Latest post Fri, Sep 18 2015 2:32 PM by Keith R. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 4 2015 6:56 AM

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,467
    • Points 63,430
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Media Composer 8.4.1 | NOW AVAILABLE

Media Composer 8.4.1 is now available in the Download Center or via the Application Manager.

Features and fixes include:

Support for Artist | DNxIO: This update includes support for the Artist | DNxIO hardware. For more information about the capabilities and features of the DNxIO, please refer to the DNxIO Setup Guide <http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/User_Guide/Avid-Artist-DNxIO-Documentation>

New Mac OS Support: This update now supports Mac OS 10.10.4 and 10.10.5

-  Bug fixes:

1. In some instances, trim changes did not apply if you performed a trim quickly.

2.  iLok licensing errors might have appeared when launching Media Composer.

3. Scrubbing audio with XDCAM media was slow.

4. Accessing an AMA media folder took a long time if there were many subfolders in the    shared directory.

5. The Get Info window might have crashed the application.

6. The Send To Playback Temp folder was filling up over time.

7. Having Clip Frames enabled in the Timeline could cause the application to be slow to respond.

8. In some cases, consolidating a sequence consolidated the enter source clip rather than just what was used in the timeline.

9. Audio effects saved to a bin did not apply after quitting out of the application.

10. AAFs created from the Sony PDZ Content Browser software would not relink properly.

11. Consolidating an AAF sequence could result in lost renders.

Licensing and Activation:  The ability to launch Media Composer  (v8.4.1) software is dependent on the status of your Avid Upgrade and Support Plan on the date this software version was released (in this case September 3, 2015).  If your plan has expired, you will not have access to the new software unless you purchase a renewal within 30 days of the expiration date.   Each build (software release) of Media Composer has a hard-coded release date.  All Media Composer v8.x licenses (Software, Dongle, and Floating Licenses) will be updated with the active Avid Upgrade and Support Plan start and end dates.  Media Composer will poll the Avid Upgrade and Support plan information in the license upon launch, and then compare it to its build date.   If your plan is active then you will be provided access to Media Composer v8.4.1 (September 3, 2015).

How to Update:  Please read the How to Update Your License page before upgrading to this release.  More detailed information is also available on the Upgrade and Support Plan FAQ page.  I have also posted most of this information in the Licensing forum / FAQ and Announcement section.

FlexVersioner:  Reminder that the FlexVersioner is no longer supported for the v8.4.1 release.  See the Support Upgrade  article for instructions on how to upgrade your license.

Documentation: The latest ReadMe and more can be found on the Media Composer Documentation page.

Application Manager:  The Application Manager remains at version 2.4.2.

Compatibility:  For complete system compatibility and requirements (including Interplay and ISIS) for Media Composer v8.4.1 please visit the Media Composer System Requirements page.

Installers:  There are full installers for Mac and Windows as well as Patch installers for Mac and Windows.  The Patch Installers are designed to install on systems with Media Composer 8.4 currently installed.

ReadMe:  Customers are encouraged to read the “ReadMe” for additions, changes/updates included with this release.

IMPORTANT REMINDER: All customers currently using a Media Composer v8.0 license, and either running Media Composer v8.2.x or lower, or have recently renewed their Upgrade & Support plan, may need to re-activate their license in order to run the latest software release. This procedure is similar to upgrading a license with past releases, however customers will use their current Media Composer v8.0 licenses and will not require new ones. For more information, please see this article: Media Composer  Support Contract License Update

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Fri, Sep 4 2015 9:21 AM In reply to

Re: Media Composer 8.4.1 | NOW AVAILABLE

Hi,

I do not read about any fix of the tilte tool with non english languages and I'm not sure if a bug has been logged as I've seen others report the issue but not seen escalation.

Here in Greece the title tool crashes but not in a reproducable way. I can save a title like 10 times and crash on the same title the 11th time. MC 8.3.1 has until now not produced the problem.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Sep 4 2015 1:49 PM In reply to

• R. S.
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 4 2015
    • Posts 6
    • Points 115

8.4.1 is showing up in the Avid Application Manager (OS X 10.10.5). I've tried installing twice now, the intaller runs (taking a longer than expected time), the computer restarts, and Media Composer has not been updated - it still shows in Application Manager and launches as 8.4.0, and Application Manager reports that an "update is available".

• Fri, Sep 4 2015 7:45 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,467
    • Points 63,430

R.S.: You can also download the patch version from the Download Center.

Jereon: Some fixes with descending characters and title rolls are indicated in the READ ME.  Not sure about if the issue you're having has been addressed, hopefully Marianna can chime in.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

• Sat, Sep 5 2015 12:06 AM In reply to

• gorky
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 16 2005
    • Posts 133
    • Points 1,630

After installing new version I have experienced buggy playback in trimming mode on external monitor with AJA Io Express. The picture on monitor begin to cramble into noize.

After returning to 8.4 all remain without bugs.

I think that new drivers for Avid Artist DNxIO spoiled Open IO drivers.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB, OSX 10.11.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 8 2015 1:12 AM In reply to

• Corkey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 7 2015
    • Posts 18
    • Points 195

I upgraded to 10.10.5, then upgraded Avid Applications Manager, which lists version 8.3.1.34700 – until you click on "What's New?" underneath. This opens a window which reads "Media Composer v8.4.1". I downloaded this, but the install fails (I've tried four times, multiple restarts, etc.) Other downloads (Codecs PE, New Blue Titler Pro 2) install without issue.

Can anyone offer a suggestion for a fix?

MacBookPro mid-2012, 10.10.5, Media Composer 8.3.1

Retina MacBookPro 15" 16GB (mid-2012); iMac 27" 4.0 quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo to 4.2, 32GB, (late 2015). [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 8 2015 1:58 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,467
    • Points 63,430

Go to the Downloads Center and download the Patch.

• Tue, Sep 8 2015 2:37 AM In reply to

• Corkey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 7 2015
    • Posts 18
    • Points 195

Thank you – worked the charm.

Retina MacBookPro 15" 16GB (mid-2012); iMac 27" 4.0 quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo to 4.2, 32GB, (late 2015). [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 8 2015 2:41 PM In reply to

• Tom Dziedzic
    • Not Ranked
    • Falls Church VA USA
    • Posts 115
    • Points 1,385

So, i'm on 8.3.  No need to uninstall 8.3  but install the full 8.4.1 package, right? 

Work: Media Composer 8.5.2 - HP Intel Zeon CPU-ES-2640 32 GB Ram Windows 7 Home: Media Composer 8.3.0 - iMac 27inch 3.4Ghz i7, OS 10.10.1 - 16 GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 8 2015 4:23 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,467
    • Points 63,430

Upgrades on MC 8.x on OSX can be done using the patch installer.  I don't know if using the full installer without an uninstall is OK or not.

• Tue, Sep 8 2015 4:54 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,810
    • Points 213,010
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

If you have an Active upgrade and support plan and have activated Media Composer v8.0 - v8.2 and upgrade to v8.3 without deactivating first, you may encounter the error message "Current license has no contract expiration date.

Please go to Avid Support Website for details on updating your license.

If you are connected to the internet, to fix this error do the following

1.   Launch the Application Manager utility

2.  Select to "Deactivate" your Media Composer license.

3.  Once your system is deactivated, simply activate again.  This new activation will pick up your current upgrade and support plan expiration date.

4.  Close the Application Manager window.

5.  Launch Media Composer

HTH

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Sep 14 2015 9:57 AM In reply to

• mrtrees
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 8 2006
    • London
    • Posts 301
    • Points 4,070

None of that works.

The application manger is useless, even downloading the installer from the download centre doesnt work as expected. Throwing up random errors one after the other.

Avid support gave me a list of files and folders to delete to cure teh problem, surprise surpsrise this didnt work either and was quite frankly ridiculous given i have 35 systmes to upgrade.

Dont ask me how but finally after rebotting, logging in and out, delteign and reinstallign i have one system of MC 8.4.1 running, although only on trial because apparntly the activation server can not be reached.

If this while process wasnt so ridiculous id be furious, but after ten years of workign with Avid and Media Composer i have to say it is par for the course and i am genuinely not surprised.

Congratulations i youhave been able to upgrade with no problems. I certainly havent

MC 2018.7.1/OSX 10.13.5/AJA IO4K/Nexis Client 7.10/ISIS server 4.7.11 Mac Pro 3GHZ 8 Core Intel Xon E5/32GB ISIS 5000 sys director/ 2 x 32 TB expansion... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 14 2015 2:35 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,810
    • Points 213,010
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Can you email me directly?

system ID and activation and bversion you wish to use?

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, Sep 16 2015 3:12 AM In reply to

After selecting download then install Installer comes up with error:

Media Composer can't be installed on this disk . An error occurred while evaluating JavaScript for the package.

Running 10.9.5 on all of our systems.had mc 8.4 installed with App manager 2.4.2 What gives?

Most are New MacPro 12 core or 8 Core 2012 MacPros with 24+ Gb Ram nvidia gtx 1070 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 16 2015 3:20 AM In reply to

Just tried from the download center. That patch file didn't work either. Same error message.

Most are New MacPro 12 core or 8 Core 2012 MacPros with 24+ Gb Ram nvidia gtx 1070 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller