Latest post Wed, Oct 28 2015 7:20 PM by pbutterfly. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 27 2015 4:37 AM

Quicktime Export out of sync

I've been trying to export a Quicktime Reference movie , 1920 x 1080, and encode and burn it in Toast Titanium. This was working perfectly before, but now although the blu-ray looks gorgeous, the sync is off by about 6 frames. All of my settings are the same as before. I've tried several times to export it as a Quicktime Movie, but 8 hours through the total 15 hours it aborts and I get "exception parameter error." Again, this is a completely new problem. I was not having this problem at all about a month ago, with the same sequence and the same settings.

Since I can't open the reference file in Quicktime, I can't adjust the sync there either. I am running Mac OS 10.10.5, cutting on Media Composer 8, and runing Quicktime 10.4. I'm not going to try to make a Quicktme movie anymore because it takes too long. I have to get this off to a festival in the morning. 

The only significant things I've changed since I last made a quicktime reference movie are some of the credits which I lengthened, and I created a new project and imported the sequences into that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Media Composer 8.3.1, Mac OS 10.10.5, Sorenson Squeeze 10, Quicktime Player 4, Toast 14.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 27 2015 5:37 AM In reply to

Re: Quicktime Export out of sync

Export a Same-As-Source Quicktime. That should not take longer than realtime unless there's heaps of unrendered effects. But if you have heaps of unrendered effects, a QT Reference won't be instantaneous either.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 27 2015 5:52 AM In reply to

Thanks, I'll try that! Is the same-as-source video high quality? I want to make a blu-ray.

Media Composer 8.3.1, Mac OS 10.10.5, Sorenson Squeeze 10, Quicktime Player 4, Toast 14.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 27 2015 6:29 AM In reply to

Same-As-Source will export in the codec that your footage is in. So yes, the quality of that exports literally equals what yiu have on your timeline.

It does help if all your footage is in the same codec or data rate, otherwise MC will pick the highest data rate and convert all other clips to that data rate (which takes sine time of course).

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 27 2015 4:20 PM In reply to

Thanks so much! This solved part of my problem, which is that I couldn't check the Quicktime reference movie to see if it was in sync or not. It turns out that it is in sync, so it must be something with my toast program, either encoding or burning. But the mystery is unraveling...!

• Wed, Oct 28 2015 1:56 PM In reply to

So yes, the problem was with my Toast Titanium encoding. I encoded it in Sorenson Squeeze and burned it in Toast, and now it's in sync. But the same-as-source Quicktime export did not look as good as the Quicktime reference movie. Quicktime washes out colors, so it's better to bypass Quciktime and go straight to encoding. Definitely solved my problem though, to be able to see the sync in Quicktime, and I'm sure it's the best way to export a stand-alone Quicktime movie, so thanks aagain!

• Wed, Oct 28 2015 2:04 PM In reply to

pbutterfly:
    Quicktime washes out colors, so it's better to bypass Quciktime and go straight to encoding.
    That's not necessarily true. You may want to read up on the export options in MC that allow for a playback flag to correct from video levels to full range.

• Wed, Oct 28 2015 2:19 PM In reply to

Oh really? Is there a color option with the same-as-source export? 

• Wed, Oct 28 2015 2:50 PM In reply to

• Wed, Oct 28 2015 6:41 PM In reply to

Your article was very interesting. I will try exporting with RGB to Quicktime and I will let you know how it goes.

• Wed, Oct 28 2015 7:20 PM In reply to

The color does look a little better when exported with RGB. But its strange that when I watched my Quicktime same-as-source movie exported with 601 it was understaurated and too blue, and when I encoded from that movie it was overstaurated and too red. Exported with RGB, it's still a little understaurated and blue. The colors are very vibrant and true if I skip the Quicktime step all together.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller