)

-MTS files recorded with a Canon videocamera (1080p\25fps)

The PC is a Windows 7 Ultimate, 16 gb ram, double Xeon processor with MC 8.0 and QT version 7.78.80.95.

Oddly, i can perfectly manage MTS files in the composer window, but MOV files preview is a nightmare (slow and dropping frames even at "best performance").

So, based on the info i got during my classes, i AMA linked all the MOV files, moved the project type from 1080p\25 to 25p PAL, transcoded all the files to a lower rate format, removed the AMA links from the bin and edited my test video.

All worked smooth and easy.

Before exporting, i moved back the project to a 1080p\25, the timeline turned yellow, did a copy of the sequence and launched a batch import. A window came up correctly idendifying all the mark in\out points of the original MOV hi def files. Then i launched the import to get a DNxHD.

And here comes the problem: the system just hangs while "creating video from QT for..." then the application crashes or hangs indefinitely.

I tried dozens of times, doing the following:

-reinstalled QT

-encoded original files into "proxy" files in many different formats

-disabled AV

-updated various drivers

-moved the project on a different HD

-separated audio and video on different HD

-removed any other codec or codec packs

I can't reinstall MC or the OS as i don't have access to official installation files up to the 18th of January...but i'm supposed to end my test project for that day.

What am i doing wrong? Is it a software issue?

I've gone through different post dealing with this issue, and looks like converting to some other format is the deal. And i tried converting from MOV to MP4 or DNxHD but i have a bunch of other problems related to licenses so it looks like i can't work\import with those.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

MC 8.0 on a Dual Xeon 5110, 16 gb ram, 1 SATA-2 500 gb, 3x SATA-2 RAID 5, ATI Radeon HD 4350 (sic...) [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 31 2015 8:45 AM In reply to

• dor
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Israel
    • Posts 596
    • Points 7,585

Re: Problems batch importing MOV files.

Hi

You can try this:

1. Make another copy of your sequence to a new BIN

2. Close all other BINs

3. "hide" or rename your  Avid MediaFiles folder  so all media will get OFFLINE if load your sequence

4. From the "hamburger" menu at the lower left side aelect "set bin display" and then "show refence clips"

5. All the clips will appear.

6. if you right click your MOV files and choose RELINK TO AMA, and select the orignal MOV files

7. This will link back your  sequence to the original clips

8. Rename back your  Avid MediaFiles folder

9. Export

MC 2018.4 + MXO2 mini. CPU I7 2600K + 32GB RAM. Nvidia GTX970 driver 388.71. QT.7.7.9 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 31 2015 5:32 PM In reply to

• Simone
    • Not Ranked
    • Milano (Italy)
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Will try in a while, thanks!!

MC 8.0 on a Dual Xeon 5110, 16 gb ram, 1 SATA-2 500 gb, 3x SATA-2 RAID 5, ATI Radeon HD 4350 (sic...) [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 31 2015 7:26 PM In reply to

• Simone
    • Not Ranked
    • Milano (Italy)
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Problem at point 5 and 6:

5 - they do show up, but the transcoded low reas version, not the original MOV (that was basically not used in the sequence...)

6 - i don't have the MOV linked file in the new bin with the copied sequence, only the  sequence and the low res file.

Thanks!

• Fri, Jan 1 2016 7:54 AM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 934
    • Points 11,945

Simone:

So, based on the info i got during my classes, i AMA linked all the MOV files, moved the project type from 1080p\25 to 25p PAL, transcoded all the files to a lower rate format, removed the AMA links from the bin and edited my test video.

All worked smooth and easy.

Before exporting, i moved back the project to a 1080p\25, the timeline turned yellow, did a copy of the sequence and launched a batch import.

Try another method. After you switched back to 1080p/25, AMA-link the MOV files you have used. They will show up in the bin with your copy of the sequence. Mark all AMA-linked clips and run a transcode to DNxHD (menu: CLIPS > CONSOLIDATE/TRANSCODE). After transcoding has finished, do a Relink of your sequence and select your specific format and DNxHD codec you have used for transcode. You will find these parameters at the bottom of the relink window. Select "Format equal to". Mark "Create new sequence" at the very bottom of the window. You get a new sequence relinked to DNxHD files.

If it happens, that there are some clips not relinked to the transcoded DNxHD files but to the AMA-linked files, then close MC, temporarely rename the folder which holds your AMA-linked MOV files. If you now start MC, all clips linked to AMA-linked files will be off-line. Now re-run the Relink Command with the parameters used in the first relink. All clips should now be linked correctly.

Joachim  

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Sun, Jan 3 2016 12:11 PM In reply to

• dor
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Israel
    • Posts 596
    • Points 7,585

I would Relink the Transcided low res clips (that should be OFFLINE), back to the origial Hi Res clips

MC 2018.4 + MXO2 mini. CPU I7 2600K + 32GB RAM. Nvidia GTX970 driver 388.71. QT.7.7.9 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 3 2016 7:47 PM In reply to

• Simone
    • Not Ranked
    • Milano (Italy)
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Will try later, thanks!!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller