Latest post Thu, Nov 26 2015 9:43 AM by mjolnarn. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Nov 22 2015 7:01 PM

• Toby
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 4 2013
    • Los Angeles, California
    • Posts 66
    • Points 790

Old Firewire/dv cameras that work with latest avid (!!!)

Hi everyone!

I know this sounds rather silly, but I've been working on some training materials - for high school age kids - and have discovered that good ol' DV ingest (mini dv tapes) is actually the most straightforward way to demonstrate quite a few things, without the expense of decks etc! :-)

Does anyone have any current experience with this?

I'm on the latest version of Avid, and I'm going to buy a firewire card for my PC, and also a camera.

I was considering the Sony HC-9 for $279 or so...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00123Q936/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Anyone currently using a DV or HDV camera in this manner, via a PC firewire card (either TI or Via chipset)?

BTW I've read other posts that Media Composer 8.4.1 and 8.4.2 have a bug with capturing HDV tape via firewire connected decks/camcorders, so I realise I may need to downgrade MC to get capture working.

It also sounds like, from that thread, that I need to try for a PCI card that has a TI chipset not a VIA... but I have no idea really. LOL.

Toby

PC tower: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4Ghz. 32gb RAM. 64 bit Win10 Pro. Avid 2018.12.3.51505 (as of May 2019). GTX 1070 Ti. [view my complete system specs]

Mr TV Editor
    Los Angeles, California

Filed under: ,
  • Sun, Nov 22 2015 9:31 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,650
    • Points 46,840
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Old Firewire/dv cameras that work with latest avid (!!!)

Being one of the users who has problems with HDV ingest, I'm running on MC 8.4.0 without issues. I haven't had a chance yet to go out and get a different firewire card with TI chip to replace my Via based one and see if that works.

My current setup is still tape based HDV, and I occasionally go back and ingest older DV tapes, and even my Hi-8 and Digital-8 tapes. I haven't had any issues with 8.4.0 and earlier.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Nov 23 2015 5:16 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,660

FWIW, IEEE 1394 w/TI chipset was required in prior MC versions. Don't recall reading that paticuar requirement in some time. 

Also, FWIW & that may be very little, the Avid HP Z400 configuration guidelines specify don't use PCI 1394 cards. Warning, "Do Not Use. Will cause BUS contention with embedded 1394 controller." 

Just scanned newegg for 1394 cards. They're typically $20-$65. Even if one becomes a total write-off it isn't crippling. 

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 26 2015 2:20 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,650
    • Points 46,840
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Just to note: I've got a card with TI chip coming (from China; could be a couple of weeks before it gets here).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Nov 26 2015 9:43 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Toby:

Does anyone have any current experience with this?

I'm on the latest version of Avid, and I'm going to buy a firewire card for my PC, and also a camera.

I was considering the Sony HC-9 for $279 or so...

Anyone currently using a DV or HDV camera in this manner, via a PC firewire card (either TI or Via chipset)?

My HDV HC 1e , on the cam certified list, still works as good as when it was new and also with the latest Avid versions , about VIA Firewire chipsets , and as mentioned elsewhere , I would never touch those , they didn´t work in old Liquid either.

Toby:

BTW I've read other posts that Media Composer 8.4.1 and 8.4.2 have a bug with capturing HDV tape via firewire connected decks/camcorders,

This is a user forum , you will never see happy and satisfied users here , they come here to complain about something

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller